Larapinta Experience in Comfort
From 08/05/2021 to 07/09/2022
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Stay in exclusive award winning eco-campsites.
Visit Larapinta Trail highlights including Inarlanga Pass, Simpsons Gap, the Ochre Pits and more.
Climb Counts Point for sweeping views over the region's highest peaks.
Gain a deeper appreciation of the ancient Indigenous Culture.
End each day relaxing around a campfire under the stunning night sky of the Australian Outback.
Enjoy delicious 3-course evening meals prepared by your professional guides.
2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners, snacks & hot drinksProfessional wilderness guide & support staffExclusive semi-permanent campsitesCamping equipment including tents, swags & stretcher bedsCatering & dining utensilsAll transport during the tourNational Park feesComprehensive group first aid kitEmergency communications & 24 hour back-upDuring the trip we stay at our exclusive semi-permanent wilderness campsites.
Nestled amongst the hills just off the Larapinta Trail, these camps offer a relaxing and comfortable stay in remote locations.
Our exclusive campsites are fully set up, so there is no need to worry about pitching or packing away tents.
Each site has a large covered area in which to relax at the end of a day of walking, with lounges, dining table and kitchen.
Beside this shady communal space is our campfire, the perfect place to gather as the sun sets.
The toilet facilities are clean and comfortable.
All toilet waste goes in to a composting tank, ensuring the environment is protected.
There are simple shower facilities: a bucket of water heated over the fire is strung up, providing a few minutes of wonderful hot shower.
All water is brought in by tanker as there are no suitable local water sources in the arid ranges.
The safari-style tents offer plenty of room for two people and gear.
Luggage should be kept in the tent at all times, preventing dingoes from taking shoes and other items.
You sleep on a stretcher bed in a swag.
The stretcher beds raise you 40cm off the ground and offer a firm, flat base for the comfy swag mattress.
The swag is a 5cm thick foam mattress inside a canvas cover.
We provide a cotton fitted sheet, pillow and pillowcase, which you keep for the entire trip.
You can take your swag outside the tent and sleep under the stars if you are looking for that real outback experience.
Sleeping bags are essential for warmth.
You can bring your own or hire (please contact World Expeditions if you would like to hire).
A silk sleeping bag liner will be provided if you are hiring a sleeping bag.
Most groups are made up of a mixture of single participants and couples.
If you are travelling independently you will share a tent with someone of the same sex (unless there is a spare tent available); this usually sorts itself out naturally.
Group Size: 6 - 16.
Day 1 - Telegraph Station to Wallaby, visit Simpsons Gap, Standley Chasm Loop Walk (approx. 7km) Your Larapinta Experience begins at Alice Springs Telegraph Station, the official start of the iconic Larapinta Trail. The historic stone buildings here date back to 1872 and housed the first Europeans to live in Central Australia. After a short introduction and trip briefing we get back on the bus for a short transfer to the beginning of our walk. This morning's walk from Ghan to Wallaby Gap, weaves into the heart of the West Macdonnell National Park, giving us a feeling for trekking toward the desert ranges. A short transfer brings us to Simpsons Gap, one of the most important waterholes of this region and a likely place to spot the rare Black-footed Rock-Wallaby. In the afternoon we visit Standley Chasm, a private reserve still run by the Traditional Owners. Here we will do a short loop walk. In the late afternoon we transfer to Nick's Camp, our exclusive set-up nestled in bushland near Honeymoon Gap. Walking Time: up to 5 hours
Day 2 - Serpentine Chalet Dam to Ochre Pits (8km) Today’s walk takes us to breathtaking Inarlanga (Echidna) Pass. We spend some time in the magnificent pass to enjoy the peace and marvel at the ancient cycad palms. From here we trek south-west to an original ochre quarry, a sacred Aboriginal site. The rainbow of vibrant colours on the wave-like ochre wall makes for stunning photos. On our way to camp in the afternoon we will stop off at Glen Helen Homestead Outback Resort. Here there is the opportunity to visit Glen Helen Gorge, have a swim in the historic Finke River (estimated to be the oldest river in the world) or relax in the cafe/bar. Afterwards we transfer west to one of our exclusive Camps. Sonder Camp is located in the foothills and offers spectacular views of the mountain it is named after – Mount Sonder. Walking Time: 4-5 hours
Day 3 - The Ormiston Pound Walk (7km), return to Alice Springs This morning we enjoy the best side walk of the entire Larapinta Trail: Ormiston Pound. The Pound offers an immense variety of extraordinary scenery and wildlife and is the perfect walk to complete our journey. We explore the upper reaches of the Gorge where Rock Wallabies sometimes scamper about the imposing cliffs, and follow the track through scrub filled with native birds: Spinifex Pigeon, Budgerigar and Mistletoe Bird. Keep an eye out overhead for the majestic Wedge-tailed Eagle, Australia’s largest raptor. After lunch we board the bus and transfer to Alice Springs. Sitting back and watching the now familiar ancient desert landscape slide by the bus window gives most trekkers a sense of awe and satisfaction. Congratulations on all you have achieved over the last three days! We will drop you to your accommodation at approximately 4-5pm. Walking Time: 4 hours
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 17 April 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans