New Zealand Expedition Cruise
From 01-Sep-2021 to 30-Sep-2022
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Experiences in 12 destinations.
10 nights aboard the MS Caledonian Sky with excursions on Zodiac vessels.
Overnight stay in Queenstown.
Locally inspired dining – a total of 30 meals and a wide range of onboard beverages.
Services of an APT Expedition Leader and Team.
Enjoy wine tastings and vineyard visits in Napier and Gisborne.
Immerse yourself in the remote landscapes of Ulva and Stewart islands.
Cruise the entire length of Milford Sound, and explore Dusky and Doubtful sounds.
Day 1 - Arrive Auckland, Embark Ship You will be met on arrival in Auckland and transferred to your ship. Meet your captain and crew at tonight’s welcome reception and dinner.
Day 2 - Tauranga, Rotorua We arrive at Tauranga and drive to Rotorua. From explosive geysers to bubbling mud pools and steaming natural hot springs, Rotorua is a major highlight when visiting New Zealand. Enjoy a traditional Maori welcome ceremony and lunch before returning to Tauranga for some free time to explore.
Day 3 - Gisborne Captain James Cook named Gisborne in honour of one of his crew who first sighted land in 1769. Today, we find a sunny coastal town rich in Maori heritage and culture. Gisborne is also known as the chardonnay capital of New Zealand, and you’ll get to visit two of the local boutique vineyards.
Day 4 - Napier Dock at Napier and enjoy a guided tour of this beautiful Art Deco town, rebuilt after the devastating Hawkes Bay earthquake in 1931. Since we are in New Zealand’s second-largest wine producing region, today’s touring includes a visit to a vineyard for a wine tasting. Spend a free afternoon exploring at leisure, or join a tour to Cape Kidnappers to see the world’s largest nesting colony of gannets (own expense).
Day 5 - Wellington With your ship anchored close to the city centre, step ashore for a guided walk through Wellington. See St Paul’s Cathedral and the parliament buildings, then stroll through the Botanical Gardens. Also pay a visit to the Te Papa National Museum of New Zealand.
Day 6 - Kaikoura On a whale-watching cruise, look for sperm whales and orcas which frequent the waters of Kaikoura. In the afternoon, enjoy a leisurely wander through town or take on one of the many guided walks on offer.
Day 7 - Akaroa Spend a full day in Akaroa on your chosen experience. Head out on the water during a dolphin-watching trip or take a guided walk through the town and native bush.
Day 8 - Dunedin Be guided around the city of Dunedin and walk through the beautiful Botanical gardens. Perhaps join a drive to the Otago Peninsula including a visit to the Penguin Place, where you’ll learn about the conservation efforts to protect rare yellow-eyed penguins.
Day 9 - Stewart Island, Ulva Island Land at Oban on Stewart Island, where you’ll get to wander through the shops and see the Rakiura Museum. Alternatively, drive to explore some of the island’s most beautiful locations, including Observation Rock, with views over Iona and Ulva islands, as well as the beaches lining the east coast. After lunch, head for Ulva Island. A renowned wildlife sanctuary, here you can choose from a number of guided walks with our local guides.
Day 10 - Doubtful Sound, Dusky Sound A full day dedicated to the incredible wilderness of Fiordland National Park. Only accessible by sea, it is one of the most remote and most beautiful regions of New Zealand. While our exact route is weather dependent, we hope to visit Astronomers Point, Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound. We’ll make use of Zodiacs to reach remote landing sites and to explore deeper into the fiords.
Day 11 - Milford Sound, Disembark Ship, Queenstown Witness the staggering beauty of Milford Sound as our ship glides serenely through this magnificent fiord. Also known by its Maori name, Piopiotahi, this is one of New Zealand’s most treasured natural landmarks. Our journey ends at the head of the fjord, where we’ll disembark to waiting coaches and transfer to our hotel in Queenstown. Tonight, you have free time to explore Queenstown and try one of the many great restaurants within walking distance of your accommodation.
Day 12 - Depart Queenstown After breakfast, transfer to the airport for your onward flight.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 21 April 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans