Explore Egypt Tour, 10 Days
HighlightsDay 1 Australia to Cairo.
Depart from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth for Cairo, Egypt. Upon arrival into Cairo Airport you will be met and transferred to the hotel.
Note: due to flight scheduling and availability, some departures may occur on day 0. Affected customers must be at the airport the day before. Flight times will be indicated on your final documentation which you will receive prior to departure.Day 2 Cairo.
Today, join your Egyptologist guide (who will be with you throughout the tour) and head into downtown Cairo to explore the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, home to the famous Tutankhamun exhibit and a huge number of other ancient Egyptian artefacts.
Then, it's on to Giza and the breath-taking Sphinx and Pyramids of Giza. At 500 feet high and 750 feet wide at its base, the Great Pyramid of Khufu (Cheops) is a breath-taking man?made structure, built from enormous stone blocks with a white limestone covering. Along with the smaller pyramids, the sight of these huge structures is unforgettable. You may also have the chance to climb inside a pyramid if you wish (not included and subject to availability).
This evening transfer to the station for the overnight sleeper train to Aswan (approx. 12 hours).Day 3 Aswan.
This morning arrive in Aswan and transfer to the hotel overlooking the Nile; at its most picturesque here, with cascading rapids, lush green islands, and sailing feluccas. It's also part of the ancient region of Nubia and many descendants of the Nubian people still live here. Today visit a local Nubian village and enjoy a traditional lunch. This afternoon visit the Temple of Philae ? a beautiful island complex dedicated to the Egyptian goddess Isis and reclaimed from the rising waters of Lake Nasser, reached by a scenic boat ride. You will also stop to visit the huge Aswan Dam.
This evening is free to look around Aswan's spice and general markets and walk along the popular Corniche on the banks of the Nile.Day 4 Aswan.
Enjoy free time this morning or join the optional sunrise tour to Abu Simbel (not included). The optional tour visits UNESCO listed temples of Ramses II at Abu Simbel. Depart very early in the morning to see the sun rise over the temples.
After lunch, spend the afternoon sailing down the Nile on a felucca. Watch local rural Egyptian life pass you by on the banks of the river as you drift past; an unforgettable experience. Enjoy an early evening dinner onboard before transferring back to your Aswan accommodation.Day 5 Aswan to Luxor.
After breakfast, depart Aswan to visit the nearby temples of Edfu, before continuing north to Luxor. Built on and around the ancient site of Thebes, Luxor boasts the largest concentration of ancient ruins in the Nile Valley, if not the world. To the west of the Nile lies the City of the Dead, with its mortuary temples and rock?hewn tombs. To the east lies the Temples of Luxor and Karnak.
This evening take a walking tour of the smaller Luxor Temple - right in the middle of town and beautifully lit at night.Day 6 Luxor to West Bank.
Cross the Nile early this morning to tour Luxor's West Bank. Home to the Valley of the Kings, the dusty tombs in this ancient burial site are still revealing their secrets today and so it remains one of the most important archaeological sites in the world. The tour includes several Pharaonic tombs, the temple of Queen Hatchepsut, the Valley of the Artisans, Deir El-Medina, and the huge Colossi of Memnon.
The afternoon is then free to relax and enjoy your 5-star hotel on the banks of the Nile. Additional sightseeing is available, your tour guide can arrange extra visits for you (and will advise the costs to cover transport, entrances and the guide's services).
Optional Day Tour: A spectacular hot air balloon flight over the west bank of the Nile as the sun rises is available very early this morning.Day 7 Luxor, Karnak Temple to Cairo.
Take advantage of some free time to relax at the hotel this morning. After lunch (not included), tour the huge temple complex at Karnak, which was once linked to Luxor by an extensive avenue, lined with sphinxes. The complex was in turn linked to the Nile via a canal through which moved the sacred boats of the god Amun. Entering through a smaller sphinx?lined avenue built by Rameses II, is an immense pylon entrance. Inside the huge courtyard are chapels dedicated to the gods Amun, Khous and Mut. The remarkable Hypostyle Hall has 134 towering columns, each carved with scenes of gods, pharaohs and hieroglyphic inscriptions.
In the afternoon, be transferred to the airport for the short flight up to Cairo. On arrival be transferred to the hotel for the night.Day 8 Cairo.
Most of the day is free to explore Cairo or take an optional tour (not included). These include a city tour visiting Coptic Cairo, the Citadel and Mohamed Ali Mosque, or a half day tour to Saqqara, Dashour and Memphis to learn more about the history of pyramid building.
In the late afternoon, take a guided walk through the back streets and bazaars in central Cairo. Walk through huge Bab al-Futuh gateway and explore streets dedicated to metalwork, spices, pottery, fabric, jewellery and more as we enter Khan-el-Khalili bazaar. Try some tea and a shisha pipe and perhaps enjoy an early dinner of Egypt's unofficial national dish, Kushari (not included) before returning to the hotel.Day 9 Cairo to Australia.
Your time is free today for last minute sightseeing or shopping (time permitting) prior to your transfer to the airport for your departure flight.Day 10 Arrive Home.
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 31 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Deposit is $2600 per person and is non-refundable, the balance is due 120 days prior to departure.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..