Scenic Roads of the South Island
Valid for select departures 3 October, 31 October & 28 November 2020, 9 January, 6 February & 6 March 2021
7 day journey departing Christchurch.
6 nights accommodation in hand picked centrally located and unique hotels.
Many meals including deliciously authentic dining, wine tastings and pairing with meals and breakfast daily.
Experiences as per itinerary.
Highly-skilled Travel Director.
Insight's luxury air-conditioned coach and onboard washroom.
Hotel and restaurant tips.
Taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
Day 1 Welcome to Christchurch Your Insight Vacations host meets you at Christchurch Airport and transfers you to your hotel. Meet your Travel Director at 11:00 and set off on your spectacular journey. Start with a sightseeing tour of the Garden City with your Local Expert and see how far Christchurch has come in rebuilding since the tragic earthquakes of 2010 and 2011. See the Christ Church and Cardboard Cathedrals, as well as the moving 185 Chairs Memorial. Make Travel Matter as you lend a helping hand in planting a native tree and contributing to the reforestation efforts of the Port Hills after the 2017 wildfires. Tonight, indulge in a delicious Welcome Dinner at a trendy local restaurant. Hotel: Distinction Christchurch Hotel
Day 2 Train Along the Coast This morning, board the Coastal Pacific Express train to Kaikoura, a champion in sustainable tourism. Admire the views through panoramic windows as you travel past farmlands, at the foot of mountains and along remote rugged shorelines. In Kaikoura, join a whale watching adventure in waters abundant with marine mammal life and you might spot giant sperm whales, dusky dolphins or even orcas. These fantastic creatures are lured to the local waters thanks to the unique submarine landscape and abundance of food. Marvel at magnificent scenery along the East Coast. With the ocean on one side and soaring mountains on the other, this is a journey to remember. Pass the Lake Grassmere Saltworks displaying various shades of pink ponds and sparkling white salt crystal mounds. Arrive tonight to sunny Blenheim in the heart of the Marlborough Wine Region. Hotel: Chateau Marlborough
Day 3 Marlborough Culinary Delights The Marlborough Wine Region is internationally acclaimed for its Sauvignon Blanc even though wine production started relatively late in the 1970s and the breakthrough only coming in the 1980s. Savour world-class quality drops on a wine tour, sampling some of the best produce of the area. Tonight, indulge in a dining experience at the Hans Herzog Estate with the courses paired with handcrafted, organic wines. Hotel: Chateau Marlborough
Day 4 Mountains and Sounds Make your way to Picton, the gateway to the Marlborough Sounds as well as the North Island across the Cook Strait. Take a relaxing boat ride on the glorious Queen Charlotte Sound, named by Captain James Cook after the wife of British King George III. Upon your arrival to the Arapawa Island, meet the Radon family who will introduce you to the paua pearl farming process, the molluscs themselves and their place in the New Zealand heritage. Your tour is followed by a morning tea before sailing back to mainland to continue with your scenic journey to Nelson, the oldest city in the South Island. Tonight, dine at the Oceano Restaurant. Hotel: Rutherford Hotel
Day 5 Tasman Treasures - Relaxed Start Wake up in an extraordinary part of New Zealand with awe-inspiring nature and a quirky artist scene. Explore Nelson Tasman with Insight Choice. Spend the day outdoors in the paradise of Abel Tasman National Park by going on a hike along secluded golden beaches and forested paths. Alternatively, take a day tour discovering the wines and art of the region as you sip on Pinot Noir and meet the talented folk flocking to the area. Tonight, take it easy in Nelson and enjoy an evening at leisure. Hotel: Rutherford Hotel
Day 6 From Coast to The Mountains Today, head to the mountains towards the centre of the South Island. Follow the Maruia River valley, then travel through the Lewis Pass, the northernmost of the three main crossings in the Southern Alps. Arrive to Hamner Springs, a destination for adventure, relaxation and indulgence. Surrounded by dramatic mountains and towering forests, the main street of this charming town is filled with boutique shops, cafes and eateries. Famous for its natural hot springs, you may wish to go and have a soak or even get a treatment. Tonight, is yours to relax and enjoy this beautiful alpine village. Hotel: Clear Ridge
Day 7 Farewell Christchurch - Relaxed Start After your Relaxed Start, visit the Waipara Wine Region and toast your travels at a winery Celebration Lunch. Return to Christchurch this afternoon where your trip concludes. Take a complimentary transfer to the airport for your onward journey.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 September 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels, Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.