Top End Highlights, 6 Days
1 April 2020 - 31 March 2021
6 Days tour departing Hobart.
1 night accommodation at H on Smith Hotel.
2 nights accommodation at Ibis Styles Katherine.
2 nights accommodation at Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel.
5 Full buffet breakfasts, 1 Dinner, 1 Farewell Dinner.
Experienced Travel Director and Driver Guide.
Travel by luxury coach.
Day 1 Welcome to Darwin. On arrival in tropical Darwin, enjoy a tour of the cosmopolitan city before joining your Travel Director and fellow travellers at the colourful Mindil Beach Sunset Market to experience a spectacular sunset under the coconut palms. There's plenty of time to explore the art and crafts, aromas and atmosphere of the marketplace. You may like to try some fresh BBQ seafood or authentic Indian, Chinese, Greek or Japanese cuisine.
Day 2 Darwin to Katherine. Travel to Litchfield National Park, pausing to examine the amazing phenomenon of hundreds of magnetic termite mounds standing up to two metres high in a wide swathe of otherwise empty terrain. Stop at Florence Falls, a spectacular double-plunge waterfall leading to a popular swimming hole, before venturing on to tropical Wangi Falls for a swim in its large waterhole surrounded by spectacular monsoon rainforest. Continue to Katherine, a thriving town that was originally established as an outpost on the Australian Overland Telegraph Line.
Day 3 Katherine Gorge. This morning, meet Manuel Pamkal to share his passion for the rich traditional culture into which he was born. There is the opportunity to purchase some local Indigenous art. Later, sit back and relax in tranquil surroundings as you cruise on Katherine Gorge. A series of thirteen deep gorges carved through ancient rock, there are many Aboriginal paintings on the sandstone walls throughout the system, some of which are thousands of years old. Discover the history and culture of the Jawoyn people, the traditional owners of Nitmiluk, as you explore the magnificent gorges with a backdrop of stunning rock-faces that change colour with the setting of the sun. Keep an eye out for freshwater crocodiles nesting along the banks. This evening, consider the optional experience of the Stockman's Bush Dinner under the stars.
Day 4 Katherine to Kakadu. This morning you have the opportunity to swim in the waterholes of magnificent Edith Falls. Then pass through the mining town of Pine Creek, where buildings date back to the heady gold-rush days. Travel deep into World Heritage listed Kakadu National Park and discover spectacular escarpment, serene waterholes and teeming wildlife. Board the famed Yellow Water Billabong Cruise, spotting basking crocodiles and abundant birdlife with a local guide. Later, take a guided walk to view ancient Aboriginal rock paintings at Nourlangie, regarded as one of the premier rock art sites in the Top End.
Day 5 Kakadu National Park This morning, perhaps take an optional experience scenic flight over Kakadu. Later, visit Ubirr, another of Kakadu's foremost rock art galleries. The paintings here provide a fascinating record of Indigenous life over thousands of years: look for naturalistic paintings of animals, traditional x-ray art, and paintings of early contact with European people. Before leaving the site, climb to the top of a nearby rocky outcrop for superb views over the floodplains and escarpment country. Celebrate your Top End journey this evening at a Farewell Dinner with your Travel Director and new-found friends.
Day 6 Farewell from Darwin. Leave Kakadu this morning to return to Darwin. Keep an eye on the murky river crossings to see if you can spot saltwater crocodiles. Your final stop is Fogg Dam, a birdwatcher's paradise. Bid farewell to your fellow travellers as your holiday comes to an end and you are transferred to Darwin Airport for your onward flight.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 29 February 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..