Sam’s top 12 things to do in NYC
I’m heading off to New York in a couple of weeks, I started a love affair with New York City that I need to finish. New York City is something that everyone should experience at least once in their life. The city is absolutely amazing. There is so much to do. Even if you just wander the streets and Central Park people watching you will have a fabulous day.
This visit will be very different to my last. The whole city will be lit up and themed for Christmas. I have ticked off the site seeing so now it’s time to get to know the city and all the less obvious but possibly more interesting places to see.
The excitement of my upcoming trip takes me back to my 8 days in the Big Apple during September 2009.
I stepped on board a new Virgin Australia aircraft and acquainted myself with their state of the art personalised entertainment system and I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I was dreaming of NYC. I was on a last minute trip to NYC for my sister’s last minute wedding.
I know that weddings are only of interest to people who are a part of them so I’ll fast track you to my top 12 things to do in NYC for a first timer.
Top 12 things to do in NYC for a first timer
- See a broadway show
- Red bus Brooklyn night tour
- Wine and dine in Greenwich Village
- Check out Times Square, preferably at night because the lights look better and you will find heaps of amazing musicians busking by break dancing and playing garbage instruments like saucepans, buckets, tin cans etc.
- Eat pizza!
- Sit in a down-town bar, at the bar. Talk to the locals and the staff. It will be a great night and could lead you anywhere!
- Visit Wall Street, it’s inspiring
- Pay respects at Ground Zero
- Little Italy – go with plenty of time for a long lunch. Enjoy authentic cuisine and lovely wine to match
- Central Park, I was rushing and was only there for an hour but could have easily spent a full day there
- Eat at an authentic American diner
- Circle-line Sightseeing at 42nd St, this boat will take you out to see the Statue of Liberty but you do not get off the boat.
Sam is a social media specialist who, after travelling and living overseas, set her sights on a career in travel. Although relaxing, wining and dining in a five star property is of great appeal, Sam equally enjoys exploring the world armed with a backpack, sampling street food and experiencing foreign culture.