Top End Natures Way, Road Trip
The accommodationDay 1 to 3 Darwin
Darwin, famed for its markets, festivals, beautiful harbour, and spectacular sunsets, is a cosmopolitan city with a warm and tropical outdoor lifestyle. The strong Indigenous culture here is reflected in the array of languages spoken in the city, as well as the art which fills the city's museums and galleries. The proximity to Asia has also led to strong eastern influences on the energetic food scene and night markets, with the laksa being a firm favourite with the locals. The Mindil Beach Sunset Markets, from April to October, held every Thursday and Sunday have over 60 international food stalls and live music, and the Parap Village Markets are held year round every Saturday morning, offers a selection of Asian-inspired street food. For a birds-eye view of the famous Darwin sunset, why not add the popular Charles Darwin Sunset Buffet Cruise, while enjoying a delicious Territory-style buffet with Australian seafood and local produce, all in air-conditioned comfort.
A trip to Darwin wouldn't be complete with a visit to Litchfield National Park with its crystal-clear waterholes. You can either self-drive or book an escorted tour. It is approximately an hour and half drive to the national park, and if you are making the drive yourself, pack a picnic to take with you, and spend the day relaxing by the waterholes, take a dip to cool-off, or take a short stroll up to the Tolmer Falls or Florence Falls viewing platforms.
Stay in Darwin for 3 nightsDay 4 to 5 Darwin - Kakadu National Park 151km
Depart Darwin and drive to the northern entry of Kakadu, stopping at the Bowali Visitor Centre in Jabiru, to check for possible road closures or inclement weather conditions. Note, a park pass is required to enter Kakadu National Park, which can be purchased online before you leave home.
Kakadu National Park is one of the Northern Territory's true treasures. Inhabited by the Bininj/Mungguy people, and spread over 20,000km2, marvel at the natural beauty and wildlife of this unique landscape. View the prolific ancient rock art sites, such as Ubirr or the World Heritage-listed Nourlangie Rock. Visit the natural rock pools and waterfalls, such as the Gunlom Pools, Maguk, and Jim Jim Falls. A great way to get acquainted with Kakadus most famous wetland is the Yellow Water Cruise, where you can spot wildlife, including crocodiles, wild horses, and jabiru, at the Yellow Water Billabong in Cooinda. Visit the Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre, to learn about the Aboriginal culture in Kakadu. Stop into the Barra Bar & Bistro at the Cooinda Lodge, to sample local bush cuisine with Kangaroo, barramundi, buffalo, and crocodile on the menu, along with a cold beer.
Stay in Kakadu for 2 nightsDay 6 to 7 Kakadu National Park - Katherine 152km
Travel to Katherine, a diverse area boasting rich Indigenous art and craft, dramatic gorges, thermal springs, and misty waterfalls. Visit the largest classroom in the world at Katherine School of the Air. Explore the Nitmiluk National Park, a vast sandstone country, that is home to 13 gorges, carved by time through the ancient landscape. Stop at Nitmiluk Visitor Centre to learn about the significance of this region to the traditional owners, and the best way to appreciate it is on a Nit Nit Dreaming 2 Gorge cruise as you journey through the magnificent Nitmiluk Gorge. For an unforgettable Outback Aussie experience, Marskes Stockmans Camp Tucker Night, is a seasonal outdoor restaurant, serving delicious bush tucker, as you listen to entertaining stories.
Stay in Katherine for 2 nights
Day 8 Katherine - Darwin 317km
Make an early start as you make way back to Darwin and return your car hire before your flight.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 July 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Advertised Price is based on the lowest room category, unless specified. A search for availability will return the suppliers current live price on the lowest room category available on your search date. Should the lowest room not be available, the next room type will return. This may be different from the Advertised Price if it has been varied by the supplier since being advertised by Flight Centre.
- ^Flexible Terms & Conditions: Applies to selected products only & excludes instant purchase & non-refundable products. Please ask your consultant for details at time of booking. A refundable deposit of $55 per person is required to secure your booking. Final payment is due 30 days prior to travel, unless travelling within 30 days of booking. Changes & cancellations made 7 days or more prior to travel will not incur fees. Changes are subject to availability & may incur additional costs due to changes in seasonality, pricing & applicable surcharges. Any additional cost associated with changing will remain the responsibility of the customer. Original booking may contain bonus inclusions which are no longer available. In this instance, you will be offered a credit of your payment less any applicable supplier fees. In the instance that flights are added, the booking becomes non-refundable & change fees will apply. Changes & cancellations made within the applicable cancellation period will be subject to Flight Centre's Change & Cancellation policy which can be found at www.flightcentre.com.au.In the event there is any inconsistency between these terms and conditions and our booking terms and conditions https://www.flightcentre.com.au/booking-terms-condition, these terms and conditions will apply.
- Please be aware that during these evolving times of the COVID-19 pandemic all Hotels,Resorts and Tours advertised will be subject to availability and re-opening schedule changes.
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply.
- Please enquire for further details.
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.