Backroads to Beijing - 8 Days
From 2020-03-14 to 2021-11-06
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Mar Sat 14 2020 to Mar Sat 21 2020AvailableFrom$1,625*
Mar Sat 28 2020 to Apr Sat 04 2020AvailableFrom$1,625*
Apr Sat 11 2020 to Apr Sat 18 2020AvailableFrom$1,675*
Apr Sat 25 2020 to May Sat 02 2020AvailableFrom$1,675*
May Sat 09 2020 to May Sat 16 2020AvailableFrom$1,675*
May Sat 23 2020 to May Sat 30 2020AvailableFrom$1,675*
Jun Sat 06 2020 to Jun Sat 13 2020AvailableFrom$1,625*
Jun Sat 20 2020 to Jun Sat 27 2020AvailableFrom$1,625*
Jul Sat 04 2020 to Jul Sat 11 2020AvailableFrom$1,625*
Jul Sat 18 2020 to Jul Sat 25 2020AvailableFrom$1,625*
Aug Sat 01 2020 to Aug Sat 08 2020AvailableFrom$1,625*
Aug Sat 15 2020 to Aug Sat 22 2020AvailableFrom$1,625*
Aug Sat 29 2020 to Sep Sat 05 2020AvailableFrom$1,625*
Sep Sat 12 2020 to Sep Sat 19 2020AvailableFrom$1,675*
Sep Sat 26 2020 to Oct Sat 03 2020AvailableFrom$1,675*
Oct Sat 10 2020 to Oct Sat 17 2020AvailableFrom$1,675*
Oct Sat 24 2020 to Oct Sat 31 2020AvailableFrom$1,675*
Shanghai Airport arrival transfers on day 1 and departure transfer on day 8 from Beijing Capital Airport.
7 breakfasts and 3 lunches.
6 nights 3 - 4 star hotels, 1 overnight train: Shanghai - Qufu (4-berth soft sleeper cabin).
Touring of Shanghai, Suzhou, Qufu and Jinan.
Shanghai - Huangpu River cruise.
Suzhou - historic Grand Canal cruise.
Return cable car journey – Mt Tai Shan.
Tour Guide escorted for groups of 6 or more.
English speaking specialist guides at local sights.
All relevant transfers and transportation in private A/C vehicles.
Day 1 - Shanghai Saturday. Arrive into Shanghai airport where you will be met and transferred to your hotel. Spend the rest of the day at leisure.
Day 2 - Shanghai Today we explore the cosmopolitan city of Shanghai. On our guided tour of the city we'll visit the iconic Oriental Pearl TV tower, Shanghai’s Bund, where on and around the waterfront promenade are a vast series of grandiose pre-1949 buildings, the picturesque Yuyuan Gardens and the Old City. This evening enjoy a cruise on the Huangpu River and admire Shanghai's incredible illuminated skyline.
Day 3-4 - Suzhou Shanghai - Suzhou - Shanghai - Qufu. Today we visit the picturesque and ancient city of Suzhou, which is reminiscent of Venice with its series of canals and pretty waterways. Here we enjoy a cruise on the Grand Canal and visit a silk workshop.
There’s plenty to see and do in Shanghai and day 4 is free for you to venture to the Old City, French Quarter or opt to shop along the famous Nanjing road. This evening we bunk down in our soft sleeper train cabins en route to Qufu.
Day 5 - Qufu This morning we arrive into Qufu, birthplace of Confucius and home to the remarkable Confucius Temple. With 466 rooms and over a kilometre long, the complex was built and dedicated to the Kong clan, descendants of the great sage, who lived here continuously for more than 2,500 years, spanning 77 generations. Today we explore the mansion and temple before taking a rickshaw ride around the city wall with a visit to the eerie Confucius forest. The forest is studded with tombs and graves of Kong family members dating back some centuries. This evening we take a stroll through the colourful night market.
Day 6 - Jinan Qufu – Bu Yang Village - Mt Tai Shan – Jinan. This morning we take a short drive to Bu Yang Village. In this traditional village the principles of Communism, communal work and land ownership are somewhat still in place. Here's we'll enjoy a light lunch at Mr Peng’s (one of the party officials) home. Seated around the family’s low to the ground lazy Susan, Mrs Peng serves up local dishes and copious bottles of beer. This is a real taste of village life! A short stroll leads us to the village prep-school, where we'll visit the classroom to meet the children who will all be vying for our attention.
After our visit to the school we travel on to Mt Tai Shan, perhaps the holiest of the five Chinese holy mountains devoted to Taoism. Whilst flocks of pilgrims climb the 6000 or more steps to the summit, we will take the cable car. With stunning scenery and many ancient temples dotting the slopes we will visit Heaven Street, Cloud Bridge and the Jade Emperor’s temple. A short drive takes us to Jinan where we spend the night.
Day 7 - Jinan Jinan - Beijing. Today we embark on a short city sightseeing tour of Jinan, capital of Shandong province in Eastern China, and enjoy a fabulous Hotpot lunch. Afternoon express train journey to Beijing.
Day 8 - Beijing Saturday. Tour ends after breakfast and included onward transfer to Beijing Capital Airport. Or consider extending your stay to explore China's bustling capital.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 28 January 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..