South Australia's Wine, Brews, Distillery & Tasting Trail, 6 Days
If you travel for your taste buds, this culinary adventure, through South Australia's premier food & drink regions, is for you. With a plethora of influences, ranging from German to French, this region has a food and drink culture which dates back generations.Day 1 Adelaide to Fleurieu Peninsula (Victor Harbor via McLaren Vale) (84km)
Make your way to the Fleurieu Peninsula today, stopping at many wineries in the McLaren Vale region. Stop into d'Arenberg winery and sample a selection of their best drops at what looks like a giant Rubik's Cube seemingly floating above their vineyard. Dine in a vineyard dating back to 1893 at Maxwell Wines set in a stunning Limestone building, or feast on local produce at the Currant Shed, set between a lime grove and beautiful vineyards. Beer lovers can enjoy a tasting experience showcasing a range of premium beer-styles at Vale Brewing, located at Beresford Estate. A short drive south, you will reach the charming seaside village of Victor Harbor, featuring early colonial architecture. Take a dip at one of the sandy beaches, see the aquatic wildlife, or dine on delicious local seafood fresh from the trawlers at many of the dining outlets around town.
If you are visiting the region on a Saturday, you can get a taste of the best regional produce on offer at the Farmers Markets in Willunga in the McLaren Vale region, or in Victor Harbor.
Stay 1 night in Victor HarborDay 2 Fleurieu Peninsula (Victor Harbor) to Adelaide Hills (92km)
Over an hour's drive is the Adelaide Hills with over 60 award-winning cellar doors at your disposal. Sample some of Australia's best cool-climate wines, food and produce as you explore this beautiful part of the world. Explore the charming town of Hahndorf, Australia's oldest surviving German settlement and discover heritage German buildings, pubs and cafes lining the streets of the village. Stop into the Hahndorf Inn for a traditional German feast, or Ambleside Distillers and taste their handcrafted signature gins, overlooking the picturesque botanical gardens. Feast on fresh local produce or sample signature wines at The Lane Vineyard restaurant and cellar door, pick your own strawberries at Beerenberg Farm or stock up on their famous jams, condiments and sauces.
North of Hahndorf, you will find Lot. 100, a collection of South Australia's best food and craft beverage producers showcasing a medley of their gourmet delights, from cider, craft beer, wine, gin and juice, along with paddock to plate dining. For dairy lovers, sample delicious artisan cheese at Woodside Cheese Wrights, or treat yourself to locally made chocolates at the Melba's Chocolate Factory in Woodside. Continue north of the Adelaide Hills and you will find Applewood Distillery and Unico Zelo Wines, an old 1920s cold store where you can sample a range of wines and gins.
Stay 1 night in the Adelaide HillsDay 3 - 4 Adelaide Hills to Barossa Valley (39km)
Spend the next two nights in one of the world's best wine regions, the Barossa Valley, with over 80 cellar doors, home to some of the most awarded wines in the world. There are many fine wineries to choose from, so plan ahead to select the wineries you want to visit, or leave the car at your hotel, and join a tour that will take you to some of the best wineries around.
A must-do is a visit to the Barossa's most iconic winery, Seppeltsfield, founded in 1851, where you can drink in the history of Seppeltsfield and even taste your own birth-year Tawny directly from the barrel. Stop into Penfolds, not just for their outstanding wines, they also house the Barossa Distilling Company. Taste a range of craft spirits, including gin, whisky, rum, vodka, brandy and liquors, plus they have created some of the finest cocktails to be found in the Barossa. Visit the Barossa Farmers Markets, held weekly on a Saturday, to sample fresh local produce, award-winning cheese or a variety of delicious wines. Be sure to stop into Maggie Beer Farm Eatery for a tasty quintessential South Australian treat, or Jacob's Creek Visitor Centre, where you can make your own blend, or join a gourmet cooking and wine masterclass.
Stay 2 nights in the Barossa ValleyDay 5 Barossa Valley to Clare Valley (108km)
Take a slight detour to visit Lake Bumbunga to see the lake change colours from pink, to white, to blue, depending on the salinity of the water throughout the year. As you reach Clare Valley, discover over 40 wineries and vineyards scattered throughout the region, with it's signature Riesling, being among the best in the world.
Visit the rustic and delightful Terroir Auburn with its Parisian feel, built circa in the 1860s, before passing the charming town of Watervale. Stop a little further for lunch at Skillogalee, an historic settler's cottage, surrounded by beautiful gardens, or the quench your thirst at the Clare Valley Brewing Co, where they draw water from a natural aquifer beneath the brewery, creating a range of ales and a stout for you to enjoy.
Stay 1 night in the Clare ValleyDay 6 Clare Valley to Adelaide (143km)
Before heading home, take a slight detour to the heritage town of Burra and Mintaro, each boasting its own unique characteristic charm. Stop at Burra Fresh for breakfast as they are known for their great coffee and use of local farm-fresh produce. Approximately 5 minutes from Mintaro, step back in time and explore Martindale Hall, a living museum and one of Australia's prettiest country mansions.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- ^Flexible Terms & Conditions: Applies to selected products only & excludes instant purchase & non-refundable products. Please ask your consultant for details at time of booking. A refundable deposit of $55 per person is required to secure your booking. Final payment is due 30 days prior to travel, unless travelling within 30 days of booking. Changes & cancellations made 9 days or more prior to travel will not incur fees. Changes are subject to availability & may incur additional costs due to changes in seasonality, pricing & applicable surcharges. Any additional cost associated with changing will remain the responsibility of the customer. Original booking may contain bonus inclusions which are no longer available. In this instance, you will be offered a credit of your payment less any applicable supplier fees. In the instance that flights are added, the booking becomes non-refundable & change fees will apply. Changes & cancellations made within the applicable cancellation period will be subject to Flight Centre's Change & Cancellation policy which can be found at www.flightcentre.com.au. In the event there is any inconsistency between these terms and conditions and our booking terms and conditions https://www.flightcentre.com.au/booking-terms-condition, these terms and conditions will apply.
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels, Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.