Glories of Greece - Classic Group, Preview 2022
From 29/03/2022 to 31/10/2022
Included Insight Services.
Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned coach.
On departures with 8 or more guests, personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency.
We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
Complimentary transfers from/to Athens airport are available on arrival and departure days, or with additional accommodation booked through Insight Vacations.
Day 1 - Welcome to Athens An Insight host will meet you at the airport and take you to the hotel, where there is time to settle in and relax.At 19:00, join your Travel Director for a Welcome Reception, and get to know your fellow travellers over a delightful evening of dinner and wine.(Dinner with Wine)
Day 2 - Athens, City of Gods Today your mythical Grecian discovery encapsulates the intriguing history of ancient Greece. Begin with an exploration revealing the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Arch of Hadrian. Next, your Local Expert takes you to the Acropolis, one of the most important ancient sites in the Western world. Crowning the top is the Parthenon, visible from almost everywhere in the city. See the Temple of Athena Nike, also known as the Temple of the Wingless Victory, and the six stone-carved caryatids that make up the Porch of the Maidens on the Erechtheion. Continue to Thermopylae, famous as the mountain pass where King Leonidas led his Spartan army, along with fellow Greek soldiers, into battle against the Persians in 480 B.C.See the memorial dedicated to Leonidas and his courageous Spartans.Then on to your hotel in Kalambaka for dinner.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 3 - The pinnacles of Meteora With your Local Expert, visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Meteora, meaning 'in the air.' The massive pinnacles of smooth rock are ancient, yet could also be the setting for a futuristic science-fiction tale. Visit one of the monasteries, that adds to the strange and beautiful landscape and enjoy stunning views over the Peneios Valley.The rest of the day is at your leisure. Why not explore with a relaxed walk on the nature trails? Alternatively, you may wish to visit the Natural History Museum.(Breakfast)
Day 4 - The Sacred Way and onto Olympia Travel south, stopping at the foothills of Mount Parnassus.Ascend the Sacred Way of Delphi with your Local Expert. Pass the Parian marble Treasury of the Athenians and Polygonal Wall with its interlocking stones, still perfectly intact after thousands of years. You'll approach the Temple of Apollo, where for 14 centuries the mysterious Oracle of Delphi breathed her enigmatic 'words,' rumoured to have successfully predicted events related to the Argonauts expedition and the Trojan War.Your travels continue to Olympia, where dinner is served in your hotel.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 5 - Ancient Olympia It's all in the name. Ancient Olympia is the site where the Ancient Olympic Games began in 776 B.C., in dedication to the god Zeus.See the ruined Temple of Zeus that was built to honour the ruler of the gods. Continue your exploration through time to the athletes gymnasium and the Ancient Stadium of Olympia with its characteristic arch. The starting and finishing markers for the sprint track are still marked by stones and there is time to capture your own memory, with a photo at the starting line. In the evening, join a local chef for an entertaining cooking demonstration showcasing classic Greek cuisine. Experience authentic Greek flavours, as you savour dishes prepared for your Highlight Dinner.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 6 - Mycenae and Nafplio Today you leave the ancient city of Olympia and begin your journey back to the capital.Stop for a visit at the ruined city of Mycenae with a Local Expert. Walk through the Lion Gate, visit the royal beehive-tombs and see the giant Cyclopean stones used to build the city walls.Later, meet the artisans and view beautiful works of art at a family-run pottery studio.Travel to the elegant town of Nafplio known for its beautiful architecture, colour shops and cafes.Your journey continues, following the shores of the Saronic Gulf to pass the Corinth Canal, dividing the Peloponnese and mainland Greece, before arriving in Athens.In the evening, enjoy a hearty Celebration Dinner in true Greek style, complete with wine and good cheer.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Day 7 - Depart Athens This morning after breakfast, your Grecian odyssey comes to an end. Take a complimentary transfer to Athens Airport for your onward journey.(Breakfast) Authentic Dining Athens: Get to know your fellow travelers over a delightful Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant. Olympia: Join a local chef and savour the regional specialities in a fun, exciting introduction to Greek cooking. Olympia: Join a local chef and savour the regional specialties in a fun, exciting introduction to Greek cooking. Athens: Toast the culmination of your vacation with a lively Celebration Dinner in true Greek style at a local restaurant. Dining Summary: 6 Breakfast (B), 5 Dinner with Wine (DW) Insight Experiences Mycenae: Discover traditional pottery methods at an artist's studio in Mycenae. Top Rated Highlights Athens: See the Arch of Hadrian, erected in honour of the Roman Emperor and used as a divider between the ancient city and the new Roman district, along with the remaining columns of the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Thermopylae: See the Leonidas Monument dedicated to the brave warrior and his 300 Spartans. Kalambaka : Your Travel Director will provide an orientation of this town situated at the base of the extraordinary Meteora rocks. Meteora: With a Local Expert, visit one of the remarkable centuries-old monasteries of Meteora, teetering on towers of rock and arguably the most spectacular place to visit in Greece. Delphi: With your Local Expert, walk to The Sacred Way once lined with offertory temples. See the reconstructed Athenian Treasury and pass the superb Polygonal Wall to reach the Temple of Apollo, where the people would seek divine wisdom from the mysterious Oracle. Olympia: The stadium of Olympia hosted the ancient Olympic Games and the Heraia, the women's games in honour of Hera. See the Temple of Zeus, athlete's gymnasium and the stone marker where the sprint began. Mycenae: Walk through the Lion Gate past the royal beehive-tombs where Schliemann uncovered golden treasure, while hearing tales of Agamemnon from your Local Expert. Nafplio: Join your Travel Director in an orientation of this beautiful seaport town and see why it is named one of Greece's prettiest spots. Corinth Channel: Cross the amazing rock-cut channel dividing the Peloponnese from mainland Greece.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 07 December 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.