South Australia's Seafood & Wine Trail, 8 Days
The accommodationDay 1 & 2 Adelaide to Clare Valley (143km)
As you reach Clare Valley, discover over 40 wineries and vineyards scattered throughout the region, with it's signature Riesling, being among the best in the world. Visit the charming towns in the region; stop for lunch at Skillogalee, an historic settler's cottage, surrounded by beautiful gardens; or the rustic and delightful Terroir Auburn with its Parisian feel, built circa in the 1860s. The heritage towns of Burra and Mintaro boast their own unique characteristic charm. Stop at Burra Fresh for breakfast as they are known for their great coffee and use of local farm-fresh produce. Approximately 5 minutes from Mintaro, step back in time and explore Martindale Hall, a living museum and one of Australia's prettiest country mansions.
Stay 2 nights in Clare ValleyDay 3 Clare Valley to Whyalla (267km)
Today you go from wine country to seafood lovers paradise as you make your way to the Eyre Peninsula, teeming with some of the best seafood found in Australia.
Drive west to the seaside town of Whyalla, renowned for the world's greatest natural show of giant cuttlefish during the winter months as they change colour and shape. It is the only place in the world where they come to mate in the shallow waters outside of the town. See the town's history at the Whyalla Maritime Museum or at the Mount Laura Homestead, a national trust attraction housing various buildings. Head down to the foreshore with a range of cafes and restaurants surrounding the area, or pack a picnic and take a drive to visit the Point Lowly Lighthouse, a local icon, located just over 30km from the town.
Stay 1 night in WhyallaDay 4 & 5 Whyalla to Port Lincoln (267km)
Head south today as you make your way to Port Lincoln, stopping at the coastal town of Cowell, a great place to fish. Take a stroll along the boardwalk and if you are feeling peckish, stop into the Franklin Harbour Hotel for lunch, serving fresh local seafood including locally farmed fresh oysters. Before you head off, you may like to go shopping for some jade jewellery, with Cowell home to 90% of the world's nephrite jade deposits.
As you arrive into Port Lincoln, take in the beauty of this coastal town. Renowned for amazing fresh seafood, there are plenty of places to indulge in the local cuisine. Del Giorno's is a local institution and a must try is the highly prized Bluefin tuna, which is farmed in the local waters, or for the best fish and chips, checkout the Fresh Fish Place, where you can also do a behind the scenes factory tour with oysters and seafood tastings.
The Eyre Peninsula is also famous for shark diving. If you are feeling adventurous, why not join a tour to try it for yourself, where you would be submerged in a cage into the waters to witness the ultimate great white shark up close.
Head out and explore the local attractions nearby. A short drive east will take you to the coastal wilderness of Lincoln National Park with their towering dunes, sparse beaches and soaring cliff tops. Here you can look over to Boston Bay, Australia's largest natural harbours with granite headlands, sheltered bays and offshore islands. In the opposite direction, is Coffin Bay, where you will find one of Australia's most popular oysters, farmed in the calm bay waters. Take an oyster farm tour where you can taste shellfish straight off the racks, standing in the famous waters.
If time permits, or you may like to extend your stay, why not explore further along the west coast of the peninsula. Just under 2 hours is the town of Elliston, located on Waterloo Bay, with views over stunning cliff tops, and just over an hour further up is Baird Bay, a mecca for dolphins and sea lions. Continuing a further hour west is Streaky Bay, where you can visit South Australia's naturally-occurring version of Stonehenge. Stop for lunch at the waterfront Streaky Bay Hotel-Motel, built in 1866, serving local seafood including the famous local fish, King George whiting.
Stay 2 nights in Port LincolnDay 6 Port Lincoln to Port Augusta (344km)
On arrival into Port Augusta, make your way to the Wadlata Outback Centre, where you can experience the Tunnel of Time, with local tales about the region. From there you can take a Heritage Walk through the town discovering its historical buildings. Enjoy the stunning scenery as you stroll along the coastal path following the shores of the Spencer Gulf, you may even spot a dolphin.
Stay 1 night in Port AugustaDay 7 Port Augusta to Adelaide Hills (324km)
Take a leisurely drive back towards Adelaide today, stopping at Lake Bumbunga, with the lake renowned for changing colour from pink, to white, to blue, depending on the salinity of the water throughout the year.
As you reach the charming neighbourhood of Adelaide Hills, there are over 60 award-winning cellar doors for you to explore and discover. Sample some of Australia's best cool-climate wines, food and produce as you explore this beautiful part of the world. Explore the town of Hahndorf, Australia's oldest surviving German settlement, to discover heritage German buildings, pubs and cafes lining the streets of the village. Stop into the Hahndorf Inn for a traditional German feast, or Ambleside Distillers and taste their handcrafted signature gins, overlooking the picturesque botanical gardens.
Stay 1 night in the Adelaide HillsDay 8 Adelaide Hills to Adelaide (32km)
Make your way back to Adelaide as your journey comes to an end, or you may wish to extend your stay in Adelaide.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 November 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Flexible Terms & Conditions: Applies to selected products only & excludes instant purchase & non-refundable products. Please ask your consultant for details at time of booking. A refundable deposit of $55 per person is required to secure your booking. Final payment is due 30 days prior to travel, unless travelling within 30 days of booking. Changes & cancellations made 14 days or more prior to travel will not incur fees. Changes are subject to availability & may incur additional costs due to changes in seasonality, pricing & applicable surcharges. Any additional cost associated with changing will remain the responsibility of the customer. Original booking may contain bonus inclusions which are no longer available. In this instance, you will be offered a credit of your payment less any applicable supplier fees. In the instance that flights are added, the booking becomes non-refundable & change fees will apply. Changes & cancellations made within the applicable cancellation period will be subject to Flight Centre's Change & Cancellation policy which can be found at www.flightcentre.com.au.In the event there is any inconsistency between these terms and conditions and our booking terms and conditions https://www.flightcentre.com.au/booking-terms-condition, these terms and conditions will apply.
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels, Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes.
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.