Bungle Bungles & the Piccaninnny Gorge Trek, 5 Days
Valid for select departures 24 May - 19 July 2021
5 day tour departing Kununurra.
4 nights camping with all group camping equipment including mosquito net, sleeping mats, ground sheet (tarpaulin), stoves, catering and dining utensils provided.
5 breakfasts, 5 lunches and 4 dinners, snacks and hot drinks.
Professional wilderness guides (2 guides).
All National Park and camping fees.
Emergency communications and group first aid kit.
Scenic private charter flights from Kununurra to Bungle Bungles and return.
Day 1 Scenic flight to Bungle Bungles airstrip, 4WD transfer, trek to Piccaninny Gorge. Our adventure begins when we pick you up from your Kununurra accommodation around 6am and transfer to the airport - with a bite to eat for breakfast en route - for our one hour dawn flight over the Ord River and Lake Argyle, into Purnululu National Park. You'll never forget your first sight of the Bungle Bungles from the air, a maze of thousands of domes that seem impenetrable were it not for Piccaninny Gorge. After the flight we have a short and scenic 4WD transit to the trail head, then begin our full pack exploratory walk following the track north-east deep into the World Heritage listed ranges. This evening we set up our base-camp surrounded by the red cliffs of the Bungles at Piccaninny Gorge, one of the world's most remote wilderness areas. Walking Distance: 13km
Day 2-3 Piccaninny Gorge System. Sheer rock walls surround us on all sides, within which there is so much to discover. The beautiful light bouncing off the worn and coloured sandstone lifts the soul and inspires your walking, exploring and experiencing. During these couple of days we can go as hard or easy as the group desires, allowing the most chance of immersing ourselves in this truly pristine environment where people are few and nature is boundless. Carrying only a day pack with the essential supplies we disappear into the many fingers of the upper gorge, allowing plenty of time for nature appreciation, rock hopping, photography and maybe even a dip into a cool and isolated rock hole. Each evening we enjoy kicking back at base-camp and chatting about the day's adventures over a delicious meal. Walking Distance: 5km + each day, including scrambling and rock hopping
Day 4 Cathedral Gorge. Today we break camp and once again don our full packs. We retreat out of Piccaninny Gorge past The Elbow, having the opportunity to again appreciate the vast formation of domes in this area. Every dome is unique, and even the same dome will look completely different depending on the weather and angle of the sun - the more time you spend in The Bungles, the more enchanted you become by this ancient and majestic landscape. We follow Piccaninny Creek south west towards Cathedral Gorge. Keep your eye out for one of the more than 130 bird species found here, and native animals such as the short-eared rock wallaby. This afternoon we set up camp in another remote location near the creek, from where we watch the sunset light reflect dramatically off the domes. Walking Distance: 9km
Day 5 Cathedral Gorge and scenic flight back to Kununurra. This morning we return to the trail head via a short and unforgettable side trip into the grand Cathedral Gorge. It is said that the acoustics within the naturally walled amphitheatre of the Gorge are better than the Sydney Opera House After soaking in the magic sounds of the gorge, we take our final leg of the trail to meet up with the transit vehicle, which returns us to the airstrip. The last part of this journey is our scenic flight around and out of the Bungles, passing over Piccaninny Gorge and the areas we walked through, Argyle diamond mine and Lake Argyle and finally Kununurra. This flight is possibly one of the most beautiful scenic flights anywhere in Australia. It is an inspiring way to finish the trip and provides perfect opportunity to reflect on all we have experienced on this walking adventure. Walking Distance: approx. 5km
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 April 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.