9 Night The Ghan Coast to Coast Journey
The accommodationDarwin 3 nights accommodation at the 4.5-star self rated Mantra Pandanus Darwin in a City View Studio with balcony. The Ghan 2 nights accommodation on-board The Ghan, Gold Service, Twin Cabin from Darwin to Adelaide. Adelaide 2 nights accommodation at the 4.5-star Oaks Plaza Pier, Glenelg in a 1 Bedroom Apartment. Victor Harbor 2 nights accommodation at the 4-star McCracken Country Club in a Resort Spa Room. The Ghan Coast to Coast Journey. Day 1 - 3 Darwin
Darwin, famed for its markets, festivals, beautiful harbour and spectacular sunsets, is a cosmopolitan city with a warm and tropical outdoor lifestyle. The strong Indigenous culture here is reflected in the array of languages spoken in the city, as well as the art which fills the city's museums and galleries. The close proximity to Asia has also led to strong eastern influences on the energetic food scene and night markets, with the laksa being a firm favourite with the locals.
Just 60km from Darwin lies the Adelaide River, home to over 1600 Crocodiles and the location of the famous Jumping Crocodiles. Join this tour in the afternoon and travel down the Stuart Highway to the Adelaide River, enjoying commentary about the outskirts of Darwin along the way. Cruise the river and thrill as these awesome creatures launch themselves out of the water. The cruise will enable you to see these prehistoric creatures at close range.
Afterwards continue to the Window on the Wetlands Visitor Centre for view over the Marrakai Plains and then its on to Fogg Dam Nature Reserve to view a wetland ecosystem up close. Its also a good opportunity to spot for birds and other wildlife.
Stay 3 nights in Darwin.Day 4 Darwin to Katherine (The Ghan)
From Darwin, take in the remarkable Top End views before stopping in Katherine for an afternoon of unique touring. Prepare to experience one of the region's most impressive natural wonders near Katherine. The stunning Nitmiluk Gorge lies within the massive 292,000 hectares of the Nitmiluk National Park, and you'll have the chance to explore it from the water with guided cruise options ' an experience you'll never forget.Day 5 Katherine to Alice Springs (The Ghan)
Next stop is Alice Springs, where more Off Train Excursions await. Explore Simpsons Gap, tour the town attractions, or get up close to some of the Red Centre's native wildlife. Dinner on the train is followed by an extraordinary evening experience in the outback where you will see the Milky Way like you have never seen it before. Simply breathtaking.Day 6 Alice Springs to Adelaide (The Ghan)
From your cabin window this morning you'll see a dramatic change in landscape, as the rich ochre tones of the outback make way for the green fields of South Australia. Enjoy a leisurely brunch as you pass through the majestic Flinders Ranges and prepare for your mid-morning arrival into Adelaide, completing one of the world's great travel experiences. Collect your hire car where you can explore Adelaide at your own pace.
Adelaide is bursting at the seams with culture, events, flavour, and entertainment, with an evolving small-bar scene, world-class art and music. Take a stroll along the tree-lined boulevard, North Terrace, which is home to some of the city's most important cultural institutions. The Art Gallery of South Australia houses some 38,000 works featuring Australian, European, North American and Asian artwork.
Stay 2 nights in Glenelg, Adelaide.Day 7 Adelaide
Today enjoy the Adelaide Central Market Morning Tour. You will be taken on a sensory interactive gourmet experience, giving you an opportunity to try delicious tastings that represent the premium food grown and produced in South Australia. This tour is designed by one of South Australia's noted food experts, Mark Gleeson; with over 30 years experience in the food tourism and hospitality industries, Gleeson's knowledge of South Australia's finest produce market is second to none. Meet some locals, enjoy their hospitality and discover the true South Australia.Day 8 - 9 Adelaide to Victor Harbor (via McLaren Vale) (84 kms)
Make your way to the Fleurieu Peninsula today, stopping at many wineries in the McLaren Vale region. Stop into d'Arenberg winery and sample a selection of their best drops at what looks like a giant Rubik's Cube seemingly floating above their vineyard.
Whilst at d'Arenberg take part in The Blending Bench; a hands-on, interactive experience where you play winemaker. A palette of wine parcels, each with distinctive flavours and textures, are melded in search of balance, fullness, and finesse. We did the physical work picking, crushing, fermenting, foot treading, basket pressing and barrel ageing, and you get to create a wine that is truly unique. You then bottle, name and label a 750ml sample to take home and show off to your friends.
A short drive south, you will then reach the charming seaside village of Victor Harbor, featuring early colonial architecture. Take a dip at one of the sandy beaches, see the aquatic wildlife, or dine on delicious local seafood fresh from the trawlers at many of the dining outlets around town.
Stay 2 nights at Victor Harbor.Day 10 Victor Harbor to Adelaide (84 kms)
Make your way back to Adelaide at your own leisure.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 11 November 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- This is an Everyday saver fare:
- 91 days or more prior to departure - $50 per person cancellation fee.
- 90 - 46 days prior to departure - $500 per person cancellation fee.
- Within 45 days prior to departure - Fare is non-refundable.
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels, Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes.
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.