Flanked by Puget Sound (an arm of the Pacific) and Lake Washington, with the Olympic Mountains to the west, getting into the outdoors is habitual for many locals. Regardless of the weather. Cycling, boating, hiking, camping are big here. Summers are technically the driest time of year but the rainfall in autumn, winter and spring – coupled with many cloudy days – give the impression the place is wetter than it really is. The solution? Ignore the weather. Explore anyway.
A handful of city and regional highlights include:
- sitting by a (legal) beach bonfire at Golden Gardens Park in Ballard, set on Puget Sound, enjoying the sunset over the Olympic Mountains
- cycling the 42-kilometre Burke Gilman Trail, linking the Locks on Puget Sound to Bothell Landing, the Sammamish River Traily and Marymoor Park
- watching hydroplane races on Lake Washington in August as part of the culmination of the festival Seafair
- visiting the Science Fiction Museum and the Seattle Metaphysical Library
- taking the ferry to Canada (Seattle to Victoria)
- and, on a clear day and just to say you've been, the Space Needle.
Looking for more than just a flight? A Seattle holiday package includes flights, accommodation, and often other extras like tours or car hire. View our Seattle packages.
Seattle Airport (SEA)
Flights from Australia to Seattle will disembark at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) is located just over 23 km from Seattle and is a major hub for Alaskan Airlines. The airport is the 17th busiest in the Unites States.
Airport Accommodation: There are a number of hotels located in close proximity to Seattle Tacoma International Airport. Book your Seattle Airport accommodation.
Getting to Seattle
There are many airlines that offer flights to Seattle from Australia that involve a stopover in a third destination. Flights from Sydney via Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu or Vancouver take between 18 and 20 hours depending on the stopover. Flights from Melbourne via Los Angeles take between 21 and 24 hours depending on the stopover. Flights from Brisbane via Los Angeles take 20 hours. Flights from Perth via Sydney and Los Angeles take 25 hours and 10 minutes.
Airlines that fly to Seattle
Airlines that offer cheap flights to Seattle from Australia include:
For more information on Seattle holidays check out our Seattle travel guide.