Tokyo to Takayama - 13 Days
From 2019-10-05 to 2020-11-07
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Oct Sat 05 2019 to Oct Thu 17 2019Limited AvailabilityFrom$8,495*
Nov Sat 02 2019 to Nov Thu 14 2019Sold OutFrom$8,695*
Mar Sat 21 2020 to Apr Thu 02 2020AvailableFrom$7,695*
Apr Sat 04 2020 to Apr Thu 16 2020AvailableFrom$8,495*
Apr Sat 11 2020 to Apr Thu 23 2020AvailableFrom$8,495*
Apr Sat 18 2020 to Apr Thu 30 2020AvailableFrom$8,495*
May Sat 09 2020 to May Thu 21 2020AvailableFrom$7,695*
May Sat 23 2020 to Jun Thu 04 2020AvailableFrom$7,695*
Jun Sat 06 2020 to Jun Thu 18 2020AvailableFrom$7,695*
Jun Sat 27 2020 to Jul Thu 09 2020AvailableFrom$7,695*
Jul Sat 04 2020 to Jul Thu 16 2020AvailableFrom$7,695*
Aug Sat 29 2020 to Sep Thu 10 2020AvailableFrom$7,695*
Sep Sat 05 2020 to Sep Thu 17 2020AvailableFrom$7,695*
7 breakfasts and 1 Japanese dinner at the Lake Kawaguchi ryokan.
12 nights 3 star accommodation (including 1 night at a traditional ryokan (Japanese inn).
Guided sightseeing and walking tours in Tokyo, Kamakura, Lake Kawaguchi, Kyoto, Himeji, Hiroshima, Miyajima Island, Takayama.
Lake Kawaguchi & Mt Fuji - Kachikachi-yama Ropeway and observatory.
For tours staying at Lake Kawaguchi between 14 Apr – 28 May each year we'll visit to the Fuji Shibazakura (Moss Phlox) Festival with Mt Fuji in the distance.
Ferry to Miyajima Island and cable car to the top of Mt Misen.
Escorted by a licensed English speaking Japanese tour guide.
Airport arrival transfer - by train from Narita or Haneda International Airport.
Departure transfer - by train to Narita or Haneda International Airport (unescorted).
All transportation and transfers - buses, trains and rail passes (including Suica swipe Card and Japan Rail Pass).
Baggage forwarding service from Tokyo to Kyoto (one bag per person).
Maximum Group size: 16 persons.
Day 1 - Tokyo Saturday. Welcome to Japan! You will be met at either Narita or Haneda International Airport in Tokyo by your guide. Travel by train into the heart of the city and check into your hotel.
Day 2 - Toyko - Senjoji Temple district, Harajuki & Shibuya Today we explore the capital. First stop is Asakusa which is home to Sensoji, we then head to Harajuku, here we’ll visit the important Meiji Shrine where the emperor Meiji and his wife are enshrined. Spend the remains of the day at leisure.
Day 3 - Kamakura Tokyo - Kamakura - Tokyo. Today we travel by train to Kamakura, where we visit the iconic bronze Big Buddha and the Hokokuji Zen Temple which has a picturesque bamboo garden before returning to Tokyo. Tonight, we organise a Shabu Shubu (a traditional Japanese hot pot meal) for those who are interested.
Day 4 - Tokyo Edo Museum Today offers a guided tour of the Tokyo Edo Museum followed by free time.
Day 5 - Mt Fuji & Lake Kawaguchi Tokyo - Lake Kawaguchi. This morning we travel by highway bus to Lake Kawaguchi, located at the foot of Mt Fuji in the Fuji Hakone Izu National Park. The scenery is stunning with panoramic views of a snow-capped Fuji most of the year. Upon arrival we’ll travel along the Kachikachi-yama Ropeway and visit the observatory. For tours staying at Lake Kawaguchi between 15 Apr – 28 May each year we’ll visit the Springtime Fuji Shibazakura (Phlox Moss) Festival, held at Motosu Lake, where the landscape is covered in a vibrant, hot pink moss with Fuji as the backdrop. Tonight you'll bed down in a traditional Japanese Inn (ryokan). At the ryokan, we'll be served a traditional Japanese dinner and you can take a relaxing dip in the natural hot spring baths.
Note: As of June 2019 the Hakone Ropeway has been temporarily suspended – please see the Trip Notes for further details.
Day 6 - Kyoto Lake Kawaguchi – Kyoto. Hike along the foreshores of the lake before taking a bullet train to Kyoto - home to an abundance of UNESCO World Heritage sites, Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines. Here we enjoy a guided tour of Sanjusagen-do and this evening we head to Gion, for a walking tour of this famous Geisha district.
Day 7 - Kyoto Guided tour of Nijo Castle and Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) Temple and free time.
Day 8 - Himeji Kyoto - Himeji - Hiroshima. We travel by bullet train to Hiroshima today, stopping en route at Himeji to visit the UNESCO Listed Himeji Castle. From Himeji we take the bullet train to Hiroshima.
Day 9 - Miyajima Located off the coast of Hiroshima is Miyajima Island, one of Japan's most picturesque destinations with UNESCO Listed primeval forests. Today we visiting the island and seeing the iconic 'floating' Torii Gate at the revered Itsukushima-jinja Shrine. We soak up the incredible views on a cable car ride and have free time to explore the island. Note: From June 2019 the floating Torii Gate is undergoing renovations – please see the Trip Notes for further details.
Day 10 - Hiroshima Hiroshima - Takayama. Two atomic bombs were dropped and Hiroshima was the first place to be hit. We visit The Peace Park and museum, a poignant reminder of Hiroshima’s tragic past. We’ll see the iconic Atomic Dome, one of the very few buildings left standing and visit the memorial to the children killed. This afternoon we board our train to Nagoya, followed by another scenic train journey to Takayama.
Day 11 - Takayama Takayama in the heart of the Hida Mountains is famous throughout Japan for its beautifully preserved old-quarter, temples and shrines. This morning we explore Takayama’s old quarter, where you can wander around the shops and visit a sake distillery to sample the town’s famous and potent sake. This afternoon is at leisure.
Day 12 - Tokyo Takayama – Tokyo. After embarking on the Higashiyama walk we take the train back down the mountains to Nagoya to catch the bullet train to Tokyo.
Day 13 - Tokyo Thursday. Our tour comes to an end today. Travel (unescorted) back to Narita International Airport on board the Narita Express train.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 September 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..