Hanoi to Hoi An, 8 Days
Valid for select departures 21 September - 30 November 2019
8 day tour departing Hanoi.
5 nights accommodation in 4-star and special class hotels.
1 night accommodation on a junk boat.
1 night accommodation on a sleeper train.
7 breakfasts, 3 lunches & 1 dinner.
Bicycle ride to Tra Que village and cooking demonstration.
Guided sightseeing - Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue and Hoi An.
Services by an English speaking Vietnamese tour guide.
All relevant transfers and transportation in private air-conditioned vehicles.
Airport arrival transfer day 1 and departure transfer day 8.
WAS $1445*, NOW $1084*, SAVE $361*.
Day 1 Hanoi. Xin Chao or 'hello' in Vietnamese Welcome to Hanoi, one of the region's most charming cities where French colonial elegance meets Asian spirit with attractive lakes, colourful pagodas and atmospheric streets. On arrival you will be met by our local representative and transferred to our joining hotel where the remainder of the day is at leisure for you to relax or head out and explore. For those able to arrive very early today or the day prior, why not get off the beaten track and explore Hanoi with us on our optional Back Streets of Hanoi add-on, which explores the quaint districts of Cho Buoi, Hoang Hoa Tham and Vinh Phuc, and also includes an exhilarating local experience - riding pillion, on taxi-motorbikes through a maze of tiny streets and along the shore of beautiful Ho Tay Lake.
Day 2 Hanoi to Halong Bay. After breakfast this morning we leave Hanoi and transfer to the jewel in Vietnam's scenic crown - the incredibly beautiful Halong Bay. Board a comfortable junk boat to explore the emerald waters of the bay, dotted with green islets, and enjoy lunch with a view onboard. This afternoon we will visit the spectacular Tien Ong Cave which was recently opened to the public in 2010, with its stunning stalagmites and stalactites. Later this evening back onboard, watch a Vietnamese cooking demonstration held on the sundeck before settling down for a sumptuous seafood dinner.
Day 3 Halong Bay to Hanoi to Hue. Early birds can start the day with a relaxing Tai Chi class on the sundeck or a traditional massage - the perfect way to start the day. Before heading back to port we'll explore by kayak the Floating Village of Cua Van, which is home to generations of fishing families. Here we'll see the traditional and colourful floating wooden houses and the locals going about their daily lives. On arrival back into Hanoi mid-afternoon we'll explore the maze of streets in the French Quarter on our very only cyclo (rickshaws), taking in highlights such as the Opera house and Ly Thai To Park. We then swap our wheels for a leisurely walk through '36 streets of the old quarter', named after the numerous guilds that once set up shop on a particular street, from silk tailors to traditional medicine shops. Later this evening there's a chance to freshen up before boarding the overnight train (4 berth sleeper cabin, basic standard) on the 'Reunification Express' railway line to Hue. An option to fly from Hanoi to Hue is also available.
Day 4 Hue. Arriving into imperial Hue this morning, we enjoy a guided sightseeing tour of the 19th-century capital. Visit the iconic Thien Mu Pagoda, with its 21-metre-tall tower. There will be time to explore the walled fortress of the Imperial Purple Palace, ringed by a moat with elaborate arches and impressive ramparts, some of which lie in ruin. Later we head out to the countryside and visit the mausoleum of Emperor Tu Duc, one of the wonderfully ornamented Royal Tombs of the Nguyen kings. This evening there is an optional sunset cruise on the Perfume River. Travelling by longboat, it's the perfect way to enjoy the city skyline.
Day 5 Hue to Hoi An. Departing Hue this morning our scenic drive via the Hai Van Pass (Road of the Ocean Clouds) takes us to Hoi An. The road follows the coast so there'll be wonderful views of beach to the east and verdant hills to the west. We enjoy a stop to walk along My Khe beach, nicknamed 'China Beach' by the Americans during the war. This beach also featured in Francis Ford Coppola's movie 'Apocalypse Now'. Arrive into the charming, old-world trading port of Hoi An later this afternoon. A short walking tour will introduce you to the highlights of this enchanting and historical town with highlights including the Chua Ong Pagoda, Chinese Assembly Hall, 200-year-old Tam Ky house, former merchants' homes and the 400 year-old Japanese Covered Bridge. During your stay in Hoi An, we offer a unique optional Hoi An Street Eats add-on, which explores the city's most popular local haunts. Cruise the city the way the locals do, by vintage Vespa and enjoy lots of tasty Vietnamese Cuisine. Book early with your reservation consultant, as numbers are limited.
Day 6 Hoi An. Today will be spent out in the countryside learning all about the rural way of life in Vietnam. We'll reach Tra Que village by bicycle, a leisurely ride on flat roads that take us through ride paddies and farm land. The option of a taxi is available locally for those not keen on bike riding (payable locally). Once at the village we'll get our hands dirty learning about age-old farming practices and putting our knowledge to use by tending the fields and gardens. Lunch is a home-cooked affair with everyone mucking in. Later this afternoon return back to Hoi An on your bikes.
Day 7 Hoi An. Today is completely free for you to enjoy Hoi An as you wish. Lose yourself in the cobbled streets lined with boutique restaurants, hip cafes, delightful craft shops and some of Asia's best bespoke tailors. If you prefer some R&R, lounge by the hotel pool or head to the beach. Those keen on Vietnam's ancient and more recent history can take an optional excursion to the ruined Cham city of My Son, or to Quang Ngai, the site of the My Lai massacre memorial, which marked a significant turning point in the Vietnam War.
Day 8 Hoi An. Today marks the end of your time in Vietnam. A departure transfer will be provided to take you to Danang airport in time for your onward flight.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 June 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin or multi share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..