Southern Spotlight, 9 Days
Only on 13 October & 10 November 2019
9 Day tour departing Christchurch.
8 Nights accommodation in a Hotel.
8 Full buffet breakfasts, 1 Highlight Dinner, 4 Dinners & 1 Farewell Dinner.
Experienced Travel Director and Driver Guide.
Travel by luxury coach.
Day 1 Welcome to Christchurch. You'll have time to relax before meeting your Travel Director and fellow travellers this evening for a Welcome Reception.
Day 2 Christchurch to Omarama. See how Christchurch is rebuilding after the devastating earthquakes of 2010 and 2011. Later, view the Church of the Good Shepherd and enjoy spectacular scenery as you travel to stunning Mount Cook National Park.
Day 3 Omarama to Dunedin. Visit to the Waitaki Hydro Power Scheme, an intricate series of interconnected lakes and canals, and the monumental spillway of the nearby Benmore Dam. Then travel to the historic town of Oamaru, with its elegant tree-lined streets and celebrated white limestone buildings. Continue to Dunedin, New Zealand's southernmost city, where your afternoon is at leisure. You may like to take a wildlife cruise, or ride the historic Taieri Gorge Railway.
Day 4 Dunedin to Te Anau. Enjoy some free time this morning before travelling across the fertile pastures of South Otago to serene Lake Te Anau. Tonight, why not consider an optional experience and take a boat tour of the mysterious Te Anau Glowworm Caves.
Day 5 Te Anau to Queenstown. Travel through the tall native rainforests and rugged mountains of Fiordland National Park, then cruise on the serene waters of Milford Sound. On the way to Queenstown, see Mirror Lake, the Chasm, Mitre Peak, and Bowen Falls, and then travel along the shores of Lake Wakatipu.
Day 6 Queenstown Free Time. Explore New Zealand's adventure capital at your own pace today. There are jet-boat rides and 4WD safaris for the thrill-seekers, and wine tours or intimate cafes for those who enjoy a more leisurely rhythm. Later this afternoon, cruise across Lake Wakatipu aboard the TSS Earnslaw to Walter Peak High Country Farm for a gourmet barbecue Highlight Dinner.
Day 7 Queenstown to Franz Josef. Your first stop today is the faithfully-restored gold-mining settlement of Arrowtown. Sample luscious stone fruit in Cromwell and enjoy the serenity of the region's vivid blue lakes. Drive over spectacular Haast Pass, passing the towering Thunder Creek Falls, and stopping for a tranquil rainforest walk on your way to the extraordinary Franz Josef Glacier, where an optional scenic flight is available.
Day 8 Franz Josef to Christchurch. Travel to Hokitika, home of New Zealand's famous greenstone. Pounamu (its Maori name), is of great significance in Maori culture and was prized for its strength, durability and beauty. Continue to Arthur's Pass to board the iconic TranzAlpine train and embark on one of the world's most renowned rail journeys, passing through the magnificent landscapes of the Southern Alps and the fertile farmlands of the Canterbury Plains. This evening, join your Travel Director and new-found friends for a Farewell Dinner.
Day 9 Farewell from Christchurch. Say farewell to your fellow travellers when your holiday comes to an end this morning after breakfast.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 September 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..