Outback to the Top End from Alice Springs, 9 Days - SAVE $475
Deal Number 4617542
Just go. Make your dream holiday your next holiday with easy Interest Free repayments over the next 9 months on packages over $999. For full product information please see our interest free page.
Duration 9 days
Destination Northern Territory
Availability Valid for select departures 1 April - 31 October 2017
- 9 day tour departing Alice Springs
- 1 night camping (with shared facilities)
- 5 nights accommodation in permanent tented camps (with shared facilities)
- 2 nights accommodation in Hostels (multishare)
- 6 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 6 dinners
- Activities as per itinerary
- Services of an experienced guide
- Transport by all-terrain vehicle and plane
- WAS $2495*, NOW $2020*, SAVE $475*
- Valid for select departures 1 April - 31 October 2017
Visit Northern Territory
Alice Springs - Uluru - Uluru Sunrise - Kings Canyon - Darwin - Mary River Wetlands - Ubirr - Kakadu National Park - Nitmiluk National Park - Litchfield National Park
Day 1 Alice Springs to Uluru.
Alice Springs certainly has its charms - we'd recommend arriving here a day or two early if you have the time - but the Red Centre's wilds are what you're really here to see, right? Heading into the outback by 4WD, first stop is a working camel farm where you'll have the opportunity to hop aboard one of these desert ships for a quick ride across the scrublands. By lunchtime we will have arrived at our permanent campsite in Yulara, from where it's a short drive to Kata Tjuta. A rambling sprawl of colossal rock domes and gaping ravines, you'll get to know Kata Tjuta pretty well on guided hike before returning to camp in time for an Uluru sunset. Final highlight of the day is our famous 1,000 Star Dinner, where you'll get to enjoy a candlelit spread of Australian food and wines beneath a blanket of stars.
Day 2 Uluru Sunrise.
348 m tall at its highest point and nearly 10 kms in circumference, Uluru qualifies as Australia's second largest monolith (Mount Augustus is the first). Gazing up at this behemoth from the ground, it's hard to believe that this is all one solid slab of rock you're looking at - and harder still to believe that 7/8s of it is believed to lie underground. Rise and shine early, we've factored in some free time so you can take a walk around the rock while the day's still cool (and relatively crowd-free). You'll get an insight into the rock's significance by those who know it best - the Mutitjulu people - on a cultural interpretative walk led by an indigenous guide. The nearby Cultural Centre is also a good place to pick up authentic souvenirs of indigenous artwork and read up on the history of Uluru and it's people. Come afternoon, it's on to our night's camp in Watarrka National Park.
Day 3 Kings Canyon.
Traditional home of the Luritja people, Watarrka (also known as Kings Canyon), is an ancient sandstone canyon flourishing with native vegetation and mottled with freshwater springs. Entering the rock-strewn arena of the Amphitheatre, we'll trek through the Lost City into the verdant Garden of Eden. Next stage of the Rim Walk brings us to the North and South Walls, two sharply soaring sandstone walls that reveal various layers of sediment. Then it's lunch and back to Alice Springs for the night. Accommodation tonight is at Alice Lodge Backpackers.
Day 4 Alice Springs to Darwin.
Today, skip the 1,500km of driving which is about 24 hours by road, and fly from Alice Springs to Darwin with Qantas Airways. Qantas was Australia's first commercial airline, and stands for "Queensland and Northern Territory Ariel Services" and is now one of the worlds best International airlines. We'll arrange your air tickets and issue them a couple of weeks prior to your departure. On arrival in Darwin, someone will be waiting to transfer you to your hotel. Tonight, you'll be staying at the Melaleuca on Mitchell.
Day 5 Mary River Wetlands to Ubirr.
We'll pick you up from Melaleuca on Mitchell at 6.50am and travel into Wulna Country, where you'll receive a Cul Cul ('Welcome to Country') by the traditional owners of the land, the Limilngan-Wulna people. Learn about their ancient culture as you enjoy bush tucker talks, didgeridoo demonstrations and basket weaving. Next stop is the Mary River wetlands system, which has the highest concentration of saltwater crocodiles in the southern hemisphere. Get close to these 'salties' and other wild creatures on a billabong cruise. Late in the afternoon arrive into Ubirr in time for sunset, seeing the vivid Aboriginal rock art that dates back over 20,000 years. In the evening head to your overnight camp in Kakadu where the group will have dinner.
Day 6 Kakadu National Park.
Early this morning after breakfast, travel by 4WD to the Twin Falls. Experience this spectacular gorge aboard a boat cruise that's operated by the national park, with a walk along the boardwalk afterwards. Unwind and relax on the sandy banks before heading to explore Jim Jim Falls. After a quick lunch break, take in the views of this natural wonder before taking a challenging walk to the base of the falls. Here you can choose to swim or relax on the beach, enjoying the spectacular scenery, before making the short drive to your overnight bush camp.
Day 7 Kakadu National Park to Nitmiluk National Park.
After breakfast, head to either Maguk (Barramundi Gorge) or Gunlom Falls and cool off with a dip in the plunge pools. Visit the historic gold-mining centre of Pine Creek and head further south after lunch. Journey for around three hours in a private vehicle to your campsite on the doorstep of Nitmiluk National Park. Once comfortable, have dinner with the group before relaxing in your tent for the night.
Day 8 Nitmiluk National Park.
Spend the morning at the magnificent Katherine Gorge in Nitmiluk National Park. Perhaps take a cruise along the gorge or rent a kayak and paddle downstream. These options are seasonal and at your own expense. In the afternoon, head off to Edith Falls where you can cool down with a refreshing swim in the huge rock pools. Settle down for the night in a snug camp and enjoy dinner with your group.
Day 9 Litchfield National Park to Darwin.
Once you've had breakfast, head to Litchfield National Park. Filled with waterholes, creeks and waterfalls, it's the perfect place to soak up the tranquillity of the tropics. Visit the gateway of Florence Falls, the popular Wangi Falls and the refreshing waters of the Buley Rockholes. Enjoy a picnic lunch, stroll through steamy rainforests and cool off with a dip in one of Litchfield's swimming holes. In the afternoon, take the two-hour drive back to Darwin where your trip ends. Enjoy an optional night out with the group if you decide to stay in Darwin for the night. The total driving time today is around three-and-a-half hours. Should any of the attractions of the standard itinerary not be open as a result of National Park decisions surrounding accessibility and safety, activities will be substituted. Please see 'climate and seasonal information'.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 7 April 2017 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Intrepid Basix Style Tour.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
The above information has been obtained from the relevant suppliers and should be considered an indicative guide only as to the prices that may be available for these products. Flight Centre cannot guarantee that any particular product will still be available at the following prices, or for your exact dates of travel. At the time of making your booking, prices may differ to that price displayed on this website. Please contact a Flight Centre travel consultant to obtain the latest up to date information regarding applicable prices, fees and charges, taxes, availability, any blackout dates (such as school holidays), seasonal surcharges and other terms and conditions which may apply.
Contact an Expert to find out more about this tour and other amazing tours!
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
We won't be beaten on price
Our Lowest Airfare Guarantee ensures you always get the best deal which means you save money.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With over 700 stores in Australia, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.