Back in the USSR - 7 Days
From 2021-05-09 to 2022-10-16
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
May Sun 09 2021 to May Sat 15 2021AvailableFrom$1,995*
Jun Sun 20 2021 to Jun Sat 26 2021AvailableFrom$2,195*
Aug Sun 01 2021 to Aug Sat 07 2021AvailableFrom$1,995*
Aug Sun 29 2021 to Sep Sat 04 2021AvailableFrom$1,995*
Sep Sun 12 2021 to Sep Sat 18 2021AvailableFrom$1,945*
Oct Sun 03 2021 to Oct Sat 09 2021AvailableFrom$1,945*
6 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 1 dinner.
6 nights 4 star hotels.
1 high speed train from Moscow to St Petersburg.
Escorted by an English speaking Russian tour guide.
Guided sightseeing - Moscow and St Petersburg.
Specialist Russian guides at local sights.
Airport arrival transfer on day 1.
Moscow Metro travel card - 6 journeys.
All relevant transfers and transportation.
Day 1 - Moscow Sunday. Welcome to Russia and the start of your holiday! You will be met at the airport in Moscow upon arrival and transferred to your hotel for check-in. This evening at 7pm meet your guide and the rest of the group for dinner at the hotel and an informative welcome meeting. Remainder of the evening at leisure.
Day 2 - Moscow First thing this morning we will hop on the Moscow Metro and make our way to legendary Red Square. As the historical, political and social heart of Moscow, this famous square is home to some of the city’s most recognisable landmarks. Within the Red Square we will find the iconic domes of St Basil’s Cathedral, the imposing red brick walls of the Kremlin and the glitzy Neo-Russian facade of the GUM shopping mall. Highlights of the day include a guided tour inside the grounds of the mighty Kremlin, touring Assumption Cathedral, Ivan the Great Bell Tower and monumental Tsar Bell.
Also in Red Square, housed within a red and black marble building, is Lenin's Mausoleum. If open, you can enter the mausoleum and pay your respects to the famous Russian revolutionary whose embalmed body has lain in state since his death in 1924. The rest of the day is free for you to continue exploring the city or perhaps enjoy some retail therapy.
During our stay in Moscow there will be the chance to join one of our optional evening excursions, such as a traditional Cossack Show and a Moscow by Night coach tour and river cruise. Book and pay locally.
Day 3 - Moscow Today is free for you to spend at leisure in the capital or you can opt to head down into a Soviet Bunker, by purchasing our Inside a Soviet Bunker add-on. Heading 65 metres below ground take a guided tour of this fascinating Underground Cold War Museum - a Stalinist-era Soviet Bunker that up until recently was a top secret symbol of Soviet Power. Hidden beneath an ordinary apartment building in the heart of Moscow, 18 floors below ground level, this mighty 75,000-square-foot facility was constructed covertly in the 1950s, to protect the select few against a US nuclear attack. The site was in operation throughout the 1970s. In the 1990s with the death of communism, this bunker came off the top secret list and is now open to the public. The rest of the day is free to explore.
Day 4 - St Petersburg Moscow - St Petersburg. This morning we take a high speed train to St Petersburg. Upon arrival we embark on a city tour, driving along Nevsky Prospekt, past the museum and university district and Admiralty End, with stops to view the exterior of magnificent St Isaac's Cathedral and The Bronze Horse. After lunch we tour the exquisite Church On Spilled Blood, Peter and Paul Fortress and the beautiful SS Peter and Paul Cathedral, which houses the tombs of the Romanov monarchs.
Spend the evening at leisure. During our time in St Petersburg there will also be the chance to join optional excursions, such as a night at the Russian Ballet, a boat trip along the canals or a visit to the Vodka Museum (book and pay locally).
Day 5 - St Petersburg This morning we head out of the city to explore the beautiful Peterhof Palace located on the Gulf of Finland in the summer or visit Catherine Palace at Tsarskoe Selo in winter (or Pavlosk Palace if Catherine Palace is closed).
Often referred to as Russia’s ‘Versailles’, the gardens of Peterhof Palace are a wonderland of greenery and flowers, sweeping vistas and ornate architectural decorations. The real highlight are the spectacular gold fountains. At Catherine Palace it's the interior of this lavishly decorated building that really catches the eye - and the exquisite Amber room is a real highlight!
Day 6 - St Petersburg The highlight of today is a guided tour of the treasure-filled Hermitage Museum at the Winter Palace, which houses one of the biggest and best art collections on earth.
Later, we visit a fascinating exhibition of a former Soviet era communal apartment. To help ease the burden of Russia's housing problem in the 1920s the government transformed city apartments owned by one person into these communal dwellings with factory workers, military personnel and members of Soviet institutions moving in.
Day 7 - St Petersburg Saturday. Today our tour comes to an end. If you would like to extend your time in Russia, we can book post-tour accommodation upon request.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.