Jewels of Japan, 12 days
Valid for select departures 7 April - 20 May 2020
Return economy class airfare from Australia* to Japan including prepaid taxes and current fuel surcharges (subject to change).
12 day tour departing Australia.
All meals (9 breakfasts, 8 lunches & 9 dinners).
All Entrance Fees, Guides and Tours.
All Domestic Transportation.
Tipping is generally not part of the culture in Japan, however if you feel you have received excellent service, please feel free to tip your National Escort at your discretion.
Additional Information Departing from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.
Depending on airline schedules, extra nights pre or post tour accommodation or stopovers may be required at additional cost.
Savings from $300 per person with our Early Bird Specials for 2020.
Day 1-2 Tokyo. Fly overnight to the non-stop wonder of Tokyo, Japan's capital city. Depending on your time of arrival, the rest of the day is yours to start exploring its many neighbourhoods.
Day 3 Tokyo. Tokyo is the ultimate 24-hour city. Begin today with a visit to the observation deck of the 634-metre Skytree, the world's tallest tower for panoramic views, before seeking out the tranquillity of the ancient Buddhist Sensoji Temple, Tokyo's oldest. Learn about Tokyo's historical heritage at the Edo-Tokyo Museum and explore Tokyo's Imperial Palace East Garden.
Day 4 Meiji Shrine. Today, the tour begins with a relaxed morning wandering around the classical landscapes of the Hamarikyu Garden. Continue to the Meiji Shrine, the Shinto shrine dedicated to the deified spirits of Emperor Meiji and his wife, Empress Shoken, before driving past the famous Shibuya Crossing. The afternoon is at leisure for you to explore the city as you wish. This evening, take a relaxed dinner cruise on Tokyo Bay for some excellent city vistas.
Day 5 Fuji Five Lakes. Journey through the foothills of the iconic Mt Fuji to its base where we find the Fuji Five Lakes. The region is spectacular with the calm waters of the five lakes, formed by past volcanic eruptions, reflecting Mt Fuji's picture-perfect cone. Later, try your hand at making traditional Japanese soba noodles before tucking in to your creations. Continue to Itchiku Kubota Art Museum to view the elaborate dyed silk creations and spend some time strolling around the beautiful garden.
Day 6 Mt Fuji. Ascend 2,300 metres up to Mt Fuji's 5th Station (weather permitting) where, with its perfectly conical peak looming overhead, you can take in the breathtaking views over the landscapes below. Returning to the beautiful Five Lakes region, explore Iyashi no Sato Historical Village, a former farming village on the shores of Lake Saiko. Destroyed by a landslide in 1966, the remaining thatched-roofed houses of this old village have been transformed into an open-air museum and craft village.
Day 7 Kyoto. Transfer to Mishima station for the bullet train to Kyoto. Sit back and relax as you speed across the country. An enchanting city, Kyoto was capital for a thousand years; today it is the legacy of ancient Japan, full of tranquil temples, silk-clad geisha and sublime gardens. The geisha is both an intriguing and integral part of Japanese history - meet with either a maiko (apprentice geisha) or geisha and learn about their way of life and culture. Continue to Ryoanji Temple, home to Japan's most famous Zen garden and end the day with a visit to Kinkaku-ji Temple, known as the 'Golden Pavilion'.
Day 8 Kyoto. Today you will explore one of Kyoto's delightful temples - Kiyomizu Temple, a 17th Century Buddhist temple. In the afternoon, enjoy a traditional Japanese handicraft experience and sample Japanese tea at a restored wooden townhouse.
Day 9 Hiroshima & Miyajima. Today, travel by bullet train to Hiroshima. Hiroshima needs no introduction. The city today is vibrant and modern with a forward-thinking, sunny outlook. Find a moment to reflect at the Peace Memorial Park and Museum, paying homage to the victims of the 1945 atomic bomb. Next, hop on the ferry to the holy island of Miyajima. Visit the Itsukushima Shrine, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Japan's most recognisable, rising majestically out of the waters of the Seto Inland Sea. Take an optional cable car up Mt Misen to enjoy the panoramic views.
Day 10 Himeji Castle. Travel to Himeji to visit its famous castle. The feudal era fort, one of the most impressive in Japan, towers over the city and is recognisable as the backdrop to several major films. Appreciate its turbulent past before strolling around Koko-en, the Edo-style gardens just across the castle moat. Afterwards, you will be transferred to Osaka for an overnight stay. Day 11 - 12 Fly Osaka To Australia. Fly to Australia, arriving home the same or following day.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 27 September 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- *International return airfares departing Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth are included in the price. Additional charges may apply.
- Note: Depending on airline schedules, extra nights pre or post tour accommodation or stopovers may be required at additional cost.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..