China Highlights, 9 Days
Deal Number 5361543
Just go. Make your dream holiday your next holiday with easy Interest Free repayments over the next 9 months on packages over $999. For full product information please see our interest free page.
Duration 9 days
Availability Valid for select departures 15 January - 30 June 2019
Call 1300 018 390
- 9 day tour departing Shanghai
- 6 nights accommodation in a hotel
- 1 night accommodation on a Overnight Sleeper Train
- 1 night accommodation in a Guesthouse
- 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch & 1 Dinner
- Transport by Overnight Sleeper Train, Private Vehicle, Public Bus, High Speed Trai and Subway
- WAS $1750*, NOW $1575*, SAVE $175*
- Shanghai - Walking tour
- Xitang - Walking tour
- Xi'an - Muslim Quarter walking tour
- Xi'an - Terracotta Warriors
- Xi'an - Home-cooked lunch
- Great Wall - Dumpling making
- Beijing - Mutianyu Great Wall
- Beijing - Tian'anmen Square & Forbidden City
- Beijing - Tiananmen Square
- Valid for select departures 15 January - 30 June 2019
Shanghai - Shanghai - Xitang - Xi - Great Wall - Great Wall - Beijing
Day 1 Shanghai.
Welcome to China. Blending 21st-century architecture with old-world character, Shanghai pulses with the beat of new China. Your adventure begins with a meeting at 6 pm this evening. Settle into your hotel then get a feel for this vibrant city and its bright lights, fevered trade and frenetic pace. The evening is free for your first exploration of the city - perhaps get a taste of Shanghai's eclectic food scene, which draws influence from far beyond China's walls.
Day 2 Shanghai - Xitang.
Join your leader today for a walking tour that'll take you back in time. At the Bund you can get a taste of 1920s Shanghai; its spectacular array of Art Deco buildings line what was once the most important financial street in Asia. Wander the narrow winding lanes (longtangs) of Old Shanghai, where you can get a real glimpse into the locals' daily life. Explore the European-influenced French Concession and the tree-lined avenues and Tudor mansions of Luwan's Huaihai Road. In the afternoon, leave Shanghai in the rearview mirror and make the two-hour journey to Xitang, a nearby water town. Once a hub for 19th-century businessmen, Xitang turns on the charm in the evening when all the day trippers go home. Take a stroll along lantern-lit canals and ask your leader for advice on which hole-in-the-wall eatery to pick from, enjoying some classic Chinese cuisine while watching the lights reflected on the waters' surface.
Day 3 Xitang - Xi'an.
Rise and shine to explore the streets of Xitang. Wander across charming bridges and relax by the canals, sip steaming cups of tea, learn about local history at one of the many museums or simply get lost among the maze of peaceful cobblestone streets - a welcome break from the bustle of modern Shanghai. Return to Shanghai and board an overnight hard sleeper train bound for Xi'an. The journey will take around 15 hours in total, though you'll hopefully be sleeping for most of it. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious but it's certainly one of the best ways to come face to face with the country and its people, as it's the main form of transport for locals.
Day 4 Xi'an.
Arrive in Xi'an, the capital of Shaanxi Province and the largest city in northwest China. Once the imperial centre of China for 2000 years, Xi'an is now a vibrant, modern city dotted with many interesting historical sites and is a great place to explore. Today you'll join your leader on a short walking tour to uncover what was once the start of the ancient Silk Road. Perhaps visit the Bell & Drum Towers, the former built (according to legend) to restrain the dragons that were causing earthquakes, the latter is full of drums, once used to mark time and warn of emergencies. The city also has a wonderful Muslim Quarter, and you'll wander past quaint shops, lively markets, groups of white-bearded men in skull caps sipping tea in cafes and the Great Mosque, one of the most important in China. See the City Walls and Gates, running over 13 kilometres around the city, then check out your eclectic food options ranging from delicious Muslim fare to great Chinese dumplings. Perhaps visit the night markets and try some of the tantalising local specialties such as pao mo (lamb broth with flat bread), hand-pulled noodles and meat skewers.
Day 5 Xi'an.
Today you'll journey outside of Xi'an (approximately 2 hours) and visit what is undoubtedly one of the man-made wonders of the world - the Terracotta Warriors. Learn all about this incredible archaeological find, which was discovered after being buried for 2000 years. These clay statues depicting soldiers, horses and chariots were commissioned by the emperor Qin Shi Huangdi as part of his mausoleum after he ascended to the throne in 264 BC. See over 1000 warriors, each individually sculpted from clay and with a different costume, height and facial expression. Afterwards you'll enjoy lunch with a local family nearby.
Day 6 Great Wall.
Today is a big day of travelling so grab some snacks for the journey. Transfer to the railway station then board the high-speed train to Beijing (approx. six hours). Watch the landscape change from farmland and villages to industrialised cities and urban sprawl. On arrival in Beijing, board a private vehicle and make the three-hour drive into the countryside, where you'll spend the night in a family-run guesthouse. This evening your host will show you how to make dumplings for dinner.
Day 7 Great Wall - Beijing.
This morning you'll visit a section of the Great Wall and spend some time exploring, taking photos and learning the history of this mighty site (and sight). An incredible piece of engineering, the wall stretches 6000 kilometres west from Beijing. It was originally constructed to protect Chinese empires from invaders from the north and even though it failed in this purpose, it's still one of the country's most remarkable achievements and an iconic destination. Stroll along the top of the wall, which snakes through the hills almost endlessly into the distance, and you may feel like you have it all to yourself. You'll then journey back to Beijing your last stop on your tour. The capital of the most populous country on earth, Beijing is frenetic city with ancient pockets. There are plenty of places that will give you a great insight into the nation's ancient past as well as China's contemporary culture.
Day 8 Beijing.
Make your way to the centre of the city. Tiananmen Square, supposedly the largest downtown square in the world - is the symbolic centre of Chinese power. Framed by the Gate of Heavenly Peace, Mao's Mausoleum and the Great Hall of the People, it's a place of pilgrimage for the Chinese tourists who consider it to be the heart of their nation. It's from here that you'll enter the enormous Forbidden City, which was built more than 500 years ago and has been off limits to commoners for almost all that time. Despite the transformation of the city around it, the Forbidden City looks much like it always has. Explore the halls and courtyards and you'll appreciate the might and grandeur of the Imperial Chinese court during the Ming and Qing dynasties. In the afternoon, enjoy some free time to explore on your own. Maybe check out the Temple of Heaven before getting together with your fellow travellers for a farewell dinner. There's no better way to celebrate the end of your journey than with a crispy Peking duck unless, of course, you don't eat duck.
Day 9 Beijing.
There are no activities planned for the final day and you are able to depart the accommodation at any time after check out. Perhaps take a trip to the 798 Art District, cycle round the city with Beijing Urban Adventures or explore the beautiful, Tibetan-style monastery of Yonghegong (the Lama Temple).
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 24 December 2018 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on [XXXX share] unless otherwise stated.
- 10% discount applies to Intrepid small group tours in Central America, South America, Japan & China, departing between 15 January and 30 June 2019. Discount excludes Polar, Expeditions, Short Break Adventures, Urban Adventures, private groups, Adventure Cruising operated by Variety and tours operated by external 3rd party suppliers. Discount applies to new bookings only, made and deposited at any Flight Centre Australia store from 01 December to 24 December 2018. The discount applies to the land tour price only and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and are not combinable. Discount does not apply to local payments/kitty, permits, additional travel arrangements, international and local airfares. Deposit of $400 per person per trip is required upon booking and full payment is due 56 days prior to departure. If booking within 56 days of departure, full payment is due immediately. All tours are subject to availability. Prices are per person based on twin share accommodation, low season and include the discount. Prices, itineraries and inclusions are subject to change without notice. Standard booking conditions apply as per Intrepid website www.intrepidtravel.com Consultants please use promo code 66744 Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- Prices quoted are based on cheapest available at time of advertising and may be higher depending on date of purchase and date of travel. Please enquire for further details..
The above information has been obtained from the relevant suppliers and should be considered an indicative guide only as to the prices that may be available for these products. Flight Centre cannot guarantee that any particular product will still be available at the following prices, or for your exact dates of travel. At the time of making your booking, prices may differ to that price displayed on this website. Please contact a Flight Centre travel consultant to obtain the latest up to date information regarding applicable prices, fees and charges, taxes, availability, any blackout dates (such as school holidays), seasonal surcharges and other terms and conditions which may apply.
Contact an Expert to find out more about this tour and other amazing tours!
From quick getaways to dream holidays
We're the biggest travel agency south of the equator with access to destinations right around the world. Anywhere you want to go, we can take you there.
Book Now Pay Later!
Where ever you want to fly, cruise, tour or stay, you can holiday sooner with our Interest Free Holidays.
Real People, Real Experience, Real Easy
Our Travel Experts love travel as much as you do. Book with us, knowing you're getting the best advice from the best in the business.