Southern Capitals: City Meets Bush
From 05/03/2024 to 09/03/2024
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Mar Tue 05 2024 to Mar Sat 09 2024On RequestFrom$2,610*
Mar Tue 05 2024 to Mar Sat 09 2024On RequestFrom$2,570*
Meet a local grazier at Gold Creek StationHear stories of the Gold Rush era from a passionate local pub owner in BeechworthWatch the penguins and other wildlife at Phillip IslandTake on the famous coastal journey, the Great Ocean Road.
Specialist team of two highly experienced Travel Director and Driver GuideLocal Specialists (Guides)Centrally located premium hotelsArrival and departure private airport transfers.
Day 1 It's hard to believe that just 1.5 hours from Sydney lies a patch of countryside that could have been transplanted straight from the English Cotswolds. This is Berrima, the oldest Georgian village in Australia. Think atmospheric villages amid rolling hills of grape vines - the Southern Highlands is the closest wine region to Australia's largest city, after all. And then there are the grand gardens and emerald farms, one of which you'll visit to meet Craig Starr and his family. Their 400-hectare Gold Creek Station farm is your backdrop for a Be My Guest BBQ lunch and tales about life on the land. This is your start of your Sydney to Melbourne trip, and the entr?e to the country's cool little capital of Canberra, home to Parliament House, where you'll go behind the political scenes, as well as the Australian War Memorial. Hearing the Last Post is a moving experience, and this Canberra guided tour will linger long after you leave the capital.
Day 2 Thanks to architect Walter Burley Griffin, Canberra is an urban planner's delight - the city is that well laid out, as you'll discover when you head to the summit of Mt. Ainslie for panoramic views on a Canberra guided tour. You won't yet be able to see the mighty Murray River, but you'll soon cross it en route to Beechworth. From Australia's longest river to Victoria's best-preserved gold rush town, Beechworth saw an influx of fortune-seekers from all over the world during the 1850s. Your Travel Director will give you the Beechworth lowdown, then set you on your way to further explore character-filled antiques stores, galleries, leafy parks and gardens, and museums at your leisure. There are plenty of charming caf?s and restaurants to refuel in as well, before Wangaratta's cathedrals beckon.
Day 3 Meandering south toward historic Glenrowan, you're well and truly in Ned Kelly country - this is where the infamous bushranger and his gang were finally captured in 1880. The story is remembered on pretty much every city corner, whether in enormous statues or at the town's well-curated museum. We'll tell you all the tales - some of them true, many of them hearsay. All of them entertaining. Then we'll tell you a bit more about Melbourne, like how it's the home of Aussie rules football, covets some of the country's best arts institutions, and has a swag of stellar restaurants, caf?s and bars. Small wonder it's known as Australia's cultural, culinary and sporting capital. Once you have your bearings after a city and Melbourne laneway tour, head off to explore. Forget your map - one of the joys of being in Melbourne is getting lost. Discovering a hidden jazz bar. Stumbling upon a hole-in-the-wall restaurant. Finding a gallery that catches your eye. Spending too much in that independent boutique. Enjoy.
Day 4 You could spend weeks exploring Melbourne and its surrounds and not tire of the attractions. But you just have today, so make the most of it. We wouldn't hold it against you if all you want to do is jump on a tram and ride the rails to the city's character-filled neighbourhoods. Perhaps bohemian Brunswick, or seaside St. Kilda for Polish cakes along Acland Street. But if you want to explore further afield, we've got you covered on an optional experience. For a bird's-eye view of the bay, sign up to scale the Melbourne Skydeck at the Eureka Tower, offering dizzying vistas in every direction from almost 300 metres above the street. If you're an animal lover however, then you'll want to venture to Phillip Island to see hundreds of little penguins waddle up from the sea along the sand en route to their burrows. It's a nightly attraction. The choice is yours.
Day 5 Wait, how did you just pack so much action into a working week? Cities, countryside, farms, wineries, islands... this Sydney to Melbourne trip has been quite the adventure.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 February 2024 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 21 February 2024 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans