Delve Deep: Intro to Japan
Departure dates & prices
Apr Sun 03 2022 to Apr Sat 09 2022
Apr Sun 10 2022 to Apr Sat 16 2022
May Sun 08 2022 to May Sat 14 2022
Jun Sun 05 2022 to Jun Sat 11 2022
Jul Sun 03 2022 to Jul Sat 09 2022
Jul Sun 31 2022 to Aug Sat 06 2022
Sep Sun 04 2022 to Sep Sat 10 2022
Day 1 - Tokyo, Japan
Seven days. Three legendary cities. And all the ancient temples, glittering skyscrapers, quirky neighbourhoods and local eats you can handle. Ready to experience this jaw-dropping country properly? You’re in exactly the right place. First: say konnichiwa to your fellow explorers. Then: prepare for your first taste of Japan – we’ve got a group dinner in the traditional Asakusa district lined up. Yep, you’re really here.
Day 2 - Tokyo
Rise and shrine! We’re off to check out Meiji Jingu this morning – Tokyo’s grandest Shinto shrine. Take in all the spiritual vibes, make an offering and wander the blooming (or not) gardens. Next, we’re heading to the uber-kooky Harajuku district (aka cosplay heaven) with our in-the-know Trip Leader. Expect: neon tutus, rainbow-coloured wigs, bubble tea and fairy floss. We’ll also swing by the iconic Shibuya Crossing to watch the Mario Karts zoom past. It’s all the crazy. And this afternoon? Add ‘sushi-making-ninja' to your LinkedIn profile after learning from the pros at an optional sushi lesson. Non-sushi-lovers should check out Omoide Yokocho (aka Piss Alley – we know, stay with us). Despite the unfortunate name, this tiny narrow street is lined with all the best izakaya restaurants. Pull up a pew with the locals, order a yakitori grill and dig in. Then: thought you could come to Japan and not get involved in some K-A-R-A-OKE? Think again! Gather the gang and bust out some bangers at tonight’s included karaoke bar experience.
Day 3 - Tokyo
This is your day, 100% your way. But if you need some recommendations, we’ve got your back. Get the low-down on East Tokyo with an optional cycling tour. Pedal past the district’s awe-inspiring shrines and temples, uncover the local sake bars and hip art galleries, and get inside scoop on those hidden gems with a local guide. Ready to plunge into a world of manga and anime? Put on your Sailor Moon outfit and explore Tokyo’s famous Akihabara district on an optional tour. Or if the snow-topped peaks and gleaming lakes of Mt Fuji sound more like you, there’s a day trip to the Fuji Five Lakes region on the cards too. Later, you can wander the futuristic neon-lit streets of Shibuya or join an optional tour of the buzzing Shinjuku district. With heaps of restaurants, bars and blaring dance joints, this is where the locals go to party.
Day 4 - Tokyo to Kyoto
Up and at ‘em: it’s an early start to get the Shinkansen (bullet train FYI) to Kyoto. Home to over 2,000 temples and shrines this place ticks all the spiritual boxes. After lunch, we’ll visit the incredible Fushimi Inari Shrine – with plenty of time to hike to the top and explore the torii gates. Then the afternoon is yours. If you want, spend the rest of the day dressed up as a geisha or samurai (we told you it would get weird). Tonight, we’ll regroup for an included dinner – another chance to show off your chopstick skills. Or not.
Day 5 - Kyoto
Time to explore this place with our expert Trip Leader. We’ll tick off the Kinkaku-ji Golden Pavilion before moving on to Arashiyama to visit the Tenryu-ji Temple. Grab a bite to eat then head out to explore the sprawling bamboo forest and Togetsu-kyo bridge. Then, the rest is up to you. Lose yourself, find yourself, then grab a biru at a local watering hole. And for dinner tonight, head to Nishiki Warai for seriously good yakisoba and okonomiyaki *wipes drool from chin*.
Day 6 - Kyoto to Osaka
Just when you thought your jeans couldn’t get any tighter – today we’re headed for Osaka: the foodie capital of Japan. Here, they even have a word for “scoff till you drop”: kuidaore. Down your cup of matcha – we’ve got an intro tour to the city starting with the majestic Osaka Castle and the Umeda Sky Building. SD cards full of EPIC views over the city – the rest of the afternoon is yours for the taking. History buff? There are plenty of temples and an awesome castle to explore. Or hunt down Ichiran Ramen for a unique lunch experience. Whatever you get up to, just make sure you’re back in time for tonight’s included dinner. Later: make the most of your last night with the gang and head to the buzzing Uranamba district for micro bars, plenty of sake and round two of a slightly-out-of-tune battle of the ballads. The Drunken Clam karaoke bar is where it’s at.
Day 7 - Osaka
Time to say sayonara to the Land of the Rising Sun. Swap those Insta handles – you’re going to need them to organise next year’s reunion trip. What’s next? We've got Delve Deep trips to Southeast Asia which you can hop straight on. Just saying...
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 September 2021 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.