Best of Britain, 11 Days, SAVE $352*
Valid for select departures 28 March - 10 October 2020
11 Day guided holiday departing Rome.
10 Nights accommodation in hand selected Hotels.
10 Full breakfasts, 1 Lunch and 5 Dinners.
Enjoy a Be My Guest lunch with the Dyer family on their 15th-century dairy farm in Somerset complete with home-made ice-cream.
Visit Buckfast Abbey, a Benedictine monastery built on the site where monks have lived and prayed for over 1,000 years.
For included sightseeing in Liverpool and Edinburgh.
Services of an expert travel director and professional driver.
Travel by luxury air-conditioned coach with on-board wifi.
WAS $3525*, NOW $3173*, SAVE $352*.
Day 1 London to Stonehenge to Bath to Exeter. The rolling green and golden landscapes of rural Wiltshire provide a stunning backdrop for our scenic drive to Salisbury Plain this morning. We tread in the footsteps of druids and pagans at Stonehenge before travelling to UNESCO listed Bath, with its elegant Georgian facades and the centuriesold Roman Baths. Our home for the next two nights is the historic cathedral city of Exeter where we will enjoy a memorable Welcome Reception this evening at our hotel.
Day 2 Exeter. Our first stop today is in the ancient port city of Plymouth, where we'll delve into the history of the brave Pilgrim Fathers who set sail for an unknown New World from its shores. See the Royal Citadel overlooking Plymouth Sound and consider an optional cruise around the dramatic coastline. We take a step back in time at our next stop, the fishing village and artists' retreat of Polperro. Continuing along the brooding moorland of Dartmoor, we arrive at Buckfast Abbey, where we'll 'Dive Into Culture' and gain insights into how Benedictine monks have lived and prayed for over 1,000 years.
Day 3 Exeter to Glastonbury to Cardiff. Enjoy a scenic drive through the pretty Devon and Somerset countryside to mystical Glastonbury, where we'll visit the ruined Abbey, said to be the final resting place of King Arthur. Later, we 'Connect With Locals', joining the Dyer family on their 15thcentury dairy farm in Somerset for a Be My Guest lunch. We journey to Cardiff, the capital of Wales, where we'll explore the proud heritage of the Welsh and modern icons, including the Principality Stadium during an orientation tour.
Day 4 Cardiff to Ludlow to Chester to Liverpool. Tudor history is explored this morning as we visit the historic towns of Ludlow and Chester with their characteristic black and white halftimbered buildings. Join your Travel Director for an orientation walk past these famous Tudor Rows and enjoy views of Chester's medieval city walls and red sandstone Cathedral. The haunt of the 'Fab Four' is our final stop today. Join a Local Specialist to gain insight into Liverpool's Beatles' history and enjoy a free evening in one of Britain's edgiest cities.
Day 5 Liverpool to Lake District to Glasgow. Rolling Lancashire pastures give way to the soul stirring Lake District, whose beautiful scenery has inspired poets and writers for centuries. We travel along the shores of Lake Windermere, through country side made famous by the poet William Wordsworth. Stop in Gretna Green, where many an eloping couple has tied the knot. We arrive in Glasgow later for an orientation tour, including views of the Cathedral, magnificent George Square and the Clyde River, the former heart of the ship building industry. Warm Scottish hospitality and hearty flavours are ours to enjoy this evening during a Regional Meal in a local restaurant.
Day 6 Glasgow to Glencoe to Fort William to Scottish Highlands. Journey along Loch Lomond, whose bonnie banks were immortalised in the well known Scottish song. We arrive in Glencoe and remember the MacDonald clansmen who died tragically in the 1692 massacre which led this place to be called the 'Glen of the Weeping'. At the World War II Commando Memorial near Fort William, we admire views of Britain's highest mountain, Ben Nevis. Tonight, we stay at one of Trafalgar's 'Stays With Stories' Laggan Gaskmore Hotel, located within Cairngorm National Park in the Scottish Highlands.
Day 7 Isle of Skye, Culloden and Scenic Highland. We travel to the coast this morning, boarding a ferry over the sea to the Isle of Skye. Against the backdrop of heatherclad mountains, we stop at the ancient settlement of Kyleakin. Later, we cross the road bridge to view scenic Eilean Donan Castle on the mainland. Travel through the Scottish Highlands past its picturesque lochs and glens, keeping your camera at the ready to capture 'Nessie' if you can. Pass Culloden battlefield on the way back to your Highland hotel.
Day 8 Scottish Highlands to Pitlochry to St Andrews to Edinburgh. Heading back to the lowlands of Scotland, we stop in Pitlochry before heading to the historic home of golf, St. Andrews. Here, the first games were played during the 1400s. See its famous 18th hole before crossing the Firth of Forth to Scotland's enchanting capital, Edinburgh. Tickets to see the Edinburgh Tattoo are included on departures that coincide with performance dates from 2nd to 24th August 2019.
Day 9 Edinburgh. Ramble up the Royal Mile today and see the iconic sights of one of Britain's most enchanting cities. Views of the elegant Palace of Holyroodhouse, in the shadow of Arthur's Seat, and the Scottish Parliament feature on your sightseeing tour with a Local Specialist. Visit Edinburgh Castle perched atop Castle Rock overlooking the city. Admire the elegant Georgian architecture in the New Town and amble through the hidden passages of the Old Town before enjoying an evening at leisure. Consider an Optional Experience including traditional song, dance and Scottish fare.
Day 10 Edinburgh to Alnwick to York. We travel to the medieval market town of Alnwick this morning, where we'll see the impressive castle home to the Duke of Northumberland and the Tenantry Column, upon which the Percy Lion sits and surveys the town. Journey through Northumberland to the cathedral city of York. We'll embark an orientation walk past its cobblestone Shambles and see the inspiring Minster with its 'heart of Yorkshire' before joining our newfound friends for a Farewell Dinner.
Day 11 York to StratforduponAvon. Shakespeare's legacy and life are celebrated in his home town of Stratford-upon-Avon, which we will have an opportunity to visit today on our return to London. See Anne Hathaway's thatched cottage and visit Shakespeare's Birthplace and Visitor Centre. Later, we travel back to London where our amazing holiday comes to an end.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 9 September 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..