Walk the Atherton Tablelands
From 24/10/2021 to 05/12/2021
With an experienced and knowledgeable local leader at the helm, you’ll be introduced to a side of the Atherton Tablelands few get to see, from local legends to unique insight into the region’s flora and fauna.
Explore the bush on foot with a delightful team of pack donkeys, led by an expert guide who will ensure they’re just as well looked after as you are.
Your donkey travel buddies not only provide great company, but also allow the group access to trails that can’t be reached by vehicles, so you can get off the beaten track – literally.
Venture along the fascinating Peterson Creek Walking Track in search of diverse plant life, platypuses and rare tree kangaroos.
Discover Lake Eacham and the surrounding Crater Lakes National Park, take a dip in crystal clear waters and explore walking trails that weave through rainforest.
Breakfasts Included: 3.
Lunches Included: 3.
Dinners Included: 1.
Hotel (4 Nights).
Age: min 15.
Group Size: 1 - 12.
Lake Eacham - Campfire Dinner.
Yungaburra - Group Lunch.
Lake Eacham - Group Lunch.
Malanda Falls - Group Lunch.
Day 1 - Cairns Welcome to northern Queensland! Your adventure begins in Cairns, your gateway to the Atherton Tablelands. You’re free to check in to your accommodation from the early afternoon and, if you arrive with time to spare, you may like to check out the colourful array of tropical plants at the Cairns Botanic Gardens or get a feel for the city with a stroll along the esplanade. This evening is free for you to rest your legs before the upcoming walks, or to get to know the city a bit better with a drink and dinner in town.
Day 2 - Yungaburra Meet the group in the accommodation lobby at 7:15am this morning as you leave Cairns in the rear-view mirror and hit the Gillies Highway, one of Queensland’s best scenic drives. Make a pit stop in Little Mulgrave for refreshments then make tracks for Yungaburra, a charming rural town bursting with history and heritage sites. On arrival, meet you leader for your official welcome meeting and pre-trek briefing, where you’ll be issued with your pack bags and be introduced to some of the best travel buddies you’ll ever have – an endearing team of pack donkeys. These four-legged trekkers are well-loved and looked after and trained in carrying bags across all sorts of terrains, allowing you access to parts of the Atherton Tablelands that can’t be accessed by vehicles, while also providing excellent company along the way! The donkeys will be led by an expert guide who will make sure they’re having as good a time as you are. Then it’s time to set out along the Peterson Creek Walking Track – if you’re really lucky you may even see platypus or Lumholtz tree-kangaroos. For a taste of local culture this evening you may like to get together for dinner and drinks Yungaburra’s iconic pub.
Day 3 - Lake Eacham Get your donkey friends saddled up this morning before walking from Yungaburra to Lake Eacham. Here you’ll take some time out to enjoy the lake and the surrounding Crater Lakes National Park. Perhaps take a refreshing dip in Lake Eacham’s clear blue waters, or head into the park to explore a series of walking tracks shaded by lush rainforest. Retire to your accommodation for the evening and sit down for drinks around the campfire followed by dinner.
Day 4 - Malanda Falls After breakfast this morning, set off for a walk along a network of country lanes and through diverse rainforest before eventually arriving at the Peeramon Hotel where you’ll sit down for a well-deserved lunch and soak in spectacular views of the Tablelands. After lunch, trek downhill towards the Malanda Hotel, and if time permits, continue to the Malanda Falls and swimming pool. Built in 1906, this heritage-listed swimming pool is surrounded by beautiful rainforest and the perfect spot to cool down after a long day of walking. If you’re not in the mood for a swim, you may prefer to explore the surrounding Malanda Falls Environment Park in search of tree kangaroos. Return to the Malanda Hotel and enjoy a classic Australian dinner in the grand dining room.
Day 5 - Cairns Wake up for a final fireside breakfast, bid farewell to your donkey friends then begin the journey back to Cairns, stopping en route in the scenic little mountain village of Kuranda. Your adventure will come to an end upon your arrival in Cairns.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 September 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans