Montreal Airport (YUL)
Flights from Australia to Montreal will disembark at Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport.
Montréal's principle airport was renamed the Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) in 2004 after the former Canadian Prime Minister, a decision that was relatively controversial. The airport is situated southwest of central Montréal and serves around 13 million passengers a year.
Airport Accommodation: There are a number of hotels located in close proximity to Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport. Book your Montreal Airport accommodation.
Getting to Montreal
There are many airlines that offer flights to Montreal from Australia. Flights from Sydney via Vancouver or Dallas take around 20 hours. Flights from Melbourne via Los Angeles take 23 hours and 37 minutes. Flights from Brisbane via Los Angeles take 22 hours and 27 minutes. Flights from Perth via Sydney and Dallas take between 27 hours.
Airlines that fly to Montreal
Airlines that offer cheap flights to Montreal from Australia include:
- Air Canada
- Air France
- American Airlines
- British Airways
- KLM Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Swiss International Air Lines
For more information on Montreal holidays check out our Montreal travel guide.
The annual list of festivals held here in Montreal is beguiling and the low temperatures make skiing, skating, river surfing and kayaking all possible in the city boundaries.
Montreal's official language is French and it's the second-largest French-speaking city in the Western world, after Paris. Covering most of the Island of Montreal, at the confluence of the Saint Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers, the city is named after the island's triple-peaked "Mount Royal".
What's on the list of must-do activities while you're in town? Here's a quick guide:
- Explore Old Montreal – with its key buildings and cobblestones dating from the 1600s, including the sumptuous Notre-Dame Basilica.
- Enjoy Parc du Mont-Royal (Mount Royal Park) – one of the city's largest green spaces, designed by the creator of New York's Central Park.
- Chill out at the Montreal International Jazz Festival – more than 3,000 artists from about 30 countries converge annually in late June and early July for a series of outdoor and indoor concerts.
- Sample poutine at La Banquise – a local dish comprising French fries, gravy and white cheddar, with variants including additional beef, chicken or sausage or replacing gravy with tomato sauce.