New Zealand's Queen Charlotte Track and Marlborough Sounds, 10 Days
Valid for select departures 18 January - 6 April 2021
10 day Easy to Moderate Grade Walking tour departing Christchurch.
1 night accommodation at Novotel Christchurch.
1 night accommodation at Picton Yacht Club.
1 night accommodation at Furneaux Lodge, Endeavour Inlet.
1 night accommodation at Punga Cove Resort.
1 night accommodation at Portage Hotel Torea Bay.
2 nights accommodation at Hotel Durville or Scenic Hotel, Marlborough Sounds.
2 nights accommodation at Wellington QT Hotel Travel on the Coastal Pacific train from Christchurch to Picton.
Carry day packs only in a small group of up to 20 guests accompanied by your APT Walking Leader and local walking guides.
Enjoy locally-inspired gourmet dining - a total of 19 meals (9 Breakfasts, 5 Lunches, 5 Dinners) including wine with dinner during Queen Charlotte Track walk.
Guests (and luggage) travel between accommodation and trail-heads aboard a comfortable vehicle.
Walk through pristine locations including Queen Charlotte and Kenepuru Sounds.
Discover the Marlborough wine region, with a delicious lunch including wine tastings.
Cruise the Interislander ferry with breathtaking views from the South to the North Island.
Spend time discovering the New Zealand capital of Wellington with a walk or electric bike tour.
Day 1 Christchurch. Arrive into Christchurch Airport where you'll be met and transferred to your hotel. This evening meet your APT Walking Leader and fellow guests at a welcome reception and briefing.
Day 2 Christchurch to Picton. An early start this morning, stepping onboard the Coastal Pacific train for a scenic ride to the town of Picton, the gateway to the Marlborough Sounds. Enjoy the incredible views as your train travels breathtakingly close to the Pacific Ocean on this iconic rail journey along the east coast of New Zealand's South Island. Arrive into Picton this afternoon and transfer to your hotel. Later attend a pre-walk briefing before enjoying dinner at the hotel.
Day 3 Picton to Queen Charlotte Track to Endeavour Inlet. Board a ferry this morning and cruise to Motuara Island, a bird sanctuary, where you'll set off on a short walk to the island's lookout for 360 degree views of the Marlborough Sounds. Reboard the ferry and head to Ship Cove, looking out for dolphins on the way. Here you'll begin the first section of the Queen Charlotte track, walking through stunning beech and fern forests to Endeavour Inlet, and the welcome site of the Furneaux Lodge, where you will be treated to a gourmet dinner of chef-prepared local produce and Marlborough wine. Walking distance, 15 kilometres (5 hours)
Day 4 Queen Charlotte Track to Endeavour Inlet to Punga Cove. Today, your walk takes you from the native bush surrounds of Endeavour Inlet, pausing to discover remnants of long-ago settlements and learning about the area's mining history. Continuing along the track, some sections hug the coast while others delve into pristine native forests. Take time to enjoy the spectacular coastal views and enjoy a gourmet picnic lunch which is guaranteed to be accompanied by an outstanding vista. This afternoon, arrive at Punga Cove and check in to Punga Cove Resort where your room has a sea view and a delicious gourmet meal with local wine will be served this evening. Walking distance, 11.5 kilometres (4 hours)
Day 5 Queen Charlotte Track to Punga Cove to Torea Bay. Today you may choose to embark on the most challenging but rewarding section of the walk, or perhaps opt to spend the day at leisure before boarding a boat take you around Queen Charlotte Sound the Portage Hotel. The walkers will embark on a trek across the ridgeline from Punga Cove to Torea Saddle, with breathtaking views overlooking the Queen Charlotte and Kenepuru Sounds. After a full day on the track, unlace your hiking boots in a sea view room at the Portage Hotel, located on the waterfront with sublime views of the turquoise expanse of Torea Bay. Enjoy a delicious dinner of contemporary New Zealand cuisine paired with Marlborough region wine. Walking distance, 23 kilometres (8 hours)
Day 6 Queen Charlotte Track to Torea Bay to Anakiwa to Blenheim. Set off from the Portage Hotel after a delicious breakfast, for the last day of the Queen Charlotte Track walk. Once again the scenery is majestic and after some initial hilly rises, the track will take you through easy sections of open farmland and native bush. The full day's walk includes a gourmet picnic lunch and plenty of rest breaks to enjoy the epic views. Arrive at Anakiwa Jetty where a boat will take you back to Picton, followed by a transfer to the town of Blenheim, in the heart of the Marlborough wine-growing region. Walking distance, 20.5 kilometres (7 hours)
Day 7 Blenheim. This morning you may choose to rest and relax or perhaps set off and explore the town of Blenheim which has a rich Polynesian cultural heritage. Enjoy a local-flavoured lunch at a winery and tastings in the afternoon.
Day 8 Blenheim to Wellington. This morning, travel to Picton where you'll board the Interislander Ferry. Cruise across Cook Strait traversing the stunning waters of Marlborough and Queen Charlotte sounds while taking in breathtaking surrounds. Arrive into Wellington, the nation's capital, and transfer to your luxurious art-inspired hotel. Enjoy the rest of the afternoon and evening at leisure.
Day 9 Wellington. Today enjoy a discovery of the delightful city of Wellington on either a walking or electric bike tour. Enjoy the sights of the harbour city's busy waterfront fringed by colourful timber houses all gracefully overlooked by Tangi-te keo (Mt Victoria). Celebrate the end of your New Zealand Walking holiday with a Farewell Dinner this evening.
Day 10 Wellington. This morning after breakfast you will be transferred to the airport for your flight home.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 September 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels,Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes.
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.