Splendours of Japan
From 16/10/2022 to 24/04/2023
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Oct Sun 16 2022 to Oct Mon 24 2022Sold OutFrom$7,350*
Oct Sun 30 2022 to Nov Mon 07 2022Sold OutFrom$7,350*
Jan Sun 08 2023 to Jan Mon 16 2023AvailableFrom$6,925*
Feb Sun 05 2023 to Feb Mon 13 2023AvailableFrom$6,925*
Mar Sun 05 2023 to Mar Mon 13 2023AvailableFrom$7,275*
Mar Sun 12 2023 to Mar Mon 20 2023AvailableFrom$7,350*
Mar Sun 19 2023 to Mar Mon 27 2023AvailableFrom$7,350*
Mar Sun 26 2023 to Apr Mon 03 2023AvailableFrom$7,350*
Apr Sun 02 2023 to Apr Mon 10 2023AvailableFrom$7,495*
Apr Wed 05 2023 to Apr Thu 13 2023AvailableFrom$7,495*
Apr Sun 09 2023 to Apr Mon 17 2023AvailableFrom$7,495*
Apr Sun 16 2023 to Apr Mon 24 2023AvailableFrom$7,495*
3 lunches (including Connect with Locals).
First class travel Highlights.
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals.
Luxury air-conditioned coach or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and separate Driver.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday.
Day 1 - KONNICHIWA TOKYO (2 NIGHTS) Your in-depth exploration of Japan begins in Tokyo. On arrival at Narita or Haneda Airport, take a shuttle bus transfer to your centrally located hotel, where you'll join your Travel Director and fellow guests for a Welcome Reception drink and local appetisers.
Day 2 - EXPLORE VIBRANT TOKYO We launch our City Tour in the old-time entertainment centre of Asakusa, where we'll encounter the Sensoji Buddhist Temple. One of Tokyo's most colourful and popular temples, Sensoji has been rebuilt countless times since it was founded in 628, making it Tokyo's oldest temple site. Strolling down Nakamise next, we immerse ourselves in the sights and sounds of shitamachi (downtown Tokyo), admiring the wooden dolls, colourful chiyogami (origami paper) and traditional Japanese sweets. We'll ascend Tokyo Skytree, the world's highest free-standing broadcasting tower for panoramic views of the city, then enjoy the rest of the day at leisure or on an Optional Experience where a professional stylist will dress you in a traditional Japanese kimono.
Day 3 - OFF TO THE FIVE LAKES DISTRICT Our first stop today is the Imperial Palace Plaza from where the two bridges that form the entrance to the inner grounds of the Imperial Palace can be viewed. We'll have the opportunity to explore the leafy Imperial Palace East Gardens before continuing our City Tour. At the Edo-Tokyo Museum, we delve into the history and culture of Tokyo's Edo era, then continue to the Ginza district where we'll learn how to make sushi with a 'Local Specialist'. We venture to the Five Lakes District next, keeping a keen eye out for the UNESCO listed Mt. Fuji which dominates the landscape.
Day 4 - MAJESTIC MT. FUJI AND TIMELESS TAKAYAMA Visit Oshino Hakkai, a small rural village in the Fuji Five Lakes district, renowned for eight natural spring water ponds that are fed by melted snow from Mt. Fuji. Admire the reflections of the sky and landscapes in its clear waters, then ascend Mt. Fuji by road to 2,300 metres at the 5th station. Ride up Mt. Tenjo on the Kachikachiyama Ropeway next, for jaw-dropping views (weather permitting) of Mt. Fuji and Lake Kawaguchiko. Then, journey through the Japanese Alps to the beautiful hillside town of Takayama, before enjoying dinner at the hotel.
Day 5 - EXPERIENCE GOKAYAMA AND ON TO KANAZAWA (2 NIGHTS) Immerse yourself in tradition as you walk through the Edo-style streets of Takayama's Old Town. Indulge a lunch of Japanese Hida-gyu - beef from a black-haired Japanese cattle breed, renowned as one of the finest quality varieties of beef. Journey back in time this afternoon during a visit to the peaceful UNESCO-listed Gokayama, a mountain village set amidst five valleys. Admire the unique construction of the local Gassho-zukuri wooden houses that have been built without the use of nails with steeply sloped thatched roofs to prevent snow from building up on them. Next, meet a local family in one of these houses, then Dive Into Culture observing local artisans making washi paper and trying your hand at making your own. Make a difference to the sustainability of this small business during this MAKE TRAVEL MATTER(R) Experience. Stay overnight in Kanazawa.
Day 6 - TRADTIONAL KANAZAWA Join a 'Local Specialist' this morning to learn the secrets of painting gold leaf, a delicate craft the Japanese have been perfecting since the 16th century. Continue to the tranquil gardens of Kenrokuen, which took shape over a hundred years to emerge as one of Japan's most beautiful gardens. Connecting with your exquisite natural surrounds, you'll stroll through ornate landscapes and past ponds and temples. Take a short walk through the Omicho market next to see the local fish catch and enjoy an insider's view of everyday life in a busy coastal town. Then, visit the Nagamachi District with its beautifully preserved samurai houses that line the traditional stone streets. Here you will gain first-hand insights into samurai life during a visit to the Nomura house, an elegant samurai mansion.
Day 7 - ONWARDS TO KYOTO (2 NIGHTS) We board an Express train this morning to Kyoto, where we'll 'Connect With Locals' at a traditional ryokan, built in 1932 to serve as the second residence of Emperor Akihito's uncle. We'll enjoy a 'Be My Guest' lunch and learn about local Japanese customs as our hosts welcome us into their beautiful home. After lunch, we visit the UNESCO-listed Kinkakuji Temple with its famous Kinkaku (Golden Pavilion), the proud symbol of Kyoto and a Zen temple, which has its origins as a 14th century villa.
Day 8 - DISCOVER ENCHANTING KYOTO The blazing orange torii gates of Fushimi Inari Shrine guide our path through the forest, up into the mountains and to a sacred site that has heard prayers for prosperity and happiness since the 8th century. We continue to Sanjusangen-do Hall and admire the minute detail of each of its 1,001 "thousand-handed" goddesses of mercy statues, then enjoy a walking tour of the Gion area. This evening, we indulge in a Farewell Dinner with your Travel Director and fellow guests.
Day 9 - SAYONARA JAPAN Our encounter with Japan's age-old traditions and modern cityscapes at its end, we take a transfer by airport shuttle service to Kansai International Airport or Osaka Itami Airport for our onward flight. Alternatively, continue to Hiroshima by choosing the 13 day itinerary. Sightseeing Highlights CITY TOUR of Tokyo and Kyoto SEE the traditional Gassho-zukuri houses in Gokayama, the beautiful gardens of Kenrokuen in Kanazawa VIEW Mt. Fuji VISIT the Sensoji Temple, the Skytree Observation Tower, the Edo Tokyo Museumin Tokyo, Mt. Fuji 5th Station, the Kinkakuji Temple, Fushimi Inari Shrine and Sanjusangen-do Hall in Kyoto CONNECT WITH LOCALS A kaiseki lunch at a traditional Japanese ryokan home near Kyoto where you will learn about local customs. (Day 7) DIVE INTO CULTURE Sample Japanese sake during a walking tour in the Edo-style streets of Takayama Old Town. (Day 5) Learn how local artisans make Japanese washi paper in the UNESCO village of Gokayama. (Day 5) LOCAL SPECIALIST Sushi making in Tokyo. (Day 3) Gold Leaf painting in Kanazawa. (Day 6) MAKE A DIFFERENCE Help support a local business with a visit to a washi paper workshop. You'll watch the family at work, and test your paper-making skills for yourself. (Day 5)
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 10 July 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans