The Ghan Coast to Coast Journey
The accommodationAdelaide 3 nights accommodation at the 4.5-star Majestic Roof Garden Hotel in a Superior Room. The Ghan 2 nights accommodation on-board The Ghan, Gold Service, Twin Cabin from Adelaide to Darwin. Darwin 3 nights accommodation at the 4.5-star self rated Mantra On The Esplanade Darwin in a City Hotel Room. The Ghan Coast to Coast Journey. Day 1 Adelaide
Adelaide is bursting at the seams with culture, events, flavour, and entertainment, with an evolving small-bar scene, world-class art and music. Take a stroll along the tree-lined boulevard, North Terrace, which is home to some of the city's most important cultural institutions. The Art Gallery of South Australia houses some 38,000 works featuring Australian, European, North American and Asian artwork.
Stay 3 nights in Adelaide.Day 2 Adelaide
Today enjoy the Adelaide Central Market Morning Tour. You will be taken on a sensory interactive gourmet experience, giving you an opportunity to try delicious tastings that represent the premium food grown and produced in South Australia. This tour is designed by one of South Australia's noted food experts, Mark Gleeson; with over 30 years experience in the food tourism and hospitality industries, Gleeson's knowledge of South Australia's finest produce market is second to none. Meet some locals, enjoy their hospitality and discover the true South Australia.Day 3 Adelaide to Barossa Valley
Venture off the beaten path with Small Batch to discover hidden-gem wineries on the premium small-group Uncork Barossa wine tour like no other. Your journey takes you north through the agricultural belt, home to the farmers and market gardeners who supply Adelaide's buzzing restaurant scene, as your guide gets to know you and what you'd like to experience on tour.
You will see, taste, smell, and learn for yourself the differences between wine varieties like Shiraz and Tempranillo, and winemaking techniques like oak aging or minimal intervention. Tie this all in with an engaging day discovering the history of the Barossa, visiting any special requests for wineries or foodie destinations (like Maggie Beers Farm Shop), and a stellar lunch at Harvest Kitchen to create for you the most amazing Barossa wine tour around!Day 4 Adelaide to Alice Springs (The Ghan)
Departing Adelaide, what lies ahead is rugged, beautiful and spectacular - through the Red Centre to the tropical north of Australia. Settle into your cabin and watch the rolling pastoral lands of South Australia from your window, or meet your fellow travellers in the lounge car. Before long some of the oldest rock formations in the world, the Flinders Ranges, come into view. As darkness envelops the rugged outback, it's time to indulge in a regionally-inspired dinner and all-inclusive fine wines and beverages.Day 5 Alice Springs to Katherine (The Ghan)
Begin with a freshly brewed coffee or juice as the day dawns at Marla, an outback outpost in the remote reaches of South Australia. It is here, deep inland, that you will enjoy a one of a kind experience, as you watch the desert come to life at sunrise. All aboard for brunch as you make your way through the MacDonnell Ranges to Alice Springs where a choice of Off Train Excursions awaits. Alice is an iconic Red Centre outpost. 1,500 kilometres from the nearest major city, it may be remote, but offers plenty to explore - home to doctors who fly, rivers that run dry, and a cast of colourful characters. Your time in the 'capital out of the outback' offers numerous opportunities to explore its historic legacy and unique environment.Day 6 Katherine to Darwin (The Ghan)
Your day dawns in the tropical north. The pristine wilderness of Katherine is stirring and powerful, and you'll have the chance to explore it from the water or land with your choice of off train experiences. Cruise the jaw-dropping Nitmiluk Gorge, learn more about its ancient Indigenous rock paintings and gain insight into the culture of the traditional owners of Nitmiluk, the Jawoyn people, or discover authentic outback life on a cattle station. As evening falls, arrive in Darwin to complete your epic Australian journey.
Darwin, famed for its markets, festivals, beautiful harbour and spectacular sunsets, is a cosmopolitan city with a warm and tropical outdoor lifestyle. The strong Indigenous culture here is reflected in the array of languages spoken in the city, as well as the art which fills the city's museums and galleries. The close proximity to Asia has also led to strong eastern influences on the energetic food scene and night markets, with the laksa being a firm favourite with the locals.
Stay 3 nights in Darwin.Day 7 Darwin
Today is a free day to explore Darwin. This evening enjoy a dinner cruise aboard the Charles Darwin; a great way to get a birds eye view of the famous Darwin Sunset whilst enjoying a delicious Territory Style Buffet with Australian Seafood and Local produce all in air-conditioned comfort. This two-hour cruise on the Charles Darwin's Captains Deck (main Deck) also includes great commentary and offers the best value for money dinner cruise on Darwin harbour. This Sunset cruise is the perfect way to dine and enjoy the scenery.Day 8 Darwin to Litchfield National Park
Today you will be picked up from your hotel and will head South into the Litchfield National Park. Here you will get to visit the magnificent Florence Falls, Buley Rockhole and Wangi Falls. Weather permitting you can take a swim at each of the Waterfall's adjacent plunge pools. Bushwalking between waterfalls is another option and there will be guided bushwalking throughout the day. After enjoying a freshly prepared picnic lunch enjoy a private group Crocodile Cruise on the Adelaide River with your local wildlife expert. Return back to Darwin in the early evening.Day 9 Darwin
Make your way to the airport or extend your time in Darwin if time permits.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 January 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- This is an Advance purchasefare: Bookings must be made at least 6 months in advance. 100% cancellation fee applies 14 days after booking date. Amendments are allowed up to 45 days prior to departure to purchase another Advance Purchase fare more than 6 months prior to depature.
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels, Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes.
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.