The Southern Drift - Summer 2021
From 06/12/2021 to 25/03/2022
Queenstown: Experience a first-class dining experience in one of Queenstown’s most popular and exclusive restaurants.
Dunedin: Set in an old post office, this dinner is at Parcels Restaurant.
Dining Summary: 11 Breakfasts (B), 1 Lunch (L) and 7 Dinners with Wine (DW).
Christchurch: Journey on the iconic TranzAlpine Train.
West Coast: Visit the coastal town of Hokitika, find out about its local history and meet a local jade carver.
Franz Josef Glacier: Experience the impressiveness of this mighty natural wonder.
Haast River: Enjoy a fully enclosed jet boat ride down the Haast River.
Makarora: Take part in an orientation in Makarora and hear about the beauty of this town.
Milford Track Walk: Join a guided walk to get real insight about the spectacular natural surrounds in this famous World Heritage area.
Dunedin: Emerson’s Brewery Tour - Be taken through every step of the brew process, from the malt room, to the fermentation, bottling, and most importantly, tasting.
Christchurch: Enjoy a sightseeing tour of the vibrant city of Christchurch.
Franz Josef: Surrounded by natural rainforest on New Zealand's West Coast, Te Waonui Forest Retreat is a short drive from Franz Josef Glacier.
With a natural, earthy ambience and attentive service, there’s no better place to take a deep breath and simply unwind.
This five-star retreat offers luxuriously appointed rooms which include organic cotton bed sheets, pillow menu and large private bathrooms.
You will be escorted by one of our fine Travelling Concierges, handpicked to serve as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
Luxury Gold is proud to offer various modes of transportation, from luxury coach to safari jeep and more, so that you always travel in comfort and experience your journey and destination in the best possible and most appropriate way.
Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary, available on departures with 15 or more guests.
At every hotel, you'll be treated to seamless baggage handling, with prompt delivery inside your room.
Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency.
We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
Complimentary, private airport transfers are included on start and end dates and when additional accommodation has been booked through Luxury Gold.
Guests will be transferred with fellow Luxury Gold Travellers that arrive on the same flight.
Day 1 - On arrival at Christchurch Airport you'll be driven by private car to your hotel. Spend some time at leisure to relax or explore on your own. Perhaps visit the Christchurch Botanic Gardens or take a ride on the Christchurch Tram. In the evening meet your Travelling Concierge for a Welcome Reception.
Day 2 - It's all aboard the TranzAlpine train. Rated as one of the world's great scenic railway journeys, you'll travel in comfort across the Canterbury Plains through the Southern Alps. From Arthur's Pass, visit the small town of Hokitika, the heritage and cultural centre of the West Coast, to learn the importance of Pounamu, better known as jade or greenstone. Continue to Franz Josef where your eco-friendly accommodation is set amid native bush and has an emphasis on relaxation and rejuvenation. This evening, why not enjoy Franz Josef's local geothermal hot pools or perhaps a massage?(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 3 - During a Glacier Valley Walk, explore the area with a local guide who will explain the history behind the surrounding fascinating landscape.(Breakfast)
Day 4 - This morning it's time for an adventure as you journey down the Haast River in a purpose-built, fully enclosed, river jet boat. After a lunch stop at Makarora travel to Arrowtown where there is time to stop and explore this historic gold-mining village on the Arrow River. Continue to Queenstown for an orientation tour.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 5 - Experience Queenstown at leisure. Perhaps join an optional wine tour or view The Lord of the Rings film locations? Tonight you can dine at one of the local restaurants along the waterfront in town or simply relax at your hotel.(Breakfast)
Day 6 - Make the most of your extended stay in Queenstown. Why not take an optional jet boat ride down the mighty Shotover River or get wet white water rafting down the Kawarau River? In the evening, enjoy a Highlight Dinner at one of Queenstown's exclusive restaurants.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 7 - Take the scenic journey through rainforests, flats and meadows of Fiordland National Park to Milford Sound. Stop at Mirror Lakes, where the stunning mountain scenery is perfectly reflected in the waters, then on to the hand-hewn Homer Tunnel, and after, to one of the world's most dramatic alpine drives, down through the Cleddau Valley and its impressive Chasm.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 8 - Explore the famous Milford Track on an easy-going half-day guided walk. This is a place steeped in rich history and stories; and the flora and fauna is unique and special. Enjoy the best of both worlds as you listen to a Specialist Nature Guide while relaxing onboard a modern catamaran. Your guide will introduce you to the natural wonders of Milford Sound.(Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner with Wine)
Day 9 - We leave the majestic Fiordland National Park for the fertile sheep-dotted pastures of South Otago. Travel through Te Anau and on to the country music town of Gore before continuing to Dunedin, New Zealand's southernmost city. Enjoy dinner and wine at Parcels Restaurant.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 10 - Take a guided tour and sample the tasty craft beer at Emerson's Brewery before an afternoon at your leisure - relax or continue exploring as you wish. Perhaps take a train ride or wildlife cruise?(Breakfast)
Day 11 - Travel up the east coast of the South Island via Oamaru and Timaru. On arrival in Christchurch embark on an in-depth sightseeing tour of the city. Toast your travels together at your Celebration Dinner.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 12 - Bid farewell to your fellow travellers after breakfast, as your journey comes to an end with a transfer to Christchurch International Airport for your onward flight.(Breakfast)
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 January 2021 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 20 January 2021 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.