Switzerland and Austria with Oberammergau
From 14/05/2022 to 26/05/2022
Premium Tickets for the Passion Play in OberammergauExplore Salzburg and Vienna with a Local SpecialistDiscover Zurich, Innsbruck and LucerneVisit Vaduz, St.
Moritz, Stresa and ZermattView the Golden Roof and Hofburg Palace in Innsbruck, the Matterhorn and Jungfrau mountains (weather permitting), Chillon Castle, Bern and the Chapel Bridge and Lion Monument in LucerneSee Melk Abbey and the Wachau Valley.
12 breakfasts7 dinners (including Be My Guest)Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeingDaily breakfast and up to half your evening mealsLuxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trustedOptional Experiences and free timeAll porterage and restaurant gratuitiesMust-see sightseeing and surprise extrasAn expert Travel Director and professional DriverAll hotel tips, charges and local taxesHandcrafted Highlights.
Day 1 - Your epic journey to the heart of Europe launches in the sophisticated cultural hotspot of Zurich, whose historic centre and scenic lakeside you will have an opportunity to explore, before meeting your Travel Director and fellow travellers for an orientation of the city's iconic sights and a Welcome Reception.
Day 2 - Embark on a soul-stirring encounter with the valleys and lofty peaks of Liechtenstein, bound for its tiny capital, Vaduz. Continue along the scenic Arlberg route through the Tyrol to your overnight stop in the Baroque city of Salzburg. Here, you will join a Local Specialist for a walking tour that will take you past iconic sights, including the house where Mozart once lived and Domplatz with its imposing Salzburger Dom Cathedral, Residenz Castle and St. Peter's Abbey.
Day 3 - Waltz through the scenic Austrian countryside, past Lake Mondsee and the rolling hills and fortresses of the Wachau Valley. See Melk Abbey overlooking the beautiful Danube, then continue to Vienna. Perhaps spend your first evening in the City of Music on an Optional Experience Viennese dinner with traditional entertainment.
Day 4 - Admire the grand boulevards and beautiful Gothic and Baroque fa?ades on a guided sightseeing tour with a Local Specialist, who will take you to see the State Opera, Hofburg, St. Stephen's Cathedral and Parliament. Immerse yourself in the centuries-old history, before spending free time soaking up the Kaffee culture of the city. This evening, you may wish to embrace the talents of the 'City of Music' and attend a Viennese concert in one of the city's magnificent performance venues.
Day 5 - Travel through the striking Austrian countryside and into Bavarian Germany to the picturesque town of Oberammergau for a Trip Highlight and display of unwavering faith - the Oberammergau Passion Play, which will be performed as it has every ten years since 1634. Dine at your hotel this evening.
Day 6 - Give thanks to God, as the Oberammergau villagers do in their dramatic depiction of the life and death of Jesus Christ. Take your premium seats for a poignant afternoon spent watching the Passion Play, witnessing first-hand the covenant that the villagers made with God in the 17th century to spare them from the ravages of the plague that had decimated their village and resulted in their promise to honour His grace and mercy. Dine at a local restaurant this evening before watching the captivating second half of this performance as night falls.
Day 7 - This morning, we cross the Swiss border and travel through the enchanting landscapes of the Engadine Valley. Arriving in the chic winter sports resort of St. Moritz, we have the afternoon on our own to explore the scenic landscape or perhaps take a mountain pass train ride.
Day 8 - Drive via the Maloja Pass, past Lake Como, to Lake Maggiore. Explore the lakeside town of Stresa, before seeing the Borromean Islands. Then, head towards the Simplon Pass en route to Zermatt, where you will dine at your hotel.
Day 9 - Spend a full free day soaking up Zermatt's crisp mountain air and panoramic vistas. Relax in beautiful surrounds or consider an Optional Experience to the Klein Matterhorn for the most spectacular mountain views.
Day 10 - A drive through the Rh?ne Valley brings you to Lake Geneva, where you'll view Lord Byron's Castle of Chillon. Follow the shores of Lake Geneva round to Montreux, famous for its annual jazz festival. This evening, Connect With Locals over dinner for a Be My Guest experience at a family run winery overlooking Lake Geneva.
Day 11 - Travel via Bern to Interlaken, set in the heart of Switzerland in the shadow of the mighty Jungfrau. Then, cross the Br?nig Pass to lakeside Lucerne, where you'll view the ancient wooden Chapel Bridge suspended over the Reuss and visit the poignant Lion Monument to pay tribute to the brave Swiss Guards who lost their lives defending Louis XVI during the French Revolution.
Day 12 - Snow-capped peaks surround you as you wander through the medieval streets of Lucerne, lined with colourful muralled fa?ades. Spend a full day on your own exploring the Old Town, enjoy a leisurely Swiss lunch or consider an Optional Experience ascending a nearby mountain for panoramic views. This evening, toast to your epic journey during your Farewell Dinner.
Day 13 - We say a fond farewell to Switzerland and our newfound friends at the end of an unforgettable journey. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 21 January 2021 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 16 January 2021 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.