New Zealand Retreat: Wanaka
From 04/12/2020 to 23/05/2021
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Dec Fri 04 2020 to Dec Sun 06 2020AvailableFrom$1,050*
Jan Fri 15 2021 to Jan Sun 17 2021AvailableFrom$1,050*
Feb Fri 19 2021 to Feb Sun 21 2021AvailableFrom$1,050*
Apr Fri 23 2021 to Apr Sun 25 2021AvailableFrom$1,050*
May Fri 21 2021 to May Sun 23 2021AvailableFrom$1,050*
Urban List editors say: "This dreamy corner of New Zealand’s South Island has to be seen to be believed – it’s straight-up stunning with unrivalled natural beauty.
You’ll lose track of time in Arrowtown, a village that looks like it’s been ripped from an old Western film set.
Take the chance to jump at the original home of the Bungy, Kawarau Bridge, or simply make the most of the beautiful surrounds.
Sample the flavours of Otago with tastings at a local distillery and a winery where you will meet the winemaker and learn the local craft.
Enjoy the special experience of visiting a lake within an island in a lake on an island, dipping into the clear waters and soaking in the scenery and the silence.
Cycle a section of the spectacular Central Otago Rail Trail, the oldest rail trail in the country, and return to historical Clyde on a trail next to the Clutha River.
Stay in a welcoming, character-filled, family-run lodge.
Stylish yet comfortable Alpine-style rooms and personal service make this a memorable stay.
Breakfasts Included: 2.
Lunches Included: 1.
Dinners Included: 1.
Lodge (2 nights).
Private vehicle,Water taxi.
Age: min 18.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Wanaka - 3-course locally-sourced dinner.
Cardrona - Cardrona Distillery tour & tasting.
Wanaka - Mt Iron hike.
Otago Region - Kawarau Bridge.
Arrowtown - Leader-led orientation walk.
Wanaka - Milennium Track walk.
Wanaka - Mou Waho Island walk.
Wanaka - Water taxi to Mou Waho Island.
Wanaka - Winery tour & tasting.
Otago Rail Trail - Alexandra to Clyde.
Day 1 - Queenstown - Wanaka Welcome to your Wanaka getaway. This retreat begins with a centrally located pickup in Queenstown at 10 am, see the joining point instructions in this Essential Trip Information for more details. Take the short drive to historic Arrowtown, put on the map by the gold-rush of the mid-19th century. Stop at a local cafe for a Welcome Meeting where your local host will give an overview of the upcoming itinerary. Grab a coffee and walk down the tree-lined streets made up of heritage buildings, old cottages and relics of the town’s mineral boom history, with your local host offering insights into the surrounding area and its past. This afternoon you’ll make your way across the Crown Range, to the Cardrona Valley, home to the Cardrona Distillery which, nestled between two mountain ranges, would not look out of place in the Scottish Highlands. Enjoy a tour of the distillery, learning about the process from malting to fermenting and bottling, before sitting down for a tasting. From here make tracks for Wanaka, where there’s free time to check into your accommodation and relax. Before dinner this evening your local host will take you on a short hike up Mt Iron to see the colours of Wanaka at sunset. The view is a truly unforgettable 360-degree view of the Pisa range, Upper Clutha Basin, Lake Wanaka and the Southern Alps/Ka Tiritiri o te Moana. Walk back down to Wanaka at dusk for a local restaurant dinner with your group and host.
Day 2 - Wanaka Start the day with a leisurely breakfast before heading down to the waterfront to take a water taxi across Lake Wanaka to Mou Waho island. Here you’ll discover an island in a lake on an island in a lake on an island (yes you read that right) and take a short hike to a viewpoint. The island has been used for sheep farming and boat building in the past, and its predator-free lands have recently been used in the conservation of the inquisitive buff weka. Look out for the flightless bird and weta, the giant crickets, and maybe take a swim in the lake’s sparkling waters, which soak up the sun’s rays on top and offer a cooling dip underneath. Take the time to relax and breathe it all in, the surroundings, the scenery, the silence, admiring the views while you enjoy lunch on the island. If you can tear yourself away from Mou Waho, you will take the water taxi across the lake back to Wanaka. This afternoon you can stretch your legs and discover #thatwanakatree and take the quintessential picture of you in Wanaka. You can continue your stroll along the Millennium Trail to Waterfall Creek or up to Rippon Winery. Tonight your host will recommend a restaurant for you all to gather. Join in or venture out on your own.
Day 3 - Wanaka Your last day with your local host and group will see you travel to historic Clyde. From there you will ride a short section of the famous Otago Rail Trail to Alexandra. The full trail runs for 152 kilometres in total and was originally used to transport supplies to and from the Gold Fields, then later to transport goods and livestock. It fell into disrepair but was refurbished into a rail trail at the start of the new millennium and is now arguably the best way to explore the area and contribute to the local economy. Hop on a bike for a ride along the trail through Alexandra, leaving the town via the historic bridge and on to Clyde. Cycle through history and stop to see the remnants of Gold-rush times and the landscape created by the sluicing technique for extracting gold. Follow the Clutha for 13 kilometres, across an old wooden trestle bridge and back to Clyde, where you can relax and refuel. Say cheers to your Wanaka retreat with a wine tasting overlooking the Clutha River. Make sure you try the Pinot Noir (that Central Otago Reds is famous for) at this vineyard as it is not to be missed. Say farewell to your local host and group departing in Wanaka or back to Queenstown.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 01 December 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.