Walk the Bay of Fires
From 12/10/2021 to 04/12/2022
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Oct Tue 12 2021 to Oct Sat 16 2021Sold OutFrom$1,646*
Nov Thu 11 2021 to Nov Mon 15 2021AvailableFrom$2,260*
Nov Fri 26 2021 to Nov Tue 30 2021AvailableFrom$2,195*
Dec Sat 11 2021 to Dec Wed 15 2021AvailableFrom$2,195*
Jan Wed 05 2022 to Jan Sun 09 2022AvailableFrom$2,260*
Jan Fri 21 2022 to Jan Tue 25 2022AvailableFrom$2,260*
Mar Fri 11 2022 to Mar Tue 15 2022AvailableFrom$2,260*
There’s no need for a map or GPS on this walking trip – with an expert local leader that knows the area inside-out, all you have to do is enjoy the journey.
Escape the everyday, get active, and take the time to reconnect with nature in one of Australia’s – and the world’s – most beautiful coastal regions.
The only thing better than the landscapes and wildlife you’ll see are the conversations you’ll have along the way, whether it’s the insights from your leader or stories from the group.
This is the ultimate in low impact, local travel, supporting regional communities and getting right to the heart of the landscape on two feet.
Find a slice of paradise in your own backyard with walks to the red rocks and crystal-clear waters of The Garden, Mt William NP, Eddystone Point and Blue Tier Forest Reserve.
Breakfasts Included: 4.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 2.
Hotel (4 nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Day 1 - St Helens Welcome to your Intrepid walking adventure in the beautiful surrounds of Tasmania. Your trip starts today at 8am with a departure from Launceston, heading east to the bayside town of St Helens, known for its seafood delights just offshore. Shop for some lunch for later, then continue to the Bay of Fires Conservation Area just up the coast and visit the area known as The Gardens. The Gardens lie about halfway between Ansons and Binalong bays and there are boardwalks and lookout platforms across bright white sands, fiery lichen boulders and water clear right to the seabed. Head back down to Binalong Bay to enjoy your picnic lunch, then start today’s walk from Skeleton Point to Dora Point. Follow a trail that meanders from forest to rocky headlands and maybe learn the history behind the colonial name (Indigenous name larapuna) of memorable stretch of coastline. Each headland will reveal how the Bay of Fires is one of the few places that actually lives up to itineraries that call it one of Australia’s greatest natural beauties. After a big first day return to St Helens to relax at your accommodation and enjoy dinner with the group.
Day 2 - St Helens After breakfast this morning, make the drive north to Mt William National Park (approximately 1 hour 15 minutes), which covers the very north east tip of the island. Full of native plants, flowers, and beach-hopping Forester kangaroos, the park is a secluded place where you’re more likely to see an echidna in the heathland than other walkers. Start with an easy summit of Mt William (wukalina) to take in sweeping views from its 216-metre peak. If the weather’s right, you can see as far as the islands of Furneaux Group in the Bass Strait. Make your way back down for a relaxed picnic lunch, then head south to the beaches that are as isolated as they are beautiful. The water’s pretty tempting for a swim at Boulder Point. Then it’s on to the next walk, the Cod Bay to Cobler Rocks Loop, taking in the striking coastline, heathland and a series of long sweeping beaches that make your path back. Return to St Helens (approximately 90 minutes) and enjoy a free evening to rest up or explore the small town.
Day 3 - St Helens It’s back up the coast this morning on your way to Eddystone Point (approximately 1 hour), at the end of which the 100-plus year old lighthouse still lights the night. Today’s loop walk takes in Picnic Point, the white sands of Bay of Fires beach, and Eddystone Point, and takes in all the highlights that this coastline is known for, from endless stretches of empty beach to fiery rocky headlands. Keep an eye out for wallabies and echidnas along the way, and the track is perfect for bird lovers – Pied Oystercatchers, Pacific Seagulls and even Pelicans take to the skies here. Head towards Picnic Point on the inland route and then cross the beach towards Eddystone point, navigating the peninsula before driving to the lighthouse to complete one of the best loop walks along the larapuna coastline. Return to St Helens (approximately 1 hour) for the evening. The town is really getting into the Tassie food scene, so there are a bunch of new eateries that have popped up in recent years to choose from – and don’t forget all the great seafood on offer.
Day 4 - Launceston Say bye to St Helens and drive northwest to Blue Tier Forest Reserve (approximately 1 hour). The area attracted miners back at the end of the 19th century but 100 years later was reclaimed as a conservation area, and the forest of giant trees and hidden waterfalls is once again left to grow wild. Begin with the short Goblin Forest walk, which introduces the area and the stories of mining history and those that worked to restore the region, before taking the Mt Michael Loop (3 kilometres, 2 hours). You’ll make your way through rainforest and relics of mining history and be rewarded with great views across the surrounding area from the summit. From there, head into the lush vegetation of the Halls Falls Loop (1.3 kilometres, 1 hour) to find a picturesque, gurgling falls hidden among the ferns – it’s a great way to finish up your time out in nature. Return to Launceston (approximately 2 hours), stopping along the way at Scottsdale or the charming little town of Derby. Celebrate the end of your trip with a group dinner here in Launceston and share your favourite moments.
Day 5 - Launceston Your trip comes to an end today and you are free to leave after checkout time.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 03 October 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans