Highlights of Turkey
From 23/09/2022 to 23/10/2022
1 Welcome Reception.
1 Be My Guest.
1 Farewell Dinner.
First class travel Highlights.
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver.
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Ferry across the Dardanelles from Eceabat to Canakkale.
Flight from Cappadocia to Istanbul.
Optional Experiences and free time.
Day 1 - Welcome to Istanbul Meet at the crossroads of East and West - the effervescent capital of Istanbul launches your journey of discovery through centuries of turmoil and triumph. Spend the day exploring after being transferred to your hotel. Later, you'll meet your Travel Director and travel companions for a memorable Welcome Reception.
Day 2 - Discover Colourful Istanbul Delve into the treasures of the Ottoman Empire, strolling through the exquisite Topkapi Palace with its spellbinding views of the Bosphorus. We explore Hagia Sophia, once one of the greatest churches in all of Christendom, before following in the footsteps of the faithful for a visit to the Blue Mosque - its six minarets and beautiful blue Iznik tiles are a sight to behold. Dive Into Culture as you haggle for souvenirs at Istanbul's Grand Bazaar, one of the largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and over 5,000 shops. Later, we visit the Byzantine Hippodrome to see where thundering chariots once raced to victory. The rest of the day is yours to explore the city.
Day 3 - Journey to Gallipoli and ?anakkale We remember the heroism of the many thousands of men who fought bravely at Gallipoli. We'll see Lone Pine Cemetery and the battlefields that today still hold special significance for the Turkish, Australian and New Zealand nations. Spend a quiet moment commemorating the lives lost at Anzac Cove and Chunuk Bair, where some of the fiercest fighting took place during World War I. This evening we stay in ?anakkale where tonight we'll dine in our hotel.
Day 4 - Off to Troy, Pergamon and Izmir Visit a land of Trojan legends, an ancient city immortalised by Homer in the stories of King Priamus, Hector, Paris and the beautiful Helen. We admire the archaeological excavations at Troy revealing nine separate periods of settlement and the symbolic replica wooden Trojan horse commemorating the epic war machine constructed by the Greeks to end a lengthy siege. We continue to the ancient kingdom of Pergamon to visit the Asclepion Medical Centre whose staff of entwined snakes remains a symbol of modern medicine today. This afternoon, we Connect With Locals over lunch in the village of Demircidere at a Be My Guest experience. We travel to the broad boulevards of seaside Izmir later, and dine in our hotel this evening.
Day 5 - Admire the Ruins of Ephesus and on to Pamukkale Journey into antiquity and explore the ruins of the ancient Greek city of Ephesus admiring the well-preserved fa?ade of the Library of Celsus and its famous Temple of Artemis. We visit the House of the Virgin Mary, the Temple of Hadrian guarded by Medusa's head, and the Great Theatre, built by the Romans in the 2nd-century and still in use today. Relax and enjoy the blissful thermal pools at your hotel in Pamukkale.
Day 6 - Onwards to Hierapolis and Konya This morning we enjoy a leisurely visit to the ancient ruins of the Holy City of Hierapolis, imagining ancient patrons seeking revival and rest within their limestone-laden thermal springs. Our last stop today is Konya where tonight we dine in our hotel.
Day 7 - Continue to Cappadocia Visit the Mevlana Museum and Mausoleum in Konya, a former dervish lodge of the Mevlevi order, which reveals the origins of Sufism. Continuing your journey to Cappadocia, you'll see a 13th-century caravanserai then Dive Into Culture to learn about the art of pottery making in Avanos. Later, consider joining an Optional Experience to watch the Whirling Dervishes then enjoy a Regional Meal at a local restaurant. Tonight, you'll enjoy an overnight stay at one of Trafalgar's Stays With Stories set alongside the ancient Ortahisar rock castle. Many of the rooms are hewn from the surrounding rock and boast views of Cappadocia's fairy-tale landscapes.
Day 8 - A Day to Explore Spectacular G?reme The whimsical landscapes of Cappadocia take centre stage today as you embark on a full-day excursion that will see you visit the G?reme Open-Air Museum, the Pa?aba?? and Kizil Vadi valleys and underground city of Saratli on the ancient Silk Road. You'll learn about the intricate heritage and art of carpet weaving during a visit to a Turkish carpet emporium before joining your fellow travellers for an included dinner this evening.
Day 9 - Return to Istanbul Take a short flight this morning to Istanbul, where the rest of the day is yours to explore the city your way. Enjoy a sensory explosion at the vibrant Spice Market, take a stroll through the historic Sultanahmet or find a quiet rooftop caf? and admire Istanbul's iconic skyline. You could choose instead to join an optional cruise and sail the waters of the Bosphorus which separate Asia and Europe. Tonight, join your Travel Director and fellow companions for a Farewell Dinner.
Day 10 - Farewell Istanbul We say a fond farewell to Turkey and newfound friends as we prepare to depart to the airport for our flight home. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers. Sightseeing Highlights Explore Istanbul with a Local Specialist Visit the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Byzantine Hippodrome and Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, Anzac Cove and the poignant War Cemeteries at Gallipoli, the Asclepion Medical Centre at Pergamon, the ancient city of Ephesus, the Virgin Mary's House at Ephesus, the Cotton Castle springs at Pamukkale, the ruins of the Roman health spa at Hierapolis, the G?reme Open-Air Museum and the underground city of Saratli View the Wooden Horse at Troy Connect with Locals Meet the most liberated women in Turkey in the village of Demircidere, where you'll learn how to bake traditional bread and taste the local wine at our Be My Guest lunch. Stays with Stories Located alongside the ancient Ortahisar rock castle, many of the rooms at Dilek Kaya Hotel are hewn out of the surrounding rock. Dive into Culture Haggle for souvenirs at Istanbul's Grand Bazaar one of the largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and over 5,000 shops. Dive into Culture Learn about the art of pottery making in Avanos.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 22 August 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans