Taste of New Zealand's North Island
Valid for select departures 17 October, 7 November & 12 December 2020, 16 January, 20 February & 20 March 2021
8 day journey departing Wellington.
7 nights accommodation in hand picked centrally located hotels.
Many meals including deliciously authentic dining, wine tastings and pairing with meals and breakfast daily.
Experiences as per itinerary.
Highly-skilled Travel Director.
Insight's luxury air-conditioned coach and onboard washroom.
Hotel and restaurant tips.
Taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
Day 1 Welcome to Wellington Your Private Driver meets you at Wellington Airport and transfers you to your hotel. Spend some time to relax or perhaps go for a stroll and see the nearby iconic Beehive Parliament Building. Meet your Travel Director and fellow travellers at 11:00 to kick off your culinary adventure across the North Island. Get to know New Zealand's cool capital with a Local Expert as you discover the waterfront, the bohemian Cuba St precinct and hear about the buzzing food and drinks scene. Once dimly lit back alleys, these newly rejuvenated laneways are now home to some of the country's funkiest bars, boutiques and breweries. Experience a private tasting of a premium batch of peanut butter made by an artisan supplier and sample Wellington's very own chocolate. Tonight, get to know your fellow travellers at your Welcome Dinner. Hotel: Sofitel Wellington
Day 2 Cheese And Wine of Wairarapa - Relaxed Start Leave the city after a relaxed start to the day and travel to nearby Featherston at the foothills of the Remutaka Range. Sample a selection of delicious cheeses presented by the passionate people behind the C'est Cheese artisan deli, housed in the historic 19th-century Anderson Building. Then, visit nearby Greytown, one of New Zealand's prettiest small towns. Stroll among independent boutiques and cafes, cute colonial cottages and art galleries. In Martinborough, learn about the boutique Wairarapa Wine Country at your visit to the Palliser Estate. Hear about the uniqueness of the area, the types of wines produced and enjoy a tasting straight from the barrels. Tonight, enjoy dinner at your hotel's own Union Square Bistro & Bar, a modern restaurant with French influence. Hotel: Martinborough Hotel
Day 3 Martinborough Delights - Relaxed Start This morning meet Helen and John, the couple behind Olivo, the oldest commercial olive grove of the area with the mission to produce oils that are boutique, artisan and gorgeous. Follow the olives' journey from tree to table as you learn about production, tasting and recipes. Return to the Union Square Bistro and get hands on in a private, group cooking lesson with the chef as you prepare lunch then dine with the restaurant team. Take the rest of the day to relax or perhaps visit the Wine Bank housing, Martinborough's most comprehensive range of locally produced wine. Hotel: Martinborough Hotel
Day 4 On The Classic Wine Trail to Hawke 's Bay Today's journey takes you through the lush farmlands of the Tararua district. Once known as the Seventy Mile Bush. The area was cleared for farming by Scandinavians in the 19th Century and the mark of these early settlers is visible in local townships. Arrive to Havelock North in Hawke's Bay, the country's oldest wine growing region. This evening set out for your dining and wine pairing experience to Craggy Range at the foot of the towering Te Mata Peak. The winery is run by the passionate Peabody family who bought the empty plot nearly 30 years ago, starting from scratch to focus on quality right from the beginning. Hotel: Porters Boutique Hotel
Day 5 Hawke 's Bay Exploration During the 1931 earthquake, Napier was severely affected as its commercial centre was completely destroyed. It was swiftly rebuilt in primarily Art Deco style, the fashionable choice at the time and became known for its high concentration of 1930's buildings worldwide. Explore Hawke's Bay with Insight Choice. Feel like stepping back in time by taking a tour in a vintage car and visiting the majestic Municipal Theatre. Alternatively, get on two wheels and take a relaxing bike ride from the city centre on the Ahuriri Estuary Trail to the Taradale Wineries. Later, come together and indulge in an included lunch at a local award-winning winery. Return to Havelock North and enjoy the rest of your day at leisure. Hotel: Porters Boutique Hotel
Day 6 On the way to Rotorua - Relaxed Start After your Relaxed Start, join the Thermal Explorer Highway and cross the Ruahine Range as you approach New Zealand's largest freshwater lake at Taupo. Pass the 'Sleeping Lady' Mt Tauhara and admire the roaring Huka Falls on the Waikato, the country's longest river. Visit the Waimangu Volcanic Valley and join a guided tour to connect with the beating heart of the world's youngest geothermal valley, followed by a relaxing cruise around the tranquil waters of Lake Rotomahana. Later, arrive to Rotorua. Hotel: Pullman Rotorua
Day 7 Redwoods and Celebrations This morning, marvel at the 118-year-old giant redwood trees sitting in Whakarewarewa Forest, one of the oldest exotic forests in New Zealand. Ascending to the breath-taking Redwoods Treewalk, enjoy a unique birds' eye perspective of the forest below and treetops above. Tonight, toast to your new memories with your fellow travellers at your Celebration Dinner at the interactive Eight Restaurant, offering eight international cuisines. (B, DW) Hotel: Cordis
Day 8 Farewell Auckland After breakfast your North Island adventure comes to an end. Take your complimentary transfer to Auckland airport for your onward journey.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 September 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels, Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.