ANZACS on the Western Front - Special ANZAC Ceremony
Departure dates & prices
Day 1 - Lille
After meeting the group in Lille, we’ll kick off our incredible journey with a welcome dinner. Accommodation: Hôtel Couvent des Minimes (or similar)
Day 2 - Lille – Villers-Bretonneux – Amiens
The first day of our tour will take us from Lille to Villers-Bretonneux: home of the National War Memorial and a central location to Australian WWI commemoration and memory. We’ll visit the Franco-Australian Museum, a site paying tribute to the brave Australian soldiers who helped to save the town from German advances. After, we’ll pay a visit to the Sir John Monash Centre before shifting our focus to the last year of the war – with a visit to Le Hamel, the site of the successful 4 July attack. Then, it’s onwards to Amiens – our home for the next three nights. Accommodation: Hôtel Le Prieuré (or similar)
Day 3 - Amiens – ANZAC Ceremony – Amiens
After an early start, we’ll leave the hotel and make our way to the ANZAC Day Ceremony at the Australian War Memorial in Villers-Bretonneux. We’ll join locals and meet fellow Australians and New Zealanders who have journeyed here to pay tribute to the brave ANZAC soldiers. The service will be an unforgettable and emotive experience that is sure to leave an impression. The rest of the day will be yours to spend at your leisure. Accommodation: Hôtel Le Prieuré (or similar)
Day 4 - Amiens – Somme – Amiens
The Somme still captivates the soul – and it’s here that the ANZACs first saw major action in 1916. Today we’ll visit Pozières and Mouquet Farm – sites that were especially important for Australian soldiers, as well as Longueval and Flers which were similarly significant to the Kiwis. Before returning to Amiens, we’ll take some time to remember the colossal loss experienced by Great Britain – with a visit to the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme. This evening will be ours to spend exploring Amiens or relaxing back at the hotel. Accommodation: Hôtel Le Prieuré (or similar)
Day 5 - Amiens – Ypres
Today’s first stop? The Wellington Quarries – a network of underground tunnels the New Zealand Tunnelling Company built as part of the preparations for the Battle of Arras. Later this afternoon, we’ll remember Australia’s role in this battle with a stop at the Digger Memorial. Then, we’ll move on to Fromelles, the site of the disastrous attack of 19 July 1916. Here, take the time to pay your respects with a poignant visit to Pheasant Wood Cemetery and the incredible exhibition nearby. And this evening? We’ll have the privilege of attending the Last Post ceremony under the iconic Menin Gate – a fitting end to our day. Accommodation: Albion Hotel (or similar)
Day 6 - Ypres
After breakfast, we’ll continue to delve into the moving stories of the West Flanders Front with an included visit to the In Flanders Fields Museum – a unique institution that commemorates the four-year trench war and conveys a contemporary message of peace. This afternoon, you’ll have some free time to spend as you please in Ypres. A site that was completely destroyed during WWI and rebuilt anew – take the time to visit the town’s magnificent cathedral or treat your taste buds to a sampling of Belgian chocolate. Later, we’ll come back together for tonight’s farewell dinner. Accommodation: Albion Hotel (or similar)
Day 7 - Ypres – Lille
For our final morning together, we’ll visit the shell-scarred Hill 60 and fascinating Hooge Crater Museum before walking in the footsteps of WWI soldiers at the Passchendaele battlefields – where allied forces fought to break the German line in 1917. Before returning to Lille, we’ll have the opportunity to pay our respects at Polygon Wood and Tyne Cot Military Cemetery – the site where 11,900 Commonwealth servicemen of WWI are commemorated.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 10 August 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.