Best of Spain
From 25/03/2022 to 21/10/2022
7 dinners (including Be My Guest).
First class travel Highlights.
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Daily breakfast and up to half your evening meals.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Day 1 - Hola Madrid Welcome to the fiery Spanish capital that is Madrid. Delve deep into the soul of a city that marches to the tune of the tapas, before meeting up with your fellow travellers and Travel Director for a memorable Welcome Reception and orientation drive to see some of the city's most iconic sights.
Day 2 - Journey to Burgos and on to Santander Journey over the pine-clad Guadarrama Mountains to Burgos, the historic capital of Castile, where we will visit the tomb of El Cid, a national hero and the protagonist of the most significant medieval Spanish epic poem - El Cantar de Mio Cid. We cross the Ebro River and the Cantabrian Cordillera Mountains, travelling to the coast and the sophisticated capital of the Cantabrian region, Santander.
Day 3 - Onwards to Culinary San Sebasti?n and Pamplona We depart Santander and travel to Bilbao to view the striking Guggenheim Museum, built from titanium, glass and limestone and designed by renowned Canadian-American architect, Frank Gehry. Continuing to San Sebasti?n, the gourmet capital of Spain, we see the beautiful Bahia de La Concha beach during our orientation drive. Our overnight stay is in the vibrant city of Pamplona, famous for its Running of the Bulls fiesta. Follow in the footsteps of Hemingway and enjoy a drink at Caf? Iru?a, ramble along the brilliantly lit city ramparts or delight in the local pintxos before enjoying dinner at your hotel this evening.
Day 4 - Continue to Gaudi's Barcelona Our journey continues through the Ebro Valley to Zaragoza where we'll view the Basilica of El Pilar and Cathedral of La Seo. Arrive in Barcelona, soak up the charm of a city that professes two great loves - Gaud? and football. Enjoy panoramic views of a city, which dates back to Roman times, from atop Montju?c, then spend the rest of the day at leisure. Amble through the Gothic Quarter's labyrinthine lanes, indulge in the aromas and flavours of La Boqueria and discover the best crema Catalana in town.
Day 5 - Discover Barcelona The whimsical fantasy world of Gaud? is on display this morning as we embark on a sightseeing tour to see the inspiring, but as yet unfinished, La Sagrada Fam?lia in the company of a Local Specialist. We'll see Las Ramblas and Pla?a de Catalunya, which lies at the heart of Barcelona, before paying tribute to Christopher Columbus at the monument that bears his name. This afternoon, consider joining an Optional Experience to the mountain-top monastery of Montserrat to see the shrine of the Black Madonna, the patron saint of Catalonia.
Day 6 - Off to Coastal Pe??scola and Valencia The sweet scent of oranges accompanies us on our journey along the Costa Dorada south to fortified Pe??scola, where we'll see the ancient castle used in the film 'El Cid'. Continuing through fertile huertas, we arrive in sunny Valencia where we will stay the night. Our orientation of this cultural city includes views of the town hall, the bullring, the Towers of Serrano and Quart, and the cathedral, which is said to house one of the Holy Chalices of the World. Witness the modern verve of Valencia and view the City of Arts and Sciences, a large-scale urban recreation centre for culture and science, designed by Santiago Calatrava, before spending the rest of the evening at leisure.
Day 7 - Venture to Granada Journey via the dramatic Mora Pass to the city of Granada where we meet our Local Specialist for a sightseeing tour of the spectacular UNESCO-listed Alhambra. Its golden fa?ades and extraordinary Moorish architecture reflect centuries of multi-cultural history, which you will have a rare opportunity to explore as you wander through its palaces and exotic water gardens. Check in to your hotel later, where we will dine tonight.
Day 8 - On the Road to Sunny Costa del Sol Set your watch to Spanish time and enjoy a leisurely morning on your terms, or consider taking an Optional Experience to explore the medieval Moorish Quarter of Granada - Albaic?n - with its narrow winding lanes, churches, minarets and palaces. We leave Granada behind for the sun-kissed shores of the Costa del Sol, where we'll spend the next two nights. The rest of the day is yours to enjoy. Stroll along the beachside promenade, relax at one of the nearby beach cafes or visit the picture-perfect whitewashed Andalusian village of Mijas - the choice is yours.
Day 9 - Costa del Sol Your Way Another day in paradise for you to kick back, worship the Spanish sunshine and taste la buena vida. Enjoy fresh seafood in Torremolinos, relax on the bleached beaches and soak up the Mediterranean atmosphere or consider an Optional Experience to the effervescent Andalusian capital of M?laga to explore centuries of history.
Day 10 - Explore Gibraltar and on to Seville A scenic drive takes you past the millionaire's resort of Marbella and on to La Linea. Cross to the Rock of Gibraltar, for free time to explore or consider joining an Optional Experience to St. Michael's Cave to see the Barbary Macaques (Rock Apes). This afternoon, continue through the Andalusian countryside past Jerez - famous for its sherry production - to Seville. Tonight, we Connect With Locals over dinner at a Be My Guest experience with the Morillo family at their olive oil estate.** See Trip Notes
Day 11 - See the Sights of Seville Join your Local Specialist this morning for a tour of Seville's leafy avenues. See the iconic Giralda Bell Tower and visit the Seville Cathedral, the final resting place of Christopher Columbus. Stroll through Maria Luisa Park, with its tiled fountains, pavilions, palms and orange trees, and walk through the imposing Plaza de Espa?a. Explore the Jewish history of Spain in Seville's former Jewish Quarter, where a wall separated the Jewish community from the rest of the city during medieval times. Tonight, consider soaking up the fiery flamenco atmosphere in the city that made this passionate dance famous.
Day 12 - Journey to C?rdoba We journey to C?rdoba to meet a Local Specialist for a visit to the astounding Mosque of the Caliphs, a jewel of Hispano-Islamic art featuring striking arches and Byzantine mosaics. Then visit the remains of the 14th-century Mud?jar-style synagogue in the old Jewish neighbourhood, before spending the rest of the day at leisure admiring the city's extraordinary Moorish architecture and heritage. This evening we dine at our hotel.
Day 13 - Admire Ancient Toledo then on to Madrid We leave Andaluc?a and cross Don Quijote's La Mancha region, famous for its windmills, wines and cheese. Your Local Specialist takes you on a walking tour of Toledo where you'll Dive Into Culture as you explore this ancient hilltop city. Visit the Church of Santo Tom?, home to El Greco's masterpiece - 'The Burial of the Count of Orgaz', and the synagogue, the oldest one still standing in Europe. This evening we arrive in feisty Madrid, where we'll spend the next two nights.
Day 14 - Discover Stylish Madrid The grand plazas of Madrid take centre stage today as we join our Local Specialist for a sightseeing tour of Spain's capital city. See Gran V?a and the Cibeles Fountain before we Dive Into Culture and visit the world-famous Prado Museum, featuring one of the world's finest collections of European art, including masterpieces by Velazquez. Spend the rest of the day at leisure exploring the city. Visit the Royal Palace with its spectacular Goya artworks, relax in the leafy Buen Retiro Park or enjoy the flavours and aromas of jamon in the Market of San Miguel. This evening, join your Travel Director and fellow travellers for an unforgettable Farewell Dinner to celebrate an epic adventure through Spain.
Day 15 - Farewell Madrid Our journey together has come to an end. For now it's a fond adi?s to Spain and newfound friends. Sightseeing Highlights Explore Barcelona, Seville, C?rdoba, Toledo and Madrid with a Local Specialist Discover Burgos, Santander, Bilbao, San Sebasti?n, Pamplona and Valencia Visit The Tomb of El Cid in Burgos, the Alhambra Palace in Granada, the Rock of Gibraltar, the Cathedral in Seville, the Mosque of the Caliphs in C?rdoba, the Synagogue and Santo Tom? in Toledo and the Prado Museum in Madrid View the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, La Concha Bay in San Sebasti?n, the Cathedral of Zaragoza, La Sagrada Fam?lia in Barcelona, the Castle of Pe??scola, the Serrano and Quart Towers and City of Arts and Sciences complex in Valencia
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 10 December 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.