New Zealand Rail Adventure
From 01-Oct-2020 to 30-Sep-2021
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Nov Tue 10 2020 to Nov Tue 24 2020Sold Out
Dec Tue 01 2020 to Dec Tue 15 2020Sold Out
Jan Tue 19 2021 to Feb Tue 02 2021AvailableFrom$6,095*
Feb Tue 16 2021 to Mar Tue 02 2021AvailableFrom$6,095*
Mar Tue 09 2021 to Mar Tue 23 2021AvailableFrom$6,095*
Sep Tue 14 2021 to Sep Tue 28 2021AvailableFrom$5,795*
Oct Tue 12 2021 to Oct Tue 26 2021Available
Enjoy a cruise that explores the picturesque and pristine Milford Sound fiord.
Take a rail cart along a decommissioned railway line for a self-drive rail cruising experience past charming towns.
Sit back and relax on the Coastal Pacific train as you journey through the rugged east coast.
Immersive Insider Experiences.
14 Breakfasts and 9 Dinners.
Travelmarvel Tour Director, plus local guides in select locations.
Overseas transfers & luggage porterage.
Day 1 - Arrive Auckland Be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel. Tonight, enjoy a Welcome Dinner.
Day 2 - Auckland, Glenbrook Vintage Steam Train Travel to Glenbrook and board the Glenbrook Vintage Steam Train. This iconic locomotive will take you on a journey through the Franklin countryside before stopping at the Pukeoware Depot. Reboard the train and travel back to Glenbrook, before returning to Auckland by coach.
Day 3 - Auckland, Rail Cruise Experience, Rotorua After breakfast, board your coach and head towards the Mamaku Ranges near Rotorua. Later in Rotorua, pay a visit to Te Puia, where a tour of the Māori Arts and Crafts Institute will reveal the region’s heritage and customs. You will also see the Whakarewarewa Thermal Valley and witness the natural erupting geysers and bubbling mud pools.
Day 4 - Rotorua Rotorua captures the essence of New Zealand with its geothermal geysers, fascinating Māori culture and rich heritage. Your sightseeing here continues today with a visit to one of New Zealand’s best-loved attractions, the Agrodome, with its entertaining sheep shearing demonstration, dog trials and animal nursery. The afternoon has been left free for you to discover the region independently. Voted New Zealand’s most beautiful city six times, Rotorua is filled with fascinating attractions and surrounded by natural wonders, so you won’t find it difficult to fill your time. The city is situated beside the sparkling blue waters of Lake Rotorua, so you may like to take a stroll through the vibrant streets down to the foreshore, or take a dip in the mineral hot springs for a relaxing end to the day.
Day 5 - Rotorua, The Northern Explorer Train, Wellington This morning, enjoy a special rail experience. You’ll pass a variety of different landscapes including rolling green countryside and the captivating volcanic plateau within Tongariro National Park. You’ll see quaint country towns and marvel at three snow-capped volcanic peaks jutting out of thick beech forests. Continue through to the small town of Ohakune where a coach will be waiting to take you to Wellington. Enjoy dinner with your group tonight.
Day 6 - Wellington This morning, set off on a sightseeing tour of the city’s best-loved sights, including New Zealand’s national museum - Te Papa Tongarewa. Enjoy the remainder of the day at leisure to explore as you please.
Day 7 - Wellington, Picton, Coastal Pacific Train, Christchurch After two exciting Insider Experiences, arrive in Kaikoura and reboard your coach to travel to the South Island’s largest city, Christchurch.
Day 8 - Christchurch, TranzAlpine Train, Fox Glacier Cross the rolling green countryside of the Canterbury Plains and enjoy exciting views out over deep gorges. Follow alongside the Waimakariri River and travel across the magnificent Southern Alps within Arthur’s Pass National Park. Disembark the train at Greymouth and travel by coach through Franz Josef to Fox Glacier. Tonight you will stay close to the glacier and enjoy dinner at your hotel.
Day 9 - Fox Glacier, Queenstown Enjoy a day of truly beautiful scenery as you wind your way from Fox Glacier through unspoiled countryside to the alpine town of Queenstown. Known as the country’s ‘adventure capital’, there is no shortage of activities available to you during your two-night stay. And within close proximity to premier wine-growing regions, it is also renowned for its world-class culinary scene, which you may like to discover on your free evening. Alternatively, spend the night simply relaxing amid the comfortable surrounds of your hotel.
Day 10 - Queenstown Today, during time at leisure, you have the freedom to relax or choose one of our exciting select experiences (own expense). The Shotover Jet Boat Ride is a popular choice, or perhaps you might like to enjoy a gondola ride to the top of Bob’s Peak.
Day 11 - Queenstown, Milford Sound, Te Anau After breakfast, follow along the base of The Remarkables mountain range and Lake Wakatipu into Fiordland National Park. Journey along the Milford Road to Milford Sound.
Day 12 - Te Anau, Dunedin Aboard one of the world’s greatest rail journeys, you will traverse through tunnels and over bridges as you make your way through incredible landscapes of the world-famous Central Otago wine region, to Pukerangi. Known as the ‘Edinburgh of the South’, Dunedin was planned in Scotland and still maintains its grand Victorian heritage. Spend one night in the second-largest city on New Zealand’s South Island.
Day 13 - Dunedin, Seasider Train, Mt Cook, Lake Tekapo This morning, embark on a special rail journey. Disembark at Waitati and rejoin the coach to continue to Oamaru and northwards to view the unusual Moeraki Boulders. Visit the tiny Church of the Good Shepherd, built of locally gathered stone and oak on the shores of Lake Tekapo.
Day 14 - Lake Tekapo, Christchurch Today enjoy an Insider Experience before heading back to Christchurch where you will enjoy a Farewell Dinner.
Day 15 - Depart Christchurch Today you will be transferred to the airport.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 25 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.