Coastal Pacific Rail Journey
The accommodationDay 1 - 2 Wellington
Wellington, New Zealand's capital, is a compact city with a powerful mix of culture, history, nature and cuisine. Fuel your visit with strong coffee and world-class craft beer, with an array of cafes, restaurants, night markets and food trucks. Wander through hidden laneways and discover street art, experience the interactive National Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, and be inspired by over 55 galleries.
The region's awe-inspiring landscapes create the perfect backdrop for movie-making magic, which can be experienced behind the scenes in Oscar-winning studios. Why not visit Weta Workshop for a must-see half day experience where you will see incredible props and costumes from films like The Hobbit, Avatar and Thunderbirds Are Go! Or join a full day tour where you will visit the best Lord of the Rings locations around Wellington, including a visit to the Weta Workshop, making it a great day for any Middle-earth fanatic, or general film fan.
Stay 2 nights in Wellington.Day 3 Wellington to Kaikoura (via Interislander Ferry & The Coastal Pacific Train)
Sail across the Cook Straight from Wellington to Picton on the Interislander ferry. This journey is considered one of the most beautiful ferry journeys in the world and one of New Zealand's most iconic experiences. Once you reach Picton, connect onto the Coastal Pacific train to Kaikoura. The waters off the rocky peninsula provide a rich habitat for marine life and seabirds. Kaikoura is famous for whale watching; it lies within the Southern Hemisphere Whale Sanctuary, and several species of whale can be sighted here during the year, predominantly the huge sperm whale.
Kaikoura is famous for its fresh, delicious seafood with the Maori translation of Kaikoura meaning 'food of crayfish'. You must try the local crayfish and mussels with the most famous place to get this is Nins Bin, a food truck located by the beach. Order the garlicky-buttered crayfish, sit on the beach and listen to the sound of the waves on the shore as you tuck in.
Stay 1 night in Kaikoura.Day 4 Kaikoura to Christchurch (via The Coastal Pacific Train)
This morning why not enjoy a half day dolphin watch where you can be taken by boat to observe these incredible wild dolphins! This is a picturesque tour along the Kaikoura coastline and operates in the open ocean. The dusky dolphin is typically one of the most interactive and acrobatic species of dolphin in the world, which means you will be privileged with a once in a lifetime experience!
This afternoon embark on the Coastal Pacific train once again and travel through the idyllic Canterbury Plains to Christchurch.
Stay 2 nights in Christchurch.Day 5 - 6 Christchurch
Christchurch is known as the 'Garden City' for its award-winning expanse of parks and gardens. Hire a bike or stroll through the botanic gardens through the north and south Hagley Parks for a lovely day out, take a leisurely punt ride down the picturesque Avon River, and head up to Summit Road for panoramic views over the city. While in the city, don't miss a visit to the International Antarctic Centre, showcasing the grandeur of the Antarctic through sound and light shows and interactive exhibits. With an eclectic assortment of cafes, bars and restaurants dotted around the city, unique shopping malls and fascinating museums, art spaces, and tram and gondola rides, there is plenty to see and do.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 January 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels, Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes.
- ^Flexible Terms & Conditions: Applies to selected products only & excludes instant purchase & non-refundable products. Please ask your consultant for details at time of booking. A refundable deposit of $55 per person is required to secure your booking. Final payment is due 30 days prior to travel, unless travelling within 30 days of booking. Changes & cancellations made 7 days or more prior to travel will not incur fees. Changes are subject to availability & may incur additional costs due to changes in seasonality, pricing & applicable surcharges. Any additional cost associated with changing will remain the responsibility of the customer. Original booking may contain bonus inclusions which are no longer available. In this instance, you will be offered a credit of your payment less any applicable supplier fees. Any additions to the original booking, including airfares, accommodation, cruises, tours & transfers, will be subject to their own booking terms & conditions which may not permit changes or refunds. If changes are permitted, fees may apply. Changes & cancellations made within the applicable cancellation period will be subject to Flight Centre's Change & Cancellation policy which can be found at www.flightcentre.com.au.In the event there is inconsistency between these Flexible Terms & Conditions & those found on our website, Flexible Terms and Conditions will apply.
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.