Felucca Explorer - 9 Days
Departure dates & prices
Dates Availability Price
Breakfast daily, 2 lunches and 2 dinners.
5 nights 3-4 star hotels, 2 nights aboard felucca (open deck).
Airport arrival and departure transfer on day 1 and day 9.
1 overnight train from Luxor to Cairo (Private 2 berth sleeper cabin).
Touring - Cairo, Giza, Saqqara, Luxor, Aswan and Kom Ombo.
Escorted by an Egyptian tour guide degree qualified in Egyptology.
All relevant transfer and transportation in private modern air-conditioned vehicles.
Ave group size: 16 persons.
Day 1 - Cairo Saturday. Welcome to Cairo, Egypt's bustling capital. You will be met at Cairo Airport and transferred to our start hotel. Spend the rest of the day at leisure, or those arriving early may wish to book our Backstreets of Cairo tour which visits lesser known highlights of the capital including Tahrir Square, the hub of the 2011 Egyptian Revolution.
Day 2 - Pyramids of Giza After breakfast, we have a short Welcome Meeting before setting off for the Giza Plateau. Giza is home to the legendary Pyramids of Giza, the sole survivors of the ancient Seven Wonders of the World. Known as Cheops, Chephren and Mycerinus, the great pyramids were built over 4500 years ago to protect the mummies of the pharaohs and the treasures they took with them to the afterlife. Constructed from over 2.5 million limestone blocks, Cheops is the largest of the great pyramids and it is thought to have taken 100,000 workers more than 20 years to construct. For a real Arabian experience, you can opt to hire a camel for a ride across the sands of Giza.
After exploring the pyramids and the iconic Sphinx we travel to the necropolis of Saqqara to see Zhoser’s Step Pyramid - which was constructed by Imhotep, the pharaoh’s chief architect, in 2700 BC and became the template for all future pyramid construction. We complete our day souvenir shopping at the bustling Khan el-Khalili Bazaar.
Day 3 - Cairo Cairo - Luxor. This morning we visit the famous Egyptian Museum, which is home to an incredible array of Egyptian relics and antiquities including the treasures of King Tutankhamun and his famous solid gold funerary mask. This afternoon, we board our coach for the 9 hour journey south to Luxor. Upon arrival this evening, we check into our hotel by the River Nile.
Day 4 - Luxor Luxor - Aswan. We venture to the incredible tomb strewn Valley of the Kings on Luxor's West Bank this morning. We're greeted by the towering 18m tall Colossi of Memnon - an iconic pair of statues of Pharaoh Amenhotep III. We explore the Valleys of the Kings and the beautiful colonnaded Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, which rises out of the desert plain in a series of terraces.
The Valley of the Kings is studded with beautifully decorated tombs, which were carved into the desert rocks to house the regal sarcophagi enclosed mummies of the mighty pharaohs awaiting passage into the afterlife, including the famous tomb of King Tutankhamun. Later this afternoon we continue our journey, travelling south to Aswan.
Day 5 - Aswan Aswan - Nile Felucca Cruise. There is an early morning optional excursion to the spectacular rock-cut temple of Abu Simbel today. Then, it's a short boat ride to Agilkia Island for a guided tour of beautiful Philae Temple - dedicated to the Goddess Isis.
This afternoon, we board our Nile felucca for a 2 night voyage downstream on the River Nile. Feluccas are simple sailboats based on a unique design and have plied the Nile since ancient times. Relax by day and spend two nights sleeping under a blanket of stars on the felucca deck.
Day 6 - Felucca Cruise Nile Felucca Sailing - Kom Ombo. Spend a relaxing day sailing the Nile, taking in the scenery as it glides by, waving to locals along the river banks and perhaps opting for a swim.
Day 7 - Aswan Kom Ombo - Luxor. This morning we disembark at Kom Ombo to visit the riverside temple, dedicated to Sobek, the crocodile headed god. Then we travel on to Luxor and this evening, opt to join our optional guided tour of remarkable Luxor Temple (booked locally), which is spectacular at night when it's illuminated by hundreds of lights.
Day 8 - Luxor Luxor - Cairo. This morning we visit the colossal Temple of Karnak which was at the heart of religious life in ancient Egypt. Karnak is an incredible complex of sanctuaries, pylons, chapels, halls and obelisks, all dedicated to the Theban gods and to the greater glory of Egypt’s Middle and New Kingdom rulers. This afternoon is free to relax, enjoy a swim and soak up the sun at the hotel pool. Tonight, we travel on board an overnight sleeper train back to Cairo.
Day 9 - Cairo Sunday. Arrive back into Cairo this morning and transfer to our hotel, where our Egyptian adventure ends. Today offers free time for you to further explore Cairo before an included departure transfer to the airport. Flights departing Cairo should not be booked before 2pm today. Should you wish to stay a few more days, post tour accommodation is available or check out our tour add-ons, please enquire with your consultant.
For information about visas, top travel tips and much more, take a look through our travel guide.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 20 October 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
- We receive payment from third party travel service providers when you use us to book travel and travel-related products and services with them on your behalf.
- Our liability to you is limited in certain situations, and we may charge you a cancellation fee(s) in certain circumstances. See our booking terms and conditions for further details.