in the Footsteps of the Incas
From 06/12/2021 to 16/12/2021
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
First class travel Highlights.
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
A Trafalgar bonus - All Intra-Air Flights: Lima to Cusco, Cusco to Juliaca and Juliaca to Lima, including porter service at all airports.
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and local charges included.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and separate Driver.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday.
VIP entry to many sights.
Day 1 - Arrive Lima (2 Nights) Bienvenidos a Lima, where we'll kick-start our effortlessly delivered journey to the iconic and unexpected sights and sounds of Peru. On arrival, transfer to your hotel, Novotel Lima, where this evening you'll meet your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception.
Day 2 - Lima Sightseeing Take your time this morning and embrace the warm welcome of the "City of Kings". We'll meet a 'Local Specialist' who will reveal the city's highlights including Lima's UNESCO-listed Historic Centre and the baroque-style Church of San Francisco. Descend into the city's underground catacombs and admire the religious paintings, sculptures and books on display in its religious art museum and extensive library. Later, we'll join our Travel Director for a guided walk through the barrio of Miraflores, also known as the Heroic City.
Day 3 - Lima - Cusco - Sacred Valley (2 Nights) We board a morning flight to Cusco, the gateway to Peru's treasured Sacred Valley, where you'll enjoy a Peruvian lunch with sweeping views of the Sacred Valley. Then we'll 'Dive into Culture' and meet a Shaman who will perform a special ceremony welcoming you to Peru. Tonight, you'll stay in a hotel along the banks of the Vilcanota River, on the grounds of an old 17th-century colonial hacienda. It is great for morning birders and afternoon walks in the gardens.
Day 4 - Sacred Valley 'Connect with Locals' over a 'Be My Guest' lunch, learn about the culture surrounding the production of Giant White Corn. Our hosts will demonstrate the differences between traditional farming techniques and the newer technologies used today. Revel in the romance of the local Marinera dance. This evening, meet 'Local Specialist', Peter Frost, a writer, photographer and independent scholar who has explored the Andes and Amazon for 47 years, locating and investigating the previously unknown Inca and pre-Inca site of Qoriwayrachina. He currently resides in Peru and works as an accompanying expert for National Geographic Expeditions.
Day 5 - Sacred Valley - Machu Picchu Visit the mystical Incan stronghold of Ollantaytambo en route to Machu Picchu, ascending to the Lost City in the Clouds aboard the Vistadome train (light snack included). Here you will delve into the mysteries of this once-great civilisation, joining your Local Specialist for an exploration of the temples, palaces and terraces whose construction defy imagination. Visit the iconic great Temple of the Sun, the House of the Priest, the Sacred Plaza and the intricately carved Intihuatana, most likely used as a sundial centuries ago. We return to our hotel where we'll dine tonight.
Day 6 - Machu Picchu - Cusco (2 Nights) The ruins of Machu Picchu beckon for your second visit as you enjoy one final opportunity to reconnect with its story, spending some time on our own to explore the hill-top fortress. Next, we'll journey back to the Sacred Valley by train, stopping en route to Cusco to 'Dive into Culture' and learn about the natural dyeing techniques used by native weavers. Visit the Pisac handicraft market followed by sampling the sweet flavours of chicha as we 'Dive into Culture' yet again, savouring the favourite drink of the Andes.
Day 7 - Cusco Sightseeing Begin your day at the ruins of the UNESCO-listed Sacsayhuaman fortress overlooking Cusco. Your Local Specialist will guide you through Cusco's colonial centre, including the nearby 13th century Incan settlement of Qoriwayrachina. The afternoon is free.
Day 8 - Cusco - Juliaca - Puno (2 Nights) Fly to Juliaca where you'll meet a Local Specialist to learn about daily life on the Peruvian altiplano. Visit Sillustani, a pre-Incan burial ground and explore its towering chullpas (above ground tombs) before travelling to Lake Titicaca, the birthplace of the sun.
Day 9 - Lake Titicaca Excursion We cruise the deep blue waters of Lake Titicaca with a Local Specialist, discovering its floating islands constructed from reeds by the Uros Indians. Next, in the midst of South America's largest lake, we arrive at Taquile Island, where we'll embark on a private tour to gain insights into the tradition of knitting and weaving for which the local villagers-men and women-are renowned. Learn more about the culture of the people living on the island and enjoy a lunch. Tonight, we enjoy a Trafalgar highlight-dinner at our favourite local restaurant in Puno.
Day 10 - Puno - Juliaca - Lima This morning we return to Lima, enjoying an afternoon at leisure after our flight. We'll join a Local Specialist this evening, visiting one of Lima's most renowned museums after dark - the Larco Museum. Admire the pre-Columbian artefacts that reveal insights into the cultures of ancient Peru. Then, sit down to a gourmet Farewell Dinner filled with Peruvian flavours as you overlook the museum's beautiful gardens.
Day 11 - Depart Lima For now it's time to say a fond hasta luego to Lima and transfer to the airport for your flight home, or consider extending your stay at the Novotel Lima. Sightseeing Highlights CITY TOUR in Lima and Cusco CRUISE Lake Titicaca SCENIC DRIVE through the Sacred Valley ICONIC TRAIN journey aboard the Vistadome train VISIT the outdoor market at Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Machu Picchu, Sacsayhuaman ruins, the Uros Islands, Taquile Island, Larco Museum CONNECT WITH LOCALS Visit Hacienda Sarapampa, a Quechua word meaning corn field, and savour Peruvian farm-to-table cuisine based around this important crop. (Day 4) DIVE INTO CULTURE Meet a Shaman who will perform a Pago a la Tierra ceremony, a ritual of the Andean culture. Learn about natural dyeing techniques used by native weavers. Visit a local chicheria for some traditional chicha tasting. (Days 3, 6) LOCAL SPECIALIST For included sightseeing in Lima, Machu Picchu, Cusco, the Peruvian altiplano, Lake Titicaca and the Larco Museum (Days 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10) STAYS WITH STORIES Aranwa Sacred Valley Hotel & Wellness is built along the Vilcanota riverbank, on the lands of an old 17th-century colonial hacienda. (Day 6)
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 23 September 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans