Wonders of Portugal
From 21/12/2019 to 05/04/2020
4 dinners with local wine.
First class travel Highlights.
Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing.
Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals.
Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys).
Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted.
Optional Experiences and free time.
All porterage and restaurant gratuities.
Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras.
An expert Travel Director and professional Driver.
All hotel tips, charges and local taxes.
Hand-picked Trip Highlights.
VIP entry to many sights.
Day 1 - Arrive Lisbon (2 Nights) Bem vindo a Lisboa. A sea of pastel pinks, yellows and blues dot the seven hills of the romantic Portuguese capital, which you will have an opportunity to explore today before meeting your fellow travellers and Travel Director for a Welcome Reception and orientation drive past the city's most iconic sights.
Day 2 - Lisbon Sightseeing and Free Time Delve into Lisbon's centuries-old seafaring heritage today, paying tribute to the brave men who set off from these shores to discover a new world. We'll see the shimmering white Monument to the Discoveries, the iconic suspension bridge spanning the River Tagus and the mighty Bel?m Tower. We join a Local Specialist for a sightseeing tour of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Hieronymite Monastery, an exquisite testament to 15th-century Manueline architecture and art. Join an Optional Experience to the historic towns of Estoril, Cascais and Sintra to explore the famous Golden Triangle, or join a traditional Portuguese dinner amidst the heart-wrenching, haunting sounds of the fado.
Day 3 - Lisbon - ?vora Travel to the ancient Alentejo city of Évora. Join your Local Specialist and visit the elaborate cathedral, Roman temple and the Chapel of Bones. We spend the rest of our day delving into the medieval history of this enchanting city. Consider joining an Optional Experience to the village of Monsaraz set against the stunning backdrop of golden olive groves. This evening we dine at our hotel in Évora.
Day 4 - ?vora - Castelo de Vide - Viseu Our first stop today is in the quaint hilltop town of Castelo de Vide with its charming white fa?ades, narrow alleys and fascinating Jewish Quarter. Travel north towards the Serra de Estrela mountains and arrive later in Viseu, set high on a plateau near the famous D?o vineyards. Explore the city's rich art and architectural history, visiting the 12th-century S?, standing imposingly on a hill overlooking much of the city.
Day 5 - Viseu - Mateus - Guimar?es - Porto (2 Nights) Vineyard-clad hills provide an enchanting backdrop for our journey today through the Douro Valley where port wine is produced. We explore the magnificent gardens at the beautiful baroque Pal?cio de Mateus, depicted on the label of the distinctive Mateus wine bottles. We then continue via Guimar?es for views of its impressive 10th-century castle before arriving in Porto where we will spend the next two nights.
Day 6 - Porto Sightseeing and Free Time Join a Local Specialist today for a sightseeing tour in Porto which takes you past baroque churches and along the winding cobblestone lanes that tumble down towards the Douro. See the remarkable bridges that span the river and the Gothic Church of St. Francis. Visit the Stock Exchange Palace with its splendid Arabian Hall inspired by Granada's Alhambra, before we 'Dive Into Culture' and into the centuries-old tradition of local port production at a tasting in a port cellar. Spend the rest of the afternoon strolling through the historic centre of Porto, admire the azulejo-clad fa?ades or visit Livraria Lello, the city's oldest book store with its iconic red staircase.
Day 7 - Porto - Coimbra - Tomar - F?tima Soak up the grand atmosphere of one of Europe's greatest and oldest universities and meander through the ancient streets and squares of Coimbra this morning, before journeying to the Templar city of Tomar to visit the Convent of Christ, originally built as a Templar stronghold in the 12th century and today an exquisite reminder of the Portuguese Renaissance. We arrive in the pilgrimage centre of F?tima where we'll dine in our hotel.
Day 8 - F?tima - Batalha - Nazar? - Obidos - Lisbon This morning we visit the shrine where three young shepherds famously saw the apparition of the Virgin at the pilgrimage site of F?tima. En route to Lisbon, we stop at the imposing monastery of Batalha - a UNESCO World Heritage site, it is the best example of late Gothic architecture in Portugal. Our next stop is the fishing village of Nazar? before we visit ?bidos, a medieval walled city with white-washed houses and cobblestone roads. Our last night in Portugal together sees us toast to an incredible journey as we 'Connect With Locals' over a memorable Be My Guest Farewell Dinner.
Day 9 - Depart Lisbon Say a fond adeus to your fellow travellers at the end of an unforgettable Portuguese holiday. Airport transfers are available. Conditions apply. Sightseeing Highlights CITY TOUR in Lisbon, ?vora and Porto ORIENTATION of Castelo de Vide, Viseu, Tomar, Nazar? and Obidos VISIT the Hieronymite Monastery in Lisbon, the cathedral in Evora, the Palace Gardens at Palacio de Mateus, the Stock Exchange Palace and Arabian Hall in Porto, the University Library of Coimbra, the Convent of Christ in Tomar, the Shrine at F?tima, the Gothic Monastery at Batalha and the medieval village of Obidos VIEW the Castle of Guimar?es
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 13 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..