Trek the Larapinta Trail
From 10/05/2021 to 01/10/2021
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
May Mon 10 2021 to May Fri 14 2021AvailableFrom$2,304*
May Mon 24 2021 to May Fri 28 2021Sold OutFrom$2,304*
Jun Mon 07 2021 to Jun Fri 11 2021AvailableFrom$2,286*
Jun Mon 21 2021 to Jun Fri 25 2021Sold OutFrom$2,286*
Jul Mon 12 2021 to Jul Fri 16 2021Sold OutFrom$2,286*
Jul Mon 19 2021 to Jul Fri 23 2021Sold OutFrom$2,286*
Aug Mon 09 2021 to Aug Fri 13 2021AvailableFrom$2,286*
Aug Mon 23 2021 to Aug Fri 27 2021AvailableFrom$2,304*
Sep Mon 13 2021 to Sep Fri 17 2021AvailableFrom$2,115*
Sep Mon 27 2021 to Oct Fri 01 2021AvailableFrom$2,138*
Experience the challenges and rewards of an active Australian adventure, with days of hiking and wild swimming, and nights around the campsite fire sharing Outback yarns.
Explore the majestic Ormiston Gorge, the most spectacular chasm in the West MacDonnell Ranges, and maybe cool off in the year-round waterhole.
Enjoy the unique experience of camping out overnight along the trail, making the most of the remoteness and the star-filled desert skies.
Cap your Larapinta Trail experience with a summit of Mt Sonder, the highest point in the West Macs, and the perfect place to look over the landscape and back at : 4.
Lunches Included: 5.
Dinners Included: 4.
Swag Camping (4 Nights).
Age: min 16.
Group Size: 4 - 16.
Day 1 - Alice Springs - Ormiston Gorge Begin this beautiful bushwalking track today by stretching your legs on Section 1 of the Larapinta Trail. We begin our walk from the official start of the trail at the historic Alice Springs Telegraph Station at 7am. The Station was founded in 1871 and used for relaying messages between Darwin and Adelaide. Follow the route of the old telegraph line through the rocky, rolling country that spreads out before you, winding along a path that makes its way over creeks and gullies. Walk along the scenic spine of the Euro Ridge and take in the excellent views of the surrounding Alice Valley, with the gnarled peaks of the West Macs out in the distance. Follow the trail downhill to Wallaby Gap, home to elusive black-footed rock-wallabies and a great place for birdwatching. After this, you’ll be met by your 4x4 vehicle and transferred to your campsite for the night in Ormiston Gorge, right in the heart of the Western MacDonnell Ranges. Sleep beneath countless stars in your swag tonight.
Day 2 - Ormiston Gorge to Finke River Today is your first full day of hiking, beginning at the beautiful Ormiston Pound, home to the most impressive gorge in the whole West MacDonnell region. There’s a near-permanent waterhole shaded by ghost gums and towering red rock walls that is more than welcoming to any walker. The trail weaves its way from Ormiston to the Finke River through rolling limestone hills filled with unique plant life. The Finke is one of the oldest river systems in the world, and the local Arrernte name for this waterway gives the whole trail its name – Lhere Pinte, which means a salty river. You’ll return to your camp in Ormiston Gorge tonight with time to enjoy a welcome, tasty dinner and swap stories around the campfire.
Day 3-4 - Davenport River - Redbank Gorge The next two days are the most challenging but also rewarding section of your Larapinta hike. This trail and its views are dominated by Mt Sonder, the highest point in the West MacDonnell Ranges. It’s an undulating 26 kilometres across spinifex-covered hills, making your way through the foothills towards to the hulking mountain. Cross the Davenport River then make the climb up to Hilltop Lookout, an ascent that’s rewarded with panoramic views of the peak and its surroundings. Descend through mulga woodland and past distinctive knobbly black rock to shady Rocky Bar Gap and along the southern flank of Mt Sonder to Redbank Creek. You’ll have to sacrifice hot showers for the next two nights as you camp out overnight along the trail (with our transport truck meeting us each night), but the incredible scenery is more than worth it. You’ll finish Day 4 at a campsite in Redbank Gorge, in the shadow of the mountain itself.
Day 5 - Mount Sonder - Alice Springs Hopefully, you got an early night yesterday as today you’ll be up with the possums at 1 am for an early start to climb to the summit of the iconic Mt Sonder. The early start allows you to climb in the cool morning air before the sun begins to beat down. The mountain is known traditionally as Rwetyepme – in local Arrernte culture she's portrayed as a pregnant woman forever doomed to lay on her back and watch the sky. It’s not an easy climb, but the journey to the peak is worth the sweeping views in all directions of Central Australia, taking in the trails you’ve covered over the past few days, the Tanami Desert in the north, meteor craters in the south, and the NT’s highest mountain in the west. It’s the perfect way to cap off the trip. Afterward, you’ll make your return to Alice Springs, where you’ll enjoy a well-earned shower and time to rest and maybe celebrate your journey with a farewell dinner.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 17 April 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans