Bay of Islands Adventure, 5 Days
Valid for select departures 21 April - 13 December 2022
5 day tour departing Auckland.
3 nights accommodation in Hotels.
1 night accommodation in a Lodge.
2 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch & 1 Dinner.
Transport by Private Vehicle, Boat.
Opononi - Sand Dunes Boat Trip.
Kai Iwi Lakes - Lunch.
Te Ahurea - Te Ahurea Visit.
Rainbow Falls - Rainbow Falls Visit.
Wharepuke - Wharepuke Sculpture Park.
Waiomio - Glow Worm Caves.
Russell - Russell Visit.
Tutukaka - Poor Knights Island Boat Trip.
WAS $2056*, NOW $1851*, SAVE $205*.
Day 1 Auckland. Welcome to New Zealand's North Island Your Bay of Islands adventure begins in Auckland at 8am. Meet up with your local leader and new travel companions then hit the road towards the Kauri Coast, eventually arriving at the Kai Iwi lakes. Take some time to discover the area surrounding these clear freshwater lakes and soak in the views over a picnic lunch, then continue on to the Waipoua Forest. Explore shady trails that weave through towering kauri trees and visit Tane Mahuta, a giant kauri tree believed to be up to 2500 years old. Drive on to the coastal settlement of Opononi then hop aboard a water taxi to the Opononi sand dunes. There's nothing here but water and sand, so sit back and enjoy some peace and quiet, surf the giant sand dunes or take a dip in the ocean. Return to Opononi where you'll spend the night.
Day 2 Paihia. Leave Opononi behind and continue your journey east. First stop off at the mystical Rainbow Falls on the Kerikeri river, then pay a visit to Mission Station, a historic site where Maori first invited visitors to live among the and the oldest house in New Zealand. You'll then take a step back in time during a guided tour at Te Ahurea, a former Maori village which now serves as a site for cultural and historical education, and if time permits, you'll also swing by the Wharepuke Sculpture Park. Arrive in Paihia and enjoy a free afternoon to get to know this charming coastal town and its surrounding areas. You may like to uncover some more of New Zealand's story at the historically significant Waitangi Treaty Grounds, head out on a cruise around the Bay of Islands in search of bottlenose dolphins, or get active on one of the area's many scenic walking or mountain biking tracks. Your leader will be on hand to help arrange activities and can also suggest some great spots for dinner tonight in Paihia.
Day 3 Tutukaka. Rise and shine for another day exploring the gorgeous Bay of Islands. Start the day with a scenic ferry ride to Russell - this tiny town packs a big historical punch and was New Zealand's first ever capital. It was also the site of the country's first European settlement and many historic buildings still stand today. After a morning exploring this fascinating seaside township, begin your drive towards Tutukaka. Stop off along the way in the little town of Kawakawa - this place is famous for its quirky and colourful public toilets designed by Austrian architect Friedensreich Hundertwasser - rest stops don't get much cooler than this You'll also visit the Kawiti Glow Worm Caves to explore a hidden world of unusual rock formations and thousands of luminous creatures. Discovered in the 17th century by the chieftainess of the Maori tribe Ngati Hine, the caves are still run by her direct descendants today. Tonight will be spent in the delightful town of Tutukaka which sits on a truly stunning stretch of coast.
Day 4 Tutukaka. It wouldn't be a trip to the Bay of Islands without visiting some islands Off the shores of the Tutukaka coast you'll find the Poor Knights Islands, a rugged series of islets with a history stretching back 11 million years. Today you'll come face to face with the wild beauty of these islands during a full-day boat trip. You'll have the chance to snorkel, swim, kayak, explore ancient caves and learn about the geological and natural history of the islands. It's not uncommon to spot marine life from the boat, including dolphins, whales, and even orcas if you're really lucky. If you'd prefer to put your feet up today, the boat is kitted out with plenty of seating and viewing areas, plus a "fish cam" so you can see what's going on beneath the surface without leaving the comfort of the boat
Day 5 Auckland. Say goodbye to the Bay of Islands and return to Auckland. If time permits, stop off at New Zealand's first certified B Corp brewery for a delicious and sustainable lunch. You can expect to arrive at around 4pm, at which point your adventure will come to an end.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 May 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply.
- Please enquire for further details.
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans