Classic Larapinta Trek in Comfort, 6 Days
Valid for select departures 4 April - 26 September 2021
6 day tour departing Alice Springs.
Accommodated in exclusive semi-permanent wilderness campsites.
Camping equipment including tents, swags & stretcher beds.
5 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners, snacks & hot drinks.
Professional wilderness guide & support staff.
Fees to Aboriginal Traditional Owners and National Park fees.
All transport during the tour.
Emergency communications & 24 hour back-up, plus comprehensive group first aid kit.
Day 1 Telegraph Station to Wallaby Gap. We pick you up from your accommodation between 7-7.30am and begin our walk at the historic Alice Springs Telegraph Station, the official start of the Larapinta Trail. From here the trail takes us west through witchetty bush, mulga scrub, and birdfilled shady woodlands. We climb high over exposed hills to the jagged outcrop of Euro Ridge, with expansive views over Alice Springs and the surrounding landscape, before descending to the passage of Wallaby Gap. After a stop for refreshments you take a quick transfer by bus to Nick's Camp. Nick's Camp is one of our exclusive award-winning camps, nestled in the bush with stunning views across the Heavitree Range and Alice Valley. Following your introduction to camp you will be treated to a spread of local bush foods prepared by local specialist Rayleen Brown. Walking Time: 5-8 hours
Day 2 Nicks Camp to Simpsons Gap to Standley Chasm. From Nick's Camp we continue west through magnificent, shady Bloodwoods and tall Ironwoods, the dominant trees on this narrow alluvial flat. We may catch sight of Black-footed Rock Wallaby as we approach one of the most important waterholes of the area, Simpsons Gap. A short transfer takes us to the stunning Standley Chasm where you will enjoy a talk about indigenous culture. All departures will journey into Arrernte country for a cultural conversation. After a delicious picnic lunch and a walk into the magnificent Chasm - a private reserve still run by the traditional owners - we transfer to back to our campsite. Walking Time: 3-5 hours
Day 3 Serpentine Gorge to Charlies Camp. Today's highlight is the 5km walk along the crest of the high ridge leading to Counts Point. From here we have clear views of Central Australia's western horizon to Mt Zeil (1531m), the highest peak in the Northern Territory, and Mt Sonder which marks the end of the Larapinta Trail. We can also see the huge comet crater of Gosse Bluff, a feature of the landscape for the next few days. We descend from the high ridgetop though mysterious stands of mulga trees. At the base of the ridge we follow a track of dolomite limestone toward camp; keep your eye out for fossil stromatolites under foot, one of the most ancient forms of life. Stepping off the main trail, we follow our private track to Charlie's Camp, named in honour of pioneering Larapinta guide Charlie Holmes. Tonight's camp is nestled in secluded wilderness at the foothills of Counts Point. Spend the evening relaxing around the campfire while your guides prepare a scrumptious dinner. Walking Time: 5.5-6.5 hours
Day 4 Charlies Camp to Ochre Pits. After another wonderful breakfast we walk out of camp to the breathtaking Inarlanga (Echidna) Pass, visiting Serpentine Chalet en route. We spend some time in the magnificent pass to enjoy the peace and marvel at the ancient cycad palms. From here we trek south-west to an original ochre quarry, a sacred Aboriginal site. The rainbow of vibrant colours on the wave-like ochre wall makes for stunning photos. We then break for a picnic lunch and an early finish in preparation for our big day tomorrow. This afternoon you can relax at Glen Helen Homestead Lodge. We transfer west to one of our exclusive Camps. Fearless - named in honour of trekking guide Sue Fear, or Sonder Camp - named after the majestic Mt Sonder. Both Camps are located at the foothills of Mount Sonder. Walking Time: 3-7 hours
Day 5 Mount Sonder. Your guides will have you up early this morning (2-3am) for our pre-dawn walk up Mount Sonder. Weaving your way up to the 1380m summit of this majestic mountain following only the glittering light of your head-torch, surrounded by deep and peaceful darkness, is a truly inspiring experience... and watching the sunrise rom the top is unforgettable Mount Sonder is the official end and highest point of the entire Larapinta Trail and as such we have expansive views across the entire vast landscape we have been exploring over the last few days. We descend to Redbank Gorge and can enjoy a great brunch back at camp. If time permits in the afternoon we may visit the Glen Helen Homestead at the base of the range where we can relax with a drink. A short transfer returns us to camp looking back up toward Mt Sonder. Walking Time: 6-7 hours
Day 6 Ormiston Pound Walk to Alice Springs. This morning we enjoy the best side walk of the entire Larapinta Trail: Ormiston Pound. The Pound offers an immense variety of extraordinary scenery and is the perfect walk to complete our journey. We explore the upper reaches of the Gorge where we may see Rock Wallabies scamper about the imposing cliffs, and follow the track through scrub filled with native birds: Spinifex Pigeon, Budgerigar and Mistletoe Bird. Keep an eye out overhead for the majestic Wedge-tailed Eagle, Australia's largest raptor. After lunch we board the bus and transfer to Alice Springs. Sitting back and watching the now familiar ancient desert landscape slide by the bus window gives most trekkers a sense of awe and satisfaction. Congratulations on all you have achieved over the last six days We will drop you to your accommodation at approximately 4-5pm. This evening your group may like to arrange a celebratory dinner together at one of Alice's great eateries. Walking Time: 3-4 hours
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 December 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.