the Snowball - 6 Days
From 2021-12-24 to 2022-12-27
5 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 1 dinner (including a Welcome Dinner on day 1).
1 overnight train from St Petersburg - Moscow in a 4-berth cabin including bed linen.
4 nights 4 star hotels.
Escorted by an English speaking Russian tour guide.
Specialist Russian guides at local sights.
Guided sightseeing - St Petersburg and Moscow.
Airport arrival transfer on day 1.
Moscow Metro travel card - 6 journeys.
All relevant transfers and transportation on tour.
Day 1 - St Petersburg Welcome to Russia and the start of your winter holiday! Upon arrival you will be met at St Petersburg Pulkovo Airport and transferred to your hotel for check-in. This evening meet for an informative welcome meeting and dinner with the rest of your group at the hotel.
Day 2 - St Petersburg St Petersburg is known as the city of the tsars and this morning we head out of city to explore beautiful Catherine Palace at Tsarskoe Selo. At Catherine Palace the exterior and the interior of this lavishly decorated building really catch the eye - particularly the spectacular Amber room.
The rest of the day is free for you to relax and independently explore the city. Most of the city sights are dotted along and just off the main thoroughfare - Nevsky Prospekt. It’s an easy city to find your bearings and get around. St Petersburg has a spirited restaurant, bar and jazz club scene, plus some of Russia’s best beers.
During our time in St Petersburg there will be the chance to book optional evening excursions such a traditional Cossack Show or a night at the Russian Ballet. On Christmas Day there will also be an optional dinner at a local restaurant. All optional excursions are subject to availability, and are booked and payable locally.
Day 3 - St Petersburg St Petersburg - Moscow. This morning we get a wonderful overview of the city as we drive along the famed Nevsky Prospekt, past the museum and university districts and a few photo stops will be made along the way at places such as the magnificent St Isaac's Cathedral and The Bronze Horseman. Then we enjoy a guided tour of impressive Peter & Paul Fortress and the beautiful Peter & Paul Cathedral, which houses the tombs of the Romanov monarchs. We will also visit the exquisite Church on Spilled Blood.
After a hearty lunch we take a guided tour of the Hermitage Museum in the Winter Palace - which houses one of the biggest and best art collections on earth. Then there's free time before we meet back at the hotel at an agreed time to gather our bags and travel to the railway station for our overnight journey by train to Moscow.
Day 4 - Moscow Arriving into Moscow very early this morning we transfer to our hotel. Then we hop on the Moscow Metro and make our way to legendary Red Square for a walking tour. As the historical, political and social heart of Moscow, this famous square is home to some of the city’s most recognisable landmarks. Within the Red Square we will find the iconic domes of St Basil’s Cathedral, the imposing red brick walls of the Kremlin and the glitzy Neo-Russian facade of the GUM shopping mall. Lenin's Mausoleum is also in Red Square, housed within a red and black marble building. If open, we can enter the mausoleum free of charge and pay our respects to the grandfather of Communism whose embalmed body has lain in state here since his death. The rest of the day is free for you to explore more of Moscow.
During our stay in Moscow there will be the chance to join our optional Moscow by Night coach tour (book and pay locally)
Day 5 - Moscow Today we head back to Red Square to visit the Kremlin - Russia’s bastion of political might, where we will enjoy a guided walk through the grounds, seeing numerous government buildings, gold-domed cathedrals and the tsar bell. The rest of the day is free for you to relax or perhaps visit one or two of the city’s plentiful museums. Alternatively we offer an optional guided tour of a formerly top secret Soviet bunker today.
New Year's Eve arrangements: On our 27th December departure the tour of the Kremlin will be in the afternoon of day 4 and day 5 (New Year's Eve) will be free to spend at leisure with our optional Inside a Soviet Bunker add-on in the morning. In the evening we will head into the city to ring in the New Year among the crowds and offer an optional New Year's Eve dinner (book and pay locally).
Day 6 - Moscow Our tour comes to an end after breakfast and hotel check out.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.