Alpine Introduction Course and Gran Paradiso Climb
From 19/06/2022 to 09/09/2023
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Learn basic mountaineering techniques.
Exhilarating walking in the French Alps.
Opportunity to climb to the summit of Gran Paradiso (4061m), the highest peak in Italy.
Time to experience Chamonix, the world capital of mountaineering.
Possible 3-day extension trip to climb to the summit of Mont Blanc (4807m / 15,771 feet), after completion of the course (additional costs apply).
6 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 3 dinners3 nights accommodation in a 3 star Chamonix hotel on a twin-share basis (sometimes we would use triple or quad share to avoid single rooms)3 nights accommodation in mountain hutsInternal transportCertified UIAGM high altitude mountain guide (ratio of 1 guide to 5 climbers throughout)All common climbing gear (ropes etc)Ski liftsPre-departure guide to assist you with preparing for the climbWorld Expeditions does not require single travellers to pay a surcharge for travelling alone.
We will arrange for you to share accommodation with another traveller of the same gender and if we can not match you up we will provide a single room at no extra charge.
If you prefer not to share a single supplement is payable to guarantee your own room.
Please refer to our website for the additional cost.
Your hotel in Chamonix is a good quality 3-star hotel.
Accommodation is on a twin-share basis (At times we may use a triple room).
If you prefer a single supplement for the hotel in Chamonix, please ask us for more information.
We will always try to match you with another group member of the same gender however should there be an odd number of people on the tour it may be necessary to use a triple room to avoid a single supplement.
Our accommodation in the mountain huts is dormitory style with blankets and sheets provided and dinner is usually served by 6.
It is simple but wholesome, but not all dietary requirements are easily catered for.
Drinks are available for purchase in the huts.
Please note that drinking water is not available for free so please bring some money with you to buy some where appropriate.
Lights are usually turned out by 9.
Also please be aware that despite our booking of accommodation at the mountain huts, there will often be 3 people for every 2 mattresses.
Group Size: 4 - 5.
Day 1 - Join Chamonix Please make your way to the group hotel which will be advised in your final documentation (any airport transfer service will take you direct to the hotel reception). A group briefing will be held at 6pm at the hotel reception, it is essential that you attend and bring your equipment with you; you will then proceed to the gear hire shop, Snell Sports, with your guide. Please ensure that your travel arrangements will have you in Chamonix at this time. Overnight at the group hotel (or similar). Please note: Hotel details are subject to change, and your final documents will confirm the name of the group hotel.
Day 2 - Depart Chamonix. Commence glacier instruction enroute to Albert 1er Hut From the top of the Charamillon cable car, we will commence with ice-climbing basics on Le Tour Glacier: ie. using crampons, ice axe and rope management. This glacier instruction will cover the essential basics of ice axe and crampon techniques. At the end of the afternoon, we will climb to the Albert 1er hut (2702m). Dinner and overnight in Albert 1er mountain hut. Schedule: 1.5 – 2.0hrs; Approx ascent: +570m.
Day 3 - Ascend Aiguille du Tour (3529 m). To Trient refuge. Today we will glacier hike through the cols superieur du Tour, and ascend the Aiguille du Tour (3529 m). We will learn ropework for glacier travel; and on the Aiguille du Tour, you will experience for the first time an easy rock climb (grade II and III). After your first summit, we will traverse the Trient glacier plateau to reach the Trient Hut. In the afternoon we will work on more advanced rope skills such as crevasse rescue, snow anchor etc. Dinner and overnight mountain hut. Schedule: 5 - 6 hrs; Approx ascent/descent: +820m / –370m.
Day 4 - Ascend Petite Fourche. Return to Chamonix. Crossing the col Blanc (3405m) by a steep snow slope, we will ascend the Petite Fourche (3550m) with a steep snow slope and easy rock climbing. That will be the ideal terrain to walk down the Tour glacier, and reach the Albert 1er hut where we will be able to admire the Argentière north face and the Saleina glacier basin surrounded by many peaks. We will then take the cablecar down to the village of Le Tour. Transfer to hotel in Chamonix. Schedule: 5 - 7 hrs; Approx ascent/descent: +550 m / –1400m
Day 5 - Ascend to Chabod Hut at the foot of Gran Paradiso Today we will head across the border into Italy through the stunning Valsavernce Valley in the Val d'Aoste. From the roadhead we trek through larch forest to the Chabod Hut beside the Laveciau Glacier. We prepare for tomorrow's climb and get an early night. Dinner and overnight mountain hut. Schedule: 3 hrs; Approx ascent: +900m
Day 6 - Ascend Gran Paradiso (4061m), return to Chamonix An early start brings us to the steep moraine which leads us to the glacier’s flank. We put on our harness and crampons, rope up and start climbing the Laveciau glacier. As we reach the shoulder at 3750m, the sunrise in the east sets aglow the full sweep of the southern Alps. There is still 300m to go but now we can see our goal: the summit and its white Madonna. A last steep section, then we start the final rocky ridge. We leave our crampons here and finish the ascent on the easy rocks that support the virgin statue at the summit. Every famous summit in the western Alps is laid out before us from Monte Rosa to the Viso. We soak up the majestic view then concentrate on the descent to the hut before returning back to Chamonix by taxi. Schedule: 9-10 hrs; Approx ascent/descent: +1300m / -2200m
Day 7 - In Chamonix, trip concludes The trip concludes after breakfast in the hotel. PLEASE NOTE: The above route and estimated times must be seen as a guide only. This itinerary may change at any time due to weather, snow conditions, group fitness or other reasons. Your guide will always make a final decision after assessing the situation and liaising with the group members.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 21 August 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans