Queenstown Southern Loop, 6 Days
Valid for select departures 21 April - 13 December 2022
6 day tour departing Queenstown.
4 nights accommodation in Hotels.
1 night accommodation in a Cabin (with shared facilities).
Transport by Private vehicle, Ferry.
Milford Sound - Nature Boat Cruise.
Milford Sound - Leader-led walk to Milford Lookout.
Milford Sound - Walk to Mirror Lakes & Lake Gunn.
The Catlins - Leader-led walk to Nugget Point & McLean Falls.
Stewart Island - Scenic Ferry Crossing.
Stewart Island - Leader-led Dark Sky Briefing & Star Gazing.
WAS $2396*, NOW $2157*, SAVE $239*.
Day 1 Queenstown to Te Anau. Welcome to the South Island Make your own way to the hotel, where the adventure kicks off with a welcome meeting where you'll join up with your leader and group. If you're looking for more time in 'Adventure Capital of the World', look to book in some time after the end of the trip. After the meeting, head to the lovely lakeside town of Te Anau - gateway to Fiordland National Park. Watch the stunning landscapes pass by as you round the bottom of Lake Wakatipu with the aptly named The Remarkables mountains in the background. The 3.5-hour drive will take you to the shores of the South Island's biggest lake, which extends into the fiords and deeply forested mountains.
Day 2 Milford Sound to Te Anau. The stunning, unforgettable sights of the fiords are best experienced by boat, so today you'll set off for a memorable cruise on Milford Sound, known locally as Piopiotahi. Sail along the waters that pour out into the Tasman Sea, and look out for bottlenose dolphins and fur seals at play. Nature feels close here in the silence of the sound as you make your way past countless tumbling, misting cascades, soaring icy peaks, lush rainforest and twisting inlets. Soak up the surrounds so stunning that they feel almost fake, and breathe in the crisp mountain air. Afterwards get a different perspective of the sound, surrounded by native bush, as you take on the lookout track with your leader. There's a bit of a climb, but the views are more than worth it to look down on the water and up at the peaks. The spectacular views keep on coming with a Mirror Lakes walk, where the peaks and greenery reflect in the clear lake waters. Return to Te Anau in time for dinner this evening - maybe seek out some local fare like venison or even lobster for dinner.
Day 3 The Catlins. This morning it's time to swap one side of the island for the other as you make your way to what feels like a forgotten corner of Otago - the Catlins. This untamed coastal wilderness is home to rugged cliffs, dense forest, and some spectacular hidden waterfalls. Explore the Cathedral Caves, only accessible at low tide after a walk through forest down to the beach. The work of water over thousands of years, the impressive sea cave complex reaches up to 200 metres into the cliff and reach heights of over 30 metres inside. Test the aptness of the name by trying out the church-like acoustics. In the afternoon take the time to soak up the sights of pounding surf, windswept beaches and sunbathing sea lions as you stroll the sands with your leader.
Day 4 Stewart Island. Head to the very bottom of the island and take a ferry across the Foveaux Strait to the country's third largest landmass, remote and rugged Stewart Island. It takes about one hour to travel the 30-kilometre strait. The island is almost entirely national park, which makes its unspoiled forests, beaches and bays a haven for hikers of all abilities as well as birdwatchers - it's home to endangered brown kiwi, flightless Stewart Island kiwi and nearly extinct kakapo parrots.i??In the Maori language the island is known as Rakiura, which means 'the land of glowing skies'. So tonight your leader will brief you to find the best nearby vantage point to explore the night sky.
Day 5 Stewart Island. Enjoy a full free day to explore the island as you discover the coast and Rakiura National Park. Optional activities include cruises on the bays and inlets spotting penguins and seabirds and walks along forested coastal tracks past early Maori settlements. Learn about the local flora and fauna, and relax on the beach for a picnic lunch. Take in the views over glistening William Bay and see if you can spot the mountains of the South Island in the distance. Return to your accommodation and enjoy the rest of the evening to relax after your full day of island exploration. Perhaps join the group for dinner at a local restaurant tonight.
Day 6 Stewart Island to Queenstown. Head back over to the mainland, then continue back to Queenstown. Your trip comes to an end today when you arrive back in Queenstown at approximately 2pm. If you have extra time to spend in Queenstown, make sure to get out and take advantage of the numerous adventure activities on offer. The Remarkables and Lake Wakatipu not only serve as spectacular props to get your adrenaline fix, they're also beautiful to look at. The town is also a great base for exploring Central Otago's excellent vineyards and historic mining towns.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 May 2022 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply.
- Please enquire for further details.
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans