The Overland, 6 Days
Valid for select departures 4 October 2020 - 23 May 2021
6 day tour departing Launceston.
5 nights camping with tent, Sleeping bag, inner sheet & inflatable sleeping mat provided.
5 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners snacks and hot drinks plus food drop provisions along the track.
2 professional wilderness guides.
Backpack and gaiters provided for use during the trip.
Transport by private minibus and Lake St Clair ferry passage.
National Park fees, Overland Track Permit.
Group camping equipment including all cooking & eating equipment.
Emergency communications & group first aid kit.
Day 1 Launceston to Cradle Mountain National Park, walk Waldheim to Waterfall Valley. We pick you up from your Launceston accommodation between 7-7.30am and drive 2.5 hours to Waldheim, 'forest home', where our Overland Track trek begins. The morning is spent walking up past lakes and tarns to the top of the Cradle Plateau where we are rewarded with views of Dove Lake and an endless horizon of impressive mountain ranges. After lunch, weather and time permitting, we may opt for a side trip to the craggy summit of Cradle Mountain before making our way to Waterfall Valley for our first night under the stars. Walking Distance: 10km + side trips | Walking Time: 5 hours + side trips
Day 2 Waterfall Valley to Lake Windermere. After breakfast at our campsite we continue south to Lake Windermere. A leisurely day that offers time for a side trip to Lake Will - named after a coal prospector in the 1800s. There is opportunity to have a relaxing lunch and swim from the sandy shores of Lake Will. Returning to our packs we head back across the rolling buttongrass plains to our stunning campsite. We spend the afternoon kicking back with a hot drink taking in the fabulous views from camp, and perhaps having another refreshing swim. Walking Distance: 8km + side trips | Walking Time: 3 hours + side trips
Day 3 Lake Windermere to Pelion Plains. Today is a wild day of moorlands and mountain views. We don our packs and walk across Pine Forest Moor with spectacular views across the massive Forth River Valley to the lofty heights of Mt Oakleigh and to today's destination at its base. We descend around Mount Pelion West to a popular lunch spot at Frog Flats. After lunch we walk up through tall, lush forest onto the great expanse of Pelion Plains. We have the option of a short side trip to Old Pelion Hut to gain a deeper appreciation of the park's rich history. Walking Distance: 17km | Walking Time: 7 hours
Day 4 Pelion Plains to Kia Ora. From camp we continue walking south through Myrtle forest, past tufted Pandani trees, then up to the saddle (1113m) between Mount Pelion East and Mount Ossa. This is the perfect place for a well deserved rest. In fine weather climbing Mount Ossa - Tasmania's highest peak at 1617m - is without a doubt one of the highlights of the Overland Track. With magnificent views in all directions we continue south into Pinestone Valley to our creek-side campsite overlooking the grand spires of Cathedral Mountain. Walking Distance: 9km + side trips | Walking Time: 5 hours + side trips
Day 5 Kia Ora to Bert Nichols. Today we walk through towering rainforests of Leatherwood and Sassafrass trees, heading towards three of Tasmania's largest and most spectacular waterfalls. The first we visit is Fergusson Falls, named after a former ranger at Lake St Clair, followed by Dalton Falls. The third of these enchanting falls is the spectacular Hartnett Falls, named after Paddy Hartnett, an eccentric Irish bushman who was rarely seen without his bowler hat. We walk up through Du Cane Gap then descend to our campsite at Bert Nichols. Walking Distance: 10km + side trips | Walking Time: 4 hours + side trips
Day 6 Bert Nichols to Lake St Clair to Launceston. Today we pack our backpacks for the final day on the track, which takes us through mixed eucalyptus and stands of temperate rainforest to the shore of Lake St Clair, the deepest natural lake in the Southern Hemisphere. As we near Lake St Clair we can gaze up to the peaks of Mt Ida and majestic Mount Olympus. We catch a 30 minute ferry across the lake, providing spectacular views back upon the mountains we've walked past, and a wonderful conclusion to our Overland Track trek. After time to explore the visitor centre and a celebratory lunch, we board the bus for our return drive across the Central Plateau to Launceston. You will be dropped off at your Launceston accommodation at approximately 5pm. Walking Distance: 9km | Walking Time: 3 hours
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 December 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.