ANZAC on the Western Front: Dawn Service
From 22/04/2024 to 28/04/2024
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Attend a poignant ANZAC Day Dawn Service in Villers-Bretonneux.
Delve into the Australian story on the Western Front at the Franco-Australian Museum.
Visit the Wellington Quarries – a network of tunnels dug by the New Zealand Tunnelling Company.
DAY 1 - Lille After meeting the group in Lille, we'll kick off our incredible journey with a welcome dinner. Accommodation: H?tel Couvent des Minimes (or similar)
DAY 2 - Lille - Villers-Bretonneux - Amiens The first day of our tour will take us from Lille to Villers-Bretonneux: home of the National War Memorial and a central location to Australian WWI commemoration and memory. We'll visit the Franco-Australian Museum, a site paying tribute to the brave Australian soldiers who helped to save the town from German advances. After, we'll pay a visit to the Sir John Monash Centre before shifting our focus to the last year of the war - with a visit to Le Hamel, the site of the successful 4 July attack. Then, it's onwards to Amiens - our home for the next three nights. Accommodation: Le Saint Louis Hotel (or similar)
DAY 3 - Amiens - Somme - Amiens The Somme still captivates the soul - and it's here that the ANZACs first saw major action in 1916. Today we'll visit Pozi?res and Mouquet Farm - sites that were especially important for Australian soldiers, as well as Longueval and Flers which were similarly significant to the Kiwis. Before returning to Amiens, we'll take some time to remember the colossal loss experienced by Great Britain - with a visit to the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme. This evening will be ours to spend exploring Amiens or relaxing back at the hotel. Accommodation: Le Saint Louis Hotel (or similar)
DAY 4 - Amiens - ANZAC Day Dawn Service - Amiens We've an early start this morning as we make our way to the ANZAC Day Dawn Service at the Australian War Memorial in Villers-Bretonneux. The memorial commemorates the battle of 24-25 April 1918, during which Australian and Commonwealth Soldiers liberated the town. Buried here are more than 2,100 servicemen of the First World War - including over 770 Australians. Here we'll join locals and meet fellow Australians and New Zealanders who have journeyed here to pay tribute to the brave ANZAC soldiers. The rest of the day will be yours to spend at your leisure. Accommodation: Le Saint Louis Hotel (or similar)
DAY 5 - Amiens - Arras and Fromelles - Ypres Today's first stop? The Wellington Quarries - a network of underground tunnels the New Zealand Tunnelling Company built as part of the preparations for the Battle of Arras. Later, we'll remember Australia's role in this battle at Bullecourt with a stop at the Digger Memorial later this afternoon. Then, we'll move on to Fromelles, the site of the disastrous attack of 19 July 1916. Here, take the time to pay your respects with a poignant visit to Pheasant Wood Cemetery and the incredible exhibition nearby. Tonight, we'll enjoy dinner together and reflect on the day's events. Accommodation: Albion Hotel (or similar)
DAY 6 - Ypres After breakfast, we'll continue to delve into the moving stories of the West Flanders Front with an included visit to the In Flanders Fields Museum - a unique institution that commemorates the four-year trench war and conveys a contemporary message of peace. This afternoon, you'll have some free time to spend as you please in Ypres. A site that was completely destroyed during WWI and rebuilt anew - take the time to visit the town's magnificent cathedral or treat your taste buds to a sampling of Belgian chocolate. This evening we'll reconvene to attend the playing of the Last Post at the iconic Menin Gate. Whilst renovation to the Gate is ongoing, we'll still be able to experience the ceremony that has been performed here daily for almost 100 years. Accommodation: Albion Hotel (or similar)
DAY 7 - Ypres - Lille For our final morning together, we'll visit the shell-scarred Hill 60 and fascinating Hooge Crater Museum before walking in the footsteps of WWI soldiers at the Passchendaele battlefields - where allied forces fought to break the German line in 1917. Before returning to Lille, we'll have the opportunity to pay our respects at Polygon Wood and Tyne Cot Military Cemetery - the site where 11,900 Commonwealth servicemen of WWI are commemorated.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 05 March 2024 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.
Tell us about your travel plans